It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon, the test-tube burger: Lab-grown meat 'needed to feed the world'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blackrain17

ya, i'd try one too.

but would not make it a habit!

bourdain is paid to eat all that weird stuff, i'm not and it ain't that cheap!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I think people are getting hung up on the its not the natural way we have been getting beef. This forum is not a natural way for humans to communicate, by way of keyboard and internet. Not face to face understand what I mean?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

It's just ignorance. Let's say someone on this forum needed an organ transplant, they could careless if it was engineered from a stem-cell. Like I said, they are confused between GMO and genetically engineered.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I guess your right about that, random fact. Scientists have devised a way to create an organ copy machine its really hard to explain I'll try to find the article I read it in, however I think it will change how we humans look at Stem cells and Embryonic cells

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

My thoughts exactly. These are the same folks who are responsible for flouride, aspartame, corn that makes "anti-sperm antibodies", and a host of other nightmares.

It's not always the technology thats bad. It's the people behind the technology.

Soylent Green Anyone?

What caught my eye: "corn that makes 'anti-sperm antibodies'" -- you know that's done on purpose.

Depopulation anyone?

TCM aired "Soylent Green" -- an ancient movie from the 70's where Earth is so over-populated and the oceans so polluted that humans are forced to eat their own dead.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
Oh that's nothing....the Japanesse are researching using sewage mud to make artificial meat. Lots of protein in that poo....nothing like a poo burger...

www.youtube.com...

I watched the video. This is one of the most disgusting ideas ever.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Soylent Green isn't on my menu. Nothing new to me, I wouldn't touch most of what some of you consider edible.
Each to their own.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
So this is like cloning meat?? Why not clone human flesh xD? What about cannibals? would it still be cannibalism?

Enjoy that burger

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
One of my best friends is a committed vegetarian, however he has always stated that it is to do with the idea of animal consciousness and that he would eat meat if it could be grown without a brainstem.

It's time for him to keep his word. Off to McLaboratories we go.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Before we invest years of time and billions of dollars to be able to grow tasteless hamburger meat, how about instead we figure out how to grow replacement hearts, livers, etc that will save the lives of humans that die every day rather than use the saving of cows lives as justification to get yet another earmark in the budget for some fad science project.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I think we obviously need some insight to see whats going into this stuff. But if it is indeed safe then I am all for it. I know plenty of people that would love to be vegetarian so they can avoid taking lives to feed themselves, but for whatever health reasons, they found they got sick when they tried. This would be perfect for them. And for the rest of the veggies (like myself) we have a choice and choice is always good. Not sure I would take it since my health has been frickin' awesome since I went veggie, but hey, some might and thats good.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Fish is practically a vegetable.

Roughly translated as: ''I enjoy eating fish, so I'll attempt to convince myself that they are little more than vegetables, in an attempt to ease my conscience every time I kill and eat them''.

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I will never eat lab grown meat, that is not how God intended it.

I think that your above comment tells us all we need to know about the flawed basis which you use to justify your stance on this subject.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
One thing that strikes me here is the fact that obviously most of the replies are dead against this lab grown hamburger... But what everybody seems to be forgetting is what goes in your hamburgers anyway.

It is widely known that the very worst cuts of the cow, including mechanically recovered meat is what comprises processed products such as hamburgers, and has even been highlighted in the UK on shows like Kill It, Cook It, Eat It.

On another point, I don't understand why they feel the need to grow hamburgers in a petri dish, and especially when their last product was, in their own words, unappetising.

There have been fake meat products like Quorn on the market for years already, and although it's not entirely like chicken, it's still not really 'unappetising' - surely stem cell research should be focussing on providing organs and limbs for transplant at this time and not wasted on test tube burgers.

*ETA*

reply to post by denynothing

There is nothing natural about using Mechanical Recovery on real beef either, it's pretty gross actually!

edit on 28-6-2011 by rufusthestuntbum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Does that mean steak will cost less? I love steak.

And no, I will not eat Japenese crap burgers.
edit on 28-6-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

What caught my eye: "corn that makes 'anti-sperm antibodies'" -- you know that's done on purpose.
Depopulation anyone?

Speaking of which. Here's a link to that. And there's a link on that page for more reading.
anti-sperm antibodies...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
They had something like that on the (now canceled) comedy show Better off Ted
it ended up costing more to produce than real beef if they wanted it to taste like beef. I agree that we in America tend to eat too much meat portionwise but still if I want to eat something that's not meat....I'd rather have veggies or something not synthetically created in a test tube.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

It allows for energy consumption
Energy processing within the body
Frees the animals from their tormented lifestyles
adds good KARMA to sapiens sapiens species for tyring to seek better ways to get energy or food

I LIKE THE IDEA!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
Just one more thing that confirms I made the right choice to become a vegetarian.

Enjoy your steak - BTW what cut of meat is that?

edit on 27-6-2011 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

But this solves the problem, doesn't it?
You can eat meat guilt free,

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imhotepsol
WTF is with you people. They finally get something that can help us and most people are like "ehhhh noooo". I loose more and more faith in this forum every day. I can understand about anything else but the ability to create meat without harming any animals that is going to be used to feed a rapidly expanding population I really don't see the problem.

If we ever travel into deep space you think they'll be brining cows and farms on spaceships or do you think it'll be more like this? The futures here get over it.
edit on 27/6/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

A large part of the problem we face is that we're willing to cry about the problems but we're not happy with doing anything about it if it interferes with the way we like things... a lot of people I know complain about high gas prices but wouldn't dare own a hybrid because it wouldn't be manly ..

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Yeah we're so surprisingly backwards as a race we only move forwards to fall on our faces sometimes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join