It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient "Solar Boat" Unearthed at the Giza Pyramids (Pics)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28d310c74137.jpg[/atsimg]

For the first time in centuries, a multi-ton limestone slab—one of dozens—floats free of the "tomb" of a 4,500-year-old, disassembled "solar boat" at the foot of the Great Pyramids in Giza (map), Egypt, on Thursday. Below are hundreds of delicate wooden "puzzle pieces," protected by the climate-controlled tent built over the site in 2008.

Once the months-long process of extracting the pieces is finished, researchers expect to spend several years restoring the ship before placing it on display in Giza's Solar Boat Museum near the Pyramids. A similar ship found nearby has already been reconstructed and is on display in the museum. At about 140 feet (43 meters) long, the restored ship is thought to be a bit bigger than its still fragmented sister

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a6d009d855f.jpg[/atsimg]

Solar boats played an important role in story of the afterlife in ancient Egyptian mythology. Each night the sun god Ra—in the form of the evening sun, Ra-Atum—was thought to sail through the afterlife in one boat to battle gods and beasts until he rose as the morning sun, Ra-Horakhty, and sailed his day boat across the sky.

Sailing With the Sun
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f9a796985632.jpg[/atsimg]

Etchings on a temple wall in Abydos, Egypt, depict a mythical solar boat borne aloft at dawn (file picture). Depictions such as these likely inspired the designs of the ships found buried by the Great Pyramid at Giza.

Assembly Required
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed01fcc56a40.jpg[/atsimg]

In a rare view captured by a National Geographic team's tiny camera in 1987, the second solar boat—its disassembled pieces tightly packed—rests in its underground chamber near the Great Pyramid at Giza, Egypt.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

Now, a fine example of what I believe. Look at the Solar Boat already reconstructed etc. Look, I'll wait.......

Now, you tell me that these peoples at that time believe they existed, were able to master Pyramid building to the point of greatness of the GIZA ones. No way. I still say that most of the other things we see in Egypt are attempts to copy the Giza Pyramids. That they came across them already built (for what ever reason the race was gone) so they believed it was their heritage and came to mimic and worship what they intepruted from what they saw.

I know that many may jump on and dispute my believe but to me, the indiviual craftsmanship that we see just doesn't rise to the level on the Giza excellent work.

Anyway, cool as heck to see and read about. Tossed that video in of the Museum. Enjoy.

Solar Boat Museum at Giza

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I have considered this as well. A very young civilization happens upon the Giza plateau, and builds their whole way of life and belief system around it. Interesting way to look at it. But I think we have some ologists on here that might take issue with that perspective. Whatever the case, history just doesn't seem to be as cut and dried as it's made out to be. S&F.
edit on 6/27/2011 by Klassified because: flow

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, amazing thread.

Well even if they weren't able to build Giza pyramids you have to give them some recognition for being able to store "Solar boats". I mean, it's not easy to keep a boat intact for 4500 years.

S&F
edit on 27/6/11 by dario86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I dig the ancient astronaut theory personally. It does appear that the Ancient Egyptians stumbled upon the Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx and adopted a culture and made it their own.

The question remains. Who built these amazing megalithic structures that would be near on impossible to recreate even with today's technology?

My money is still on extra terrestrials or an extremely advanced ancient civilisation. One of the likes of Atlantis.

So many questions, so little answers!

S+F

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I don't understand how this boat is special at all.. It looks like a normal wooden boat..

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591
I don't understand how this boat is special at all.. It looks like a normal wooden boat..

I think that's part of the OP's point. Look at the boat. And look at the great pyramid. Built by the same people? Maybe. Maybe not.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It's strange how having those boats they never took them to the sea. They certanily had boat-design-and-assembly skills, enough knowledge to sail down the Nile, but never used it to chart any ocean.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
That type of boat wouldn't make it one mile outside of the river. The first big wave would swamp it. The Egyptians were not seafaring for some reason.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Why. We know they thought themselves to be superior, higher from the rest. In fact the words "foreigner" and "stranger" were insults. They also were one of the less expansive (in military terms) empires ever. Shocking.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

On the contrary, the Egyptians were definitely seafaring. We have found seafaring and naval vessels from the reign of Sahure and Hatshepsut, just to name a few. I think the big question is, How far did they wander? South America? North America?

5th Dynasty 2458-2446 BCE Ancient Ships...
edit on 6/27/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The Pyramids and Sphinx were built by a race of giant humanoid people called generically the " Nephilim ". When the great flood came they were destroyed, and the later present human race came upon them. The rest is the rise of the Egyptians.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
is it just me or does the 'Sailing With the Sun' picture of the 'stone carving' look like someone drew/carved it up in the last couple decades? doesn't look anything like ancient Egyptian carvings/drawing/hieroglyphs from the period it is suppose to be from.

another piece of falsified history inserted i am sure by the Jesuits running the Pyramid excavations.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Originally posted by mb2591

I think that's part of the OP's point. Look at the boat. And look at the great pyramid. Built by the same people? Maybe. Maybe not.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed01fcc56a40.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes

Look at the boat and the Great Pyramid. Also look at what the boat was preserved and entombed in. The boat was disassembled then preserved in a large megalithic tomb built of and sealed with large cut stones and slabs which are just as large as those used in the Great Pyramids construction. Look at the above image. Notice how well the blocks fit together?

That fact alone tends to throw a very large wrench into the works of those who question whether it was from the same time period. If they could cut, move and build with the same types and sized stones to seal a "boat" then it figures they could have done the same with the surrounding monuments for a "God King/Pharaoh"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28d310c74137.jpg[/atsimg]
My question always comes back to the "How". Remember, they supposedly didn't have the Pulley during this period. So how did they move and place with such precision? We are told they did not use Iron and or diamonds to cut and or later carve the stones with etc. [Iron would rust away unlike alloys and Diamonds were worth some value and could simply have been stolen or looted]

Finding the boat is awesome don't get me wrong. But until we find a hidden chamber of records or knowledge on how they accomplished many of their feats we will just have to muddle through with what we already know coupled with conjecture and speculation based on known techniques

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me where thes boats were found.. Like what chamber and where?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I saw a documentary recently about ancient egyptian boats. they rebuilt or rather replicated on of the most common boats, and took it to the sea. it did just fine, i think they used bees wax to seal it and the also submerge it underwater for a few weeks.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I saw a documentary recently about ancient egyptian boats. they rebuilt or rather replicated on of the most common boats, and took it to the sea. it did just fine, i think they used bees wax to seal it and the also submerge it underwater for a few weeks.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Old news. 1954 was the 1st boat discovered near Sphinx.

1987 was this 2nd boat, and covered over for protection in 2008.

How is this some NEW discovery? Did I miss something or did you just now learn about it? Its been written about many times and in books of the last few years or so. Hmmm. Confused again....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Perhaps but... consider this.

The people/race who can built these Solar Boats (and replicate the Egyptian Solar Boats):
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea4892a7bee4.jpg[/atsimg]

Can't build these Pyramids: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0c211e5e1207.jpg[/atsimg]

(Which we ofter seem to forget that a whole layer of Limestone blocks are gone)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad114c246a4e.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm just saying.....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Perhaps but... consider this.
The people/race who can built these Solar Boats (and replicate the Egyptian Solar Boats):
Can't build these Pyramids:

Who says we couldn't build them today?

They devoted their lives in that pursuit. [For their God] Also, Do you know how much money and material would be required? They built the Pyramid [for their God] which we in the modern world would laugh at. There would be some [Like myself] who would love for us to build one on their scale but again, in the modern world people would flip out and riot that so much resources was being spent on that instead of feeding millions around the globe etc.

(Which we ofter seem to forget that a whole layer of Limestone blocks are gone)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad114c246a4e.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm just saying.....

IF and that's a great big IF they had used those outer casing to create the location to store the boats that still doesn't answer how they removed them from such great heights [in one piece without falling and shattering] and then repositioned them to that location after the fact.

How they Built the Great Pyramid isn't really that big of a mystery nor as exotic, romantic and or as bizarre as some wish to speculate it was. I still have some questions regarding the accepted time-line and the level of technology used myself though.

edit on 27-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

They didn't build them for God or as an extension of Pharaonic egotism. They built them to illustrate how the cosmos, universe, and Earth interact while at the same time teaching the philosophy of life.

We are so silly to think we have advanced ... I'm sure the ancients would have a good chuckle at this notion!
edit on 27-6-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join