It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Scientist.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moduli
I am a scientist.

Welcome to the board, nerd.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyShaftoe
at which point does this theory stray from sense?

Well, first of all, I'm not watching a four hour video. Second, right off the bat. What he says is just technobabble. He just strings together a bunch of words the thinks sounds good together and goes ahead and says them.

Thanks again for replying i can appreciate that this seems like nonsense to you so you might be un-enamored to watch a four hour video. Maybe i could rephrase the question?

i don't want you to watch all the video, but as you have stated it is all nonsense, could you help me by pointing out where it begins to not make sense and why? (after you figure that out you can stop watching).
i figure if its all nonsense it should only take you a couple of mins to watch up to an appropriate point?

edit on 2626/6/11 by BobbyShaftoe because: all the quote fiddlyness got me flummuxed

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
fascinating. i'm starting college, looking to go into theoretical physics. i love how things all work together. studying what you're made of, and how things work is very interesting.

any tips on progressing through?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Materialist mathematics will only tell you so much, they keep the spiritual/meta-physical stuff well away the text books.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

I am a scientist.

Welcome to the board, nerd.

One of the few moments where you literally do laugh out loud.
star for that

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS, Moduli. I would tell you not to let the stereotypical naysayers bother you, but I see you're way ahead of me on that one

I have no questions for you, but I did want to say I enjoyed your explanations and answers in response to others thus far.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

It seems obvious you didn't read this thread in it's entirety before posting am I right?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

The war is not between god and science...never has been
The war is between religion and science.

And science doesn't kill god, but it does tend to slaughter deitys.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Do you know Brian Cox?

Asked the very same thing on page 1 when this was just an intro thread ... seems like days ago

Woody

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What do you think some of the most important things man can and should do with his gift of conciousness and the infinite potential of its uses?

Can you forsee there ever being a moment in our species time when we are completely satisfied with our existence?

I guess what I mean by that question is our curiousity and insatiable quest for knowledge unlocks unimaginable doors of possibility, Where do you think we as a species, as a civilization are heading, what are we seeking, is this seeking futile? or are we somehow "getting somewhere",... is there anywhere to go?

The only "progess" i can see as being actually of mattering would be severly altering the system of the human body in a subjectively positive way for us, otherwise no matter what we do fly space ships light years, and disect reality to smaller and smaller levels of magnification, we are just monkeys living out our natural law abiding lives, where as if this is all there is to do, why is it not the most important goal to create a system where all can do this equally, harmoniously, and well. But then again much of what is happening and has been happening in science, medicine, and technology leads me to believe that something of the sorts of human alteration will be a reality in the future of progress, and has already been occuring in many subtle and surprising ways.

And also before you stated you did not believe in God... I personally dont know what I believe in, but for some reason because it is possible for us to exist the way we do, and do the things we do, for reality to be of such order, clearity, power, and subtlety,for vast information, matter and energy to be seperate but of one source, all parts doing its own thing, but obeying commands of its nature, for something of intelligence to exist, which may feed on and grow infinitly using its environment of information, how can we say a similar system of different proportions, scale, and power, did not and does not have hands in what is reality? Do you think a skin cell would be surprised to know that it only exists because it is part of a much larger, much more complex, and intelligent, system of cells, which can do things like watch tv, and build a car... the cell would never believe it.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
welcome to ats we can always use good minds here
i am not into your opening post asuming we as members are somehow stupid and the but of your private jokes,
this is why i welcome you
you have joined a crew with different talents and different veiwpoints
we will enjoy your veiwpoint based on your talents
but please dont feel like you can be rude to people if they lack a greater understanding
it is your job as a member who claims to be a scientist to help share knowledge
and bring interesting articles to the membership

if your plan is to "show us how stupid we are"
then i suggest you might be a troll
but if you plan is to spread knowledge
then i look forwards to debating you on the science boards

we seem to be getting alot of attension latley on ATS
and i wounder if your attension is really just for lolz

my question is this
what would you personally do if string theory was to be shown to be "inncorrect"
xploder

link   
How does string theory make life better for us people that aren't getting paid to sit around and think about string theory?

link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by marriah3330

The war is not between god and science...never has been
The war is between religion and science.

And science doesn't kill god, but it does tend to slaughter deitys.

Ehh that's debatable if you look at deities as ancient astronauts, well science does suggest the high probability of life somewhere else in the universe..

That said, there isn't hard evidence to prove this.. only circumstantial evidence to suggest it..

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
my gawd, page 16 already

Well, all theories make predictions to an infinite number of digits generically, but the point was not that string theory made predictions like that, but that it is the logical consequence of theories that do. In other words, string theory makes all the predictions of the Standard Model and of GR, so every experiment ever done supports it.

In other words, String Theory itself makes no solid predictions.

Did I pass?

B- ( would have been a C+, but you said the absence of global time-like killing vectos was cool, so I gave you a bonus)

Still, no star for you!

(2) What is amputation in QFT and why do it?

Oddly enough, it amputates those fancy diagrams that allow you to not have to go through the Horror of canonical quantization.

Horror of canonical quantization? That's the standard technique for quantizing a classical field. Most folks seem to prefer it over the path-integral approach. And it's easy, not a horror

The amputation is to remove corrections that aren't applicable to a scattering process and therefore leave undesired contributions to the S-matrix.

(3) What do bremsstrahlung diagrams due for infrared divergences?

They, uhh, well, describe it? I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Normal people IR regulate things and don't ask stupid questions that don't make IR sense, so they don't have to worry about them!

They don't describe IR divergences.

This is basic to radiative corrections in QFT.

Including Bremsstarhlung diagrams cancels divergences coming from k-> 0 end of loop-momentum integrals

(4) Is energy conserved globally in General Relativity? How does this specifically relate to Killing Vectors

No, and it's totally awesome that it's not! There are no global timelike Killing vectors in generic spaces in GR.

it IS totally awesome, isn't it ;-)

(5) Name some different ways of obtaining Christoffel Symbols? (Computer methods don't count here)

Well normal people use a textbook or review article that has them listed, or a notebook that someone once scrawled the hopefully-correct answer in. You can do it from the metric tensor if you want though (and should on the homework set, of course!). Well, assuming it's metric compatible anyway, if it's not you're in for some more annoying fun. If you want to be fancy, you can calculate two entirely different connections whose difference magically gives you the one you want to calculate.

I was looking for something along the lines of variational approach. Most folks that have to do this by hand seem to prefer some variational method.

(7) What is a D-Brane and how does it relate to gravity?

D stands for "choose the boundary conditions you though were wrong until the '90s" and it's a soliton and it can be a flat black hole if it makes you happy.

D stands for Dirchlet. Gravity involves closed strings and therefore boundary conditions don't need to be satisfied in a way that requires "attaching" the string ends to a space-filling D-brane.

It's also the simple explanation behind the idea of why gravity may be leaking into "other" dimensions

edit on 26-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

It's always nice to see people of a scientific bent enter into discourse on this site. All too often fantasy is the genre into which most posts would be classified, if one were to define the content of this site as literature. I must admit, there are a few things that I believe are possible that many would consider to be fantasy. One of which is the possibility of "perpetual motion". Of course, the second law of thermodynamics makes that idea theoretically impossible. My question for you is: do you know of any theories or experiments that defy the law of increased entropy? I can think of one: Maxwell's Demon. I hate being incorrect about things, so if I am wrong in assuming that there might be loopholes in this "law" and therefore there is a *possibility* that we one day may develop "free" energy, please, put me back in place.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

Thanks for this bringing down back to earth thread m8.
Enjoyed reading.

Have a few questions for you, hope you can help.
Been pondering over who actually was first, the chicken or the egg.
Plus, why are banana's bent?

Would like to see you come up with an answer on these two, and a more serious question:

Is God anywhere in your research?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Everyone's a genius, a brain surgeon, an astrophysicist, et cetera, on the internetz.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
So you're one of the folks working towards making string theory the TOE (theory of everything), I take it. Welcome, and please post. I, for one, am excited to have somebody like you around. String theory (what basics I understand, not having much of a background in quantum physics) is something I've always found fascinating.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Are you familiar with the work of Garret Lisi? From my understanding he disagrees with string theory, and I found his ideas to make more sense, although I am no physicist!

If this question has already been asked I apologize but I do not have time to filter through all the responses.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join