It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Tell me... what kind of survival topics "You" want to read about

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by Champagne
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Ok, I get that. That is one of the reasons I am planning to leave Virginia. I will most likely head for Florida though.

Funny enough, I am in VA. In the Blue Ridge Mountains. What area in VA are you? Not exact area, just ball park.
edit on 25-6-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)
Tidewater/Hampton Roads

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
any information about moorland and mountain survival. I live on an island covered in moors. There is peat here that can be gathered to make a fire, but it needs to dry a lot first. There are no trees and stuff like that, but plenty of water....

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Tidewater/Hampton Roads

AH, you are on the eastern part of VA. Ever been west in VA? It's all mountains/country on this side.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/225931d282d3.png[/atsimg]
Maslow's hierarchy of needs

I've always wanted to know if there is a replacement for Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. As this thing is all about feelings and belonging at the higher levels, and says nothing about technology or small group self governance. For instance, how much does it take to start up a class teaching the very young how to read and write.

The pyramid of needs above presumes that at the higher levels all these societal functions are automatically taken care of. But what if we are trying to survive the breakdown of some of the middle strata. What if a group of survivalist come out of the ruins and are ready to start generating AC/DC power again.

I'm trying to survive modern society. We used to go to space, now we don't. We used to have a fairly sober society, now we don't. We used to be able to repair our own vehicles, now we can't.

I want some answers on how to survive consumerism. Both before, during, and after.

David Grouchy

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Tidewater/Hampton Roads

AH, you are on the eastern part of VA. Ever been west in VA? It's all mountains/country on this side. Sure. I used to go to luray caverns, and I drove through the blue ridge mountains. IIRC there is a "parkway" or something where you can see all of the beautiful scenery. It is nice area, but I am not a "mountain person". I am an "ocean person". I can appreciate the beauty of the mountains and the scenic vistas, but the sea is my home.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Tidewater/Hampton Roads
Sure. I used to go to luray caverns, and I drove through the blue ridge mountains. IIRC there is a "parkway" or something where you can see all of the beautiful scenery. It is nice area, but I am not a "mountain person". I am an "ocean person". I can appreciate the beauty of the mountains and the scenic vistas, but the sea is my home.

I understand completely. I am actually a sea person myself. I would much rather live on the water than in the mountains. It's beautiful over here, but I'd rather live near the ocean. My astrology sign in the fish after all

dr_strangecraft

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'd like to see some discussion of the problems specific to social unrest in a survival scenario.

For instance:

-how to cook food, or use a fire for warmth, when the smell may bring predators of the two-legged variety.

-What to do about the sound of a motor or generator, once the silence becomes deafening. With planes grounded and no supply network for gasoline, the roar of most suburban areas will subside. Without the a/c, most people will be sleeping with their windows open.

-Most survival plans I see discussed involve hunting for meat. But once there is no active game warden or police patrols, how will the deer population be affected? Will deer be cleared out in a feeding frenzy, once the grocery stores have all been looted? How far will the sound of a gunshot carry in the silence of a post-industrial world? Wouldn't it be a viable strategy for social parasites to track hunters, and rob them once they've made a kill?

Most posts remark on the danger of social anarchy, but no specific plans are made, other than to have the biggest guns. I wonder whether specific strategies might address the problems of hunting, cooking, or actually using all the gear you've save up.

WatchRider

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Storys about what people have gotten up to when they go out into the wilderness, like creepy, strange stuff that get's people exited and fired up about the outdoors again

Shadowalker

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think water is the most critical resource to cover. This is where even the folks who prep heavy may fail. The reason being the systems they choose do not have the lifespan to withstand a long term event such as 5-7 years.

I pride myself in having three systems. In reality two will reach their max lifespans in 1-2 years. The third in six years.

I obviously believe I have 30 more years on this rock at best so why haven't I covered all of that time? I can't say. Chasing too many other things in the complex structure needed to sustain. Might be able to go 9-10 years of nomadic life if all systems performed to specs but they seldom do. As a nomad I can't really pack around a 4 stage stainless steel distiller.... then again none of the field expedient methods are 100% safe, and a fire to boil every day is not part of my staying in the shadows and never being noticed philosophy.

That basically leaves ceramic cleanable filters. And of course the better those work the shorter the lifespan.

DaddyBare

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
With all the people heading out into the wilderness with their survival stuff when the big emergency comes what is your honest opinion on the survival rate of these folks. Reading books and frequenting survival forums is good but would you be willing to tell us how many of these people actually have a chance on making it.

Honestly... it depends on what time of year they have to move.... here in North American this time of year summer they have a pretty good chance of establishing themselves somewhere else...just a guess but maybe a 60% first year survival rate.... but id this SHTF event occurs over the winter... we could see survival rates as low as 10 in per thousand... most of those loses from exposure...

DaddyBare

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Obviously you'll want your fires cooking or heat to be as smokeless as possible... hardwoods are a good choice.... very dry pine as long as it doesn't have too much resin...Ideally you want to burn on a moonless night or on a windy day where any smoke will be quickly dispersed.... do your cooking in bulk then you can reheat left over in a makeshift solar oven...

as for hunting... you know a lot of modern Americans simply don't know how to hunt.... or sure they might dismantle the domestic cattle populations but real wildlife knows where hunters are in the woods... especially loud noisy bushwhacking don't know what their doing want-a-be hunters... So coming from a very experienced Elk hunter... A lot of people will be eating their pets long before they get close enough to a deer to get a shot off...

there's a good reason we call hunting an art...a skill... it takes training and experience to master.... A good hunter isnt going to kill off all his pray, only take what he needs.... as for the other's... they can eat their poodles winner dogs

Shadowalker

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I'd like to see some discussion of the problems specific to social unrest in a survival scenario.

For instance:

-how to cook food, or use a fire for warmth, when the smell may bring predators of the two-legged variety.

-What to do about the sound of a motor or generator, once the silence becomes deafening. With planes grounded and no supply network for gasoline, the roar of most suburban areas will subside. Without the a/c, most people will be sleeping with their windows open.

-Most survival plans I see discussed involve hunting for meat. But once there is no active game warden or police patrols, how will the deer population be affected? Will deer be cleared out in a feeding frenzy, once the grocery stores have all been looted? How far will the sound of a gunshot carry in the silence of a post-industrial world? Wouldn't it be a viable strategy for social parasites to track hunters, and rob them once they've made a kill?

Most posts remark on the danger of social anarchy, but no specific plans are made, other than to have the biggest guns. I wonder whether specific strategies might address the problems of hunting, cooking, or actually using all the gear you've save up.

Those are all critical topics that should be covered in depth.

I will add one more. How to locate your camp so it is bypassed and missed by people trained to hunt down and find humans. My old buddy who passed was LRRP on the cambodian-viet border. He taught me the secrets they used to find hidden encampments in the mountains. That would be a great topic to cover as it relates back to a couple in your list above.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join