It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We may be on the verge of a major geological event in the South Pacific

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Duplicate post. Please delete.

edit on 28-6-2011 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

The fact that the quakes and after shocks are so ;localised, wouldnt mean that after 7500 in the last yeat the stress may be somewhat relieved and further shocks would be smaller no?
Japan too had many aftershocks and they were earthquakes in their own rights at above 6 and 5.
Is it possible there is a way to compute the position of a celestial object given the locations and stranghts of the earth tremors on a nearby planet somehow?
I still cant imagine that such huge movements are not caused by a change in gravtic forces....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

The fact that the quakes and after shocks are so ;localised, wouldnt mean that after 7500 in the last yeat the stress may be somewhat relieved and further shocks would be smaller no?
Japan too had many aftershocks and they were earthquakes in their own rights at above 6 and 5.
Is it possible there is a way to compute the position of a celestial object given the locations and stranghts of the earth tremors on a nearby planet somehow?
I still cant imagine that such huge movements are not caused by a change in gravtic forces....

I have read a lot of stuff and seen a lot of videos on this theory of a celestial body being the cause, One stated that Jupiter's orbit is the cause of the big quakes we've had since a long time back. A quick google on "Jupiter Cause of Japan Quake" should bring up data on that theory.

Then there was the theory of Comet Elenin - but that was "Debunked" due to there not being any exact line-up's whenever a quake happened.. that being said I reserve a personal unsolicited theory that there may be a delay before we feel the effects of those line-ups.. perhaps.. This is getting a touch off-topic perhaps but just a bit of information on that subject matter that I think may be of relevance to your own theory.

Something definitely seems to be up regarding the Christchurch Quakes and yeah, for me, the jury still isn't quite out as to whether or not I think it's a precursor to a much bigger situation or not just yet... tho time and more information from reliable sources will tell.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Good post I thought I would check this out with the same tool that brought another anomaly in earthquakes up. looks like that fault is hot this year.
www.wolframalpha.com...

Here is the other oddity another thread touched on notice the big W from 1975 to around 2001. Where did all the big quakes go? Bah I cant get the like to take.

www.wolframalpha.com...>+6+from+1955+to+2011

edit on 28-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: Can not get the links to take

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxCavalera

First of all, let me just say I totally understand where you are coming from however I must say that aorAki has been one of the best sources of information for the Christchurch earthquakes as he lives in the city as do I.

Second of all I think we have quickly moved from the point of the topic which is the increased activity in the south Pacific to Christchurch so lets get back on track. Now there are a million and one different theories that explain the sudden increase of earthquakes and geological events. I agree with both you and aorAki with your reasoning yet you have to understand, the fact is the world is growing massively with population. More and more people are turning to the media for their source of news and ofcourse to meet demand, more networks and such are being set up. Did you ever notice how the original Christchurch earthquake in september last year suddenly disappeared off the television and front pages of news websites? Simple explanation: Defined not news worthy due to a lack of drama and death which would not give the outlets the required ratings. However, as soon as the 6.3 quake occured, news teams from all over the world were flying into Christchurch to report infront of the destroyed city. Now personally, I believe that if the media had continued to give the city the attention it needed, searched for opinions of other seismologists and such, we could have prepared ourselves for the large aftershock/earthquake in both february and the more recent one on june 13th (5.7 and 6.3 magnitude respectively).

You have to understand that these plates are constantly moving and that eventually something has to give. Chile and Japan have large earthquakes all the time, all you have to do is look it up on wikipedia or USGS. If you want to talk about spikes and increases of earthquakes then you don't have to look far, it has been increasing for the past so many years as technology has been improved, reading more and more weak earthquakes. Below is a link to a graph from 1973 to 1997, showing the large increase of earthquakes and i am more than sure if you look around for a more up to date graph you will easily find that they have been increasing tenfold again.

www.michaelmandeville.com...

I do think you are right that we should be looking into this as it is only time until the pacific plate readjusts it's north east corner (North America) and it will be a world changing event. I also think that the Indo-Australian plate is causing havoc with the tiny indonesian plates shown here:

upload.wikimedia.org...

But i'm not sure if this is anything to be too concerned about. Personally i believe that we should more be focusing on the possibilities of the mega thrust quake that will be generated in the states as no matter what country, the US economy effects you. If not prepared, well it's easy to predict that the world economy will feel abit of a dip.

Semoro.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

I'm mostly staying out of this thread but I have to ask where you get your data from? It's very wrong.

Here is an list of actual quakes showing that they are not increasing as rapidly as you claim and are actually staying quite within the norm.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

This coming from the site that does not recieve all data correctly as most Christchurch/out of US earthquakes are not reported and registered properly? Evidence: Christchurch's earthquakes were all smaller than official sizes and made to seem insignificant.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

I am sorry but if it happens let it we cannot stop it, but we can hope a better world will come out of it. If it dont happen you can bet some day it will and some time after that it will happen again and again, just maybe this wonderful screwed up world will find a better way to do things. Eather way I will not lose any sleep over it, because it just not worth crying about.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I realize that this post has become a personal debate between two members which I have read with interest.

Having lived in the Aleutian island chain of Alaska and now reside in Calif. and have experienced MANY major earthquakes and their after shocks I have always wondered if they are related.

For those newer members with a interest in this subject and those ho may not know of it,there is a very good program that you can use to visualize all earthquakes for the past 50 years.

You can down load it here.

It will allow a person to visualize on a world map all the quakes and volcano eruptions as they happen sequentially.

I have been keeping a eye on the Alaskan archipelago,Puerto Rico and the South Pacific.

I was offered a few times a temp assignment in Christchurch

They always said it was a nice place and friendly people but I always turned them down.

Not to many things scares the bejeezus out of me, but strong quakes do.

If you download and install the program,run the update in "options" you will see and realize the two faults in question ARE connected.

All of the worlds faults are connected and energy relesed from one quake will eventually cause another quake.

For every action there has to be a reaction,somehow,somewhere.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by john1287

Well said, agree with every single word.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Earth crust displacement anyone !?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luzifer
reply to post by john1287

Well said, agree with every single word.

even "Eather"?
lolz sory could not resist

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Iamjustan,,, that was a good reply and nice link thanks.

I like to watch this website,
Live Earth Quake Map

What i have noticed since the begining of the year is the increase of Magnitude in the south pacific rim.
Just look at all the quakes now in the 4.5 to 5+ factor and daily, They just seemed to jump in magnitude since about 4+ months ago to almost daily events.

The Alaskan and Californian zones were all small ripples,, and the last few big hits in fox islands were nice as i was wondering when that would go. I am now thinking when will a Big one in USA be next.

There IS something happening here, I feel we are close to seeing something Super Big Hit.

My Bet is California areas. God i am pleased i am not in Japan that must be real hard to handle.

As for Christchurch, Some interesting things have been happening there, Hot water Springs in Akaroa? can you chch members confirm this?

I heard of another report where a damn containing a huge amount of water was emptied in the Rotorua area some months back. any commments on that?
My thoughts go to Lake Taupo a Mega Volcano, when will she come to life,

The Structure around Christchurch is Weak Volcanic Strata all the way to Darfield - Mt Somers old volcanic field, heavily shattered weak materials, I am thinking that Christchurch has not seen the last by any means.

As for the Alpine faults not moving? it carries no weight, for All of New Zealand is moving.
have you ever Looked the Huge EarthQuake that Hit the Clarance Ward Beach area at the turn of the century.
Few Know that Sailing Ships used to enter Ward Creek / Stream, The whole area was lifted many many meters leaving high and dry the warfs which were about 3km from the present coastline.

Check out this great sequence of the recent Christchurch Quakes. Where would you like to rebuild?.
Christchurch Earth Quakes Sequence Map

Cheers and good luck to you all in Christchurch and else where!.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339
Given that two of the ten most powerful earthquakes of all time have happend in the last sixteen months...I tend to think that indicates something is up. Yes, we monitor more closely. Yes, there is more news coverage. But that doesn't mean that more isn't happening. I think that is something we tell ourselves that is getting quickly outdated. I am also not totally freaking out just yet. But, I am paying attention.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Scientists have told us for years that these subduction mega quakes are events that only happen something to the turn of every 500 - 1000 years.

In the last 6 years we have witnessed three of them (Japan, Sumatra, Chili), including 2 in the last 13 months.

Now could this be a coinicidence? Absolutely. But it's a pretty odd one considering we are inching closer to Dec 2012.

Bottom line - To simply concede that all of these EQ's and Volcanoe are perfectly 'normal' is foolish. No scientists or geologist in this world knows what this planet is truly capable of, and historical data has shown that this planet has underwent violent changes in the past - ones that have comletely wiped out species (dinosaurs) and almost wiped out humans.

Also whether you believe God created this earth or something else - It's common knowledlege that at one point there was only one large land mass on this planet surrounded by water. Guess how all the continents were sepearated and formed throughout the years? If you know the answer to this you'll understand that we could be witnesses the start of a similar process.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

yeah my thoughts exactly, especially since I took a look at that Seismic Eruption Software. It seems like avery reliable source of data.

Still I'd love to know the cause as it would help to predict a thorough timeline

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I've been watching this for years and never seen anything like it:

www.ssd.noaa.gov...
www.goes.noaa.gov...

It looks like the Polar Jetstream cut down into the Pacific Ocean almost all the way down to Guam. Weird.

The Sun is pretty active:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join