It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Alamos under mandatory evacuation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Los Alamos under mandatory evacuation

www.krqe.com

LOS ALAMOS, NEW MEXICO (KRQE) - A mandatory evacuation has been placed on the city of Los Alamos after fire officials are reporting the fire is now threatening Los Alamos.

Officials are ordering a mandatory evacuation which will begin and proceed in this order:

Group 1: Western, Quemazon, Ponderosa;
Group 2: North Community, Barranca Mesa, North Mesa;
Group 3: East of Diamond and the remainder of the town site. White Rock is NOT being evacuated at this time. Residents in Los Alamos should NOT go to White Rock to stay in case it is later evacuated.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.koat.com
www.kob.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wildfire threatens Los Alamos National Lab
New Mexico is on fire. Los Alamos residents are evacuating,
edit on 6/27/2011 by AdmireTheDistance because: more sources

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This just keeps getting worse. The Las Conchas fire started yesterday at 3,300 acres. Last I heard on the radio it was now up to 46,000 acres.

The live news report on KRQE about 15 minutes ago said the fire was still about 12 miles outside the city, but was spreading rapidly, due to wind gusts up to 60mph.

www.krqe.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Am reading about this fire on twitter- #NMfire it is getting worse and growing rapidly. Saw one post that said one of the non-chemical labs was burning. They are unable to stop this.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The reasons these get so bad is because they always put them out and don't do enough controlled burns. All this junk just builds up then explodes into a disaster like this.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
At this point it seems the catastrophic flooding occurring may be the only thing to stop these fires...this is crazy. i really wish the best for those affected.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's pretty scary. Fortunately, the town of Los Alamos is expecting isolated thundershowers tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Source

I'm in the south and we are having quite a few clouds. Expecting thundershowers tomorrow, too.
edit on 6/27/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You see Africa... It was once lush. Now a desert. This is the beginning of the change.. climate change will once again re-write the ecosystem. where we once had lush forests, it will be dunes...

Sucks, but the fires/climate is how it begins slowly... We're talking dunes in L.A.... not sparce desert.
edit on 6/27/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
thats bad news seems to me they would be doing more than they are

los alamos home of the bomb so to speak whats next radioactive cloud covering what fukishima didnt get.

people we will be glowing in the dark soon.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Does this mean that the dunes than become lush forests?

I shall start buying up land in the Sahara then

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by Pharyax

I shall start buying up land in the Sahara then

Not necessarily, but you DO see where that 'missing rain' is dumping down, flooding areas around the planet.. Australia, Pakistan, etc.... Its happening MUCH faster than I ever thought.. I was expecting these changes in 20 yrs, not this year.

Hope its just La Nina...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Just saw this:

Las Conchas Fire Enters LANL Property; Lab Announces Closure for Tuesday, June 27

source

A one-acre spot fire was reported in Water Canyon, within Technical Area 49, on the Lab’s southwestern boundary. Reports from the field say the fire has jumped to the north across New Mexico State Route 4.

The Lab is supporting Los Alamos County as it conducts a staged, mandatory evacuation of the town site.

Now the fire is confirmed to have spread to the property of Los Alamos National Labs. LANL is, among other things, a nuclear facility, so what sort of possible situations are we looking at here, if the fire should continue to spread in and around the labs?

edit on 6/27/2011 by AdmireTheDistance because: spelling

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Yea I know climate change is gonna happen just now how or where or to what degree. Not sure if the global warming might have been a reason for these fires recently as I haven't looked into it to see if it's outside the normal scope of things but good point.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What will this do to the Los Alamos facility? Is it in danger?

I agree about the controlled burns. I had a teacher tell me this happens in places like national forests because environmentalist groups don't want anything taken out of the woods, so it over grows. No one removes dead wood or sick trees or brush. And fires just explode because of all the fuel lying around. He used that as an example of what stewardship meant. He said stewardship and conservation should work hand in hand.

The good news is that is happening now in TN. We've not had a really bad fire in a few years. I hope the idea takes hold in other places as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
More people are now being displaced by another natural disaster. FEMA is tapped out. Flooding in one area of the country another part is drought. Either or, in this economy the victims will feel the pain. Regarding this lab that is threatened, I really don't think we would hear the truth if some toxic building burned. It is a scary time.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

The victims won't be the only ones to feel the pain. We're all gonna feel at the grocery store later this year. Next year, I don't want to think about.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
this is a reason you do controlled burns...not let this stuff build up the way they do...we do them all the time here in montana to help avoid anything too large and out of control...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

I agree with you but the pseudo environmentalist don't understand and fight against this. Another thing is neighborhoods that are in heavily treed areas near to keep up with slash. My neighbor still has downed trees from a blizzard 2 years ago. I live in a current high fire danger zone so everyone of these fires grabs my attention.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Do you all realize that Los Alamos is a nuclear facility and that they have about 30,000 55 gallon drums of nuclear waste under a tent waiting to be disposed of? What happens if the fire reaches this stuff?

www.forbes.com...
edit on 27-6-2011 by lightworker2011 because: I'm stupid and don't know how to attach a link! LOL

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Mars used to be lush and covered with water...

The Earth is a sponge... as we increase pollution we create more acid rain. This acidic rain increases the speed that the water dissolves the limestone and disappears into the Earth. Expect more sink holes and droughts as time goes on

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I wonder how many employees are left at the lab to see that
all remains safe - yea right, safe it isn't as of right now.
I use to live in NM and visited Los Alamos serveral times
and always wondered why the lab was there, all those
trees, frequent forest fires.

So much going on right now regarding nuclear and
hazardous materials. I keep going back and forth
on the threads - Japan, Los Alamos, Nebraska -
so many lives in jeopardy right now. Very frightening
situations.

What is going on - are all the mistakes of the past
coming back to haunt us?

new topics

top topics