It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Tell me... what kind of survival topics "You" want to read about

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So here it is... a lazy Saturday morning... I already mowed and fed the chickens and now is when I sit down to write... only today I'm not sure what to talk about...
I've been toying with another idea.. how to pick the best defence/hunting weapon... but that's been done to death... we've talked about Bugging out and where to go... or not to go... we've even talked about homesteading and DYI projects.... SO how to render Lard wasn't one of my bigger hits... but you all loved how to drive your own well...

That brings us to my current writers block dilemma... what to write next???

Rather than just fumble in the dark I thought why not just ask and so I am...

What is it that you want to know, learn??? What is that one burning, nagging question you always want to ask but were afraid too???

Now's your chance... ask away...I might not know the answer right off but I bet between the other members here we can find you an answer...

so come on, dont be shy... the only stupid question is the one never spoken...

Just keep it clean and on topic... remember kids read these too

edit on 25-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hi there!
Finding and storing fresh water and purifying water.
I would also like to know what ideas you have for battling stifling heat.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You are awesome sir! Most people around me think I'm nuts when I talk about survival. And blogs... just have too much crazy banter in them to follow. Simple, to the point advice is a wonderful thing to offer!

I have so many questions! You don't have to answer all of them.

Unlike the person above me, I would like to know how to manage surviving in extreme cold. It got to 20 below where I live this winter. For about 2 weeks straight. I would go outside and after 5 minutes, I was shivering uncontrollably.

Also, best way to store food and water... I've read that bottled water isn't necessarily good because the chemicals in the plastic seep into the water. Although I don't think I'd really worry about chemicals in a SHTF scenario.
Food. Canned? Dehydrated? Is it worth it to buy one of those campers stoves and a few pots and stuff? What about MRE's? I can't imagine my children eating those regardless of how hungry they become.

Surviving bad air.. either do to nuclear attack, yellowstone blowing, or anything else that would make the air un-breathable.

Weapons. There is a gun show here in August and I've been researching on the type of gun I should buy. I'm a petite woman, but I'm strong. I'd like a gun that packs a lot of punch, but isn't totally ridiculous as far as weight.
And any other weapons that might come in handy!

Thank you so much for reaching out and making yourself available to answer some of these questions!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

the most common method is Rain Barrels and Cisterns....
Quick lesson over at LID Urban Design

this type of system give you two types of water... potable and non-potable other wise known as drinking water... when you think about it you really only need to filter a very small percent of your total water usage... just to drink and cook with... it's perfectly fine to bathe in non-potable water as long as it's not overrun with mosquito larva...

as how to find water I have one word for you... Dowsing

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I would like to hear what to do if I'm a totally unprepared average American who doesn't typically read these topics and an EMP attack goes off in the US shutting down power everywhere. I guess an alternative scenario would be a massive solar flare knocks out power everywhere. What would we do first, next, etc. etc. I guess power could be off for months, we would not know without a radio. Assume I only have typical supplies in my house to get by for a week or two without going to the grocery store. I do have flashlights and somewhere I have a radio but I would need to search for it. I can imagine with no power grocery stores, gas stations, ATM's etc. are not operating but would they be on a temporary basis after a day or two? I don't know. What would we do?

Oh, I would be aware I need to eat what's in my refrigerator/freezer before it goes bad but I may not have thought of a way to prolong the food or thought about what order to eat things. A lot of neighbors have barbeque grills so assume we can use them at least for a while.
edit on 25/6/11 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks for your reply. Great answer and one I didn't think of. I remember my grandfather and aunts all together dousing for water back in the 50's searching for a place to drill an artisan well. I have one more question if you don't mind; I was wondering if there are poisonous plants that are common and might be mistaken for edibles and how do you tell a poison mushroom? Do you have to know all the mushrooms?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

One of the most difficult survival situations is a cold
weather scenario. Remember, cold weather is an adversary
that can be as dangerous as an enemy soldier. Every time
you venture into the cold, you are pitting yourself against
the elements. With a little knowledge of the environment,
proper plans, and appropriate equipment, you can overcome
the elements. As you remove one or more of these
factors, survival becomes increasingly difficult. Remember,
winter weather is highly variable. Prepare yourself to adapt
to blizzard conditions even during sunny and clear weather.

Here's a great little Ebook you can use as a study guide

as for food storage, drying lasts the longest but you dont need one of those fancy machines... you can make a sun drying rack out of scrap wood and a piece of screen... that's how we do it back home

edit to add bad air... is tough... I have worked in poison gas envrioments where one breath will kill ya... apart from buying some pretty expencave equipment I'm gonna say... not much you can do... without Fulll SCBA gear

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

dont mess with mushrooms...
even the best experts get mixed up about wild ones and sure enough every year we hear about a poisoning...
there are several good field guides on edible plants... this time I'm not gonna provide a link as what you want is one local to where you live.. one tip I do not recommended is chewing whatever then holding it to the inside of your cheek... if it burns or tastes foul spit it out and try something else... Me if I dont know for sure what it is I leave it alone

PS I'm gonna sign out and go play with my grand daughter but keep going... when I get back maybe I can answer a few more?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The one thing I have been thinking a lot about is what I could/would do if I had to leave my home. I look at all the people being evacuated, or suddenly with out a home from the floods, wild fires, tornadoes. If I have all my stored supplies in my home and lose it or have to move to another location quickly, I would be screwed.

I am prepared to be able to live off the grid for a bit. I have food, water, a way to cook, etc. However, my ability to survive is set up only in the event I am able to remain in my home.

Like most american's today, I live month to month. I don't have any family close by. I could not afford to rent shelter for a family of my size. If I had to leave, I would not be able to fit much into my car along with my kids. So what does one do? When funds are limited, you have stored items at your home, yet you have to leave--what would/do you do?

Edit: To fix formatting
edit on 25-6-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

About guns, my advice on this is to find a shooting range in your area and see if they offer instruction prior to making a selection. If not find a KNOWLEDGEABLE friend to help you. This way you can, get basic safety instruction, basic shooting instruction, and try different types of guns, before making a choice. And continue to practice! Getting a weapon and putting in the closet will do you no good if you can't use it properly.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I would like posts on groups forming up in our various areas. Perhaps ATS could set up such an area where we could talk about it?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
DaddyBare I have always found the military manuals to be some of the best basic references for information, survival is at the top of the list. Some of the manuals I have, and most are on the web for free download.

US Army
FM 3-05.70 Survival
FM 21-76 Survival
TC 21-3 Cold Weather
TC 21-21 Water Survival

US Army Correspondence Courses
AV0661, AV0662, AV0663, AV0664 Survival Courses

Department of the Army
How to Find Your Way

Marine Corp.
MCRP 3-02C Water Survival
MRCP 3-02F Survival
MWTC SUMMER Summer Survival
MWTC WINTER Winter Survival

Joint Service Manuals
AFTTP(I) 3-2.26
FM 21-76-1
MCRP 3-02H
NWP 3-50.3

FM 21-10; MCRP 4-11.1D Field Hygiene and Sanitation

Canadian Manuals
B-GG-302-002FP-001 Basic Cold Weather Training

There are of course many more out there, but these are some good basics.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I have several alternative cooking sources, but am always interested in learning new ones.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
The one thing I have been thinking a lot about is what I could/would do if I had to leave my home. I look at all the people being evacuated, or suddenly with out a home from the floods, wild fires, tornadoes. If I have all my stored supplies in my home and lose it or have to move to another location quickly, I would be screwed.

I am prepared to be able to live off the grid for a bit. I have food, water, a way to cook, etc. However, my ability to survive is set up only in the event I am able to remain in my home.

Like most american's today, I live month to month. I don't have any family close by. I could not afford to rent shelter for a family of my size. If I had to leave, I would not be able to fit much into my car along with my kids. So what does one do? When funds are limited, you have stored items at your home, yet you have to leave--what would/do you do?

I totally understand, summer. I, too, am in the same siuation. Currently, I am caring for my mom at home. She has cancer and, THANK GOD, Hospice comes in several times a week. She is not actively dying, but we know the time is near.....

Anyway, I have not been able to save any money for anything!!! I have a few things around the house that will be useful. But, for the most part, I want to sell EVERYTHING - I have a couple of pretty nice flatscreen TVs, my computer, the whole house of used furniture, washer/dryer, etc. I will be taking a few items - hope to buy a decent tent and some other camping devices, lanterns, radio - and will pack into my car for a trip to the NM mountains. Just me and my dog!!

When I get to where I am going, I want to sell the car and try to find an inexpensive scooter - something that does not need much gas, to get me into , hopefully, a very small town close by. At least, until I find a group of people willing to accept me into their group so I can learn alot about living off the grid and help the group thrive off the grid.

So....when all this happens, all I will have is any $$ left from our last checks and my final check 2 weeks later. That gives me 2 weeks to sell everything and put my plan into action. I will be receiving mom's $1500 Life Insurance check, but I do not know how long that will take - hopefully, within those 2 weeks. So, I will have, maybe, $1300+ what I sell and my last check. I figure it will only be a feww thousand.

But, that what my plans are! Hell, I have made major moves on alot less.....but I was much younger. I do believe I can still do it, if I make it my priority.

So, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from......

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
With all the people heading out into the wilderness with their survival stuff when the big emergency comes what is your honest opinion on the survival rate of these folks. Reading books and frequenting survival forums is good but would you be willing to tell us how many of these people actually have a chance on making it.

Suppose the "event" happened 2 hours from now. What are the odds of survival even for those who think they are prepared? You may have the standard reply that "if they've studied and learned they should do well" but i'm looking for more specifics so people may actually understand from someone like yourself what preperation actually means.

I plan to get away on a sailboat so I don't fit into the survival type but i'd imagine that living in the wilderness would require a great more expertise. Expertise gained only by having actually done it. I doubt that many people who think they are prepared would know how to do a simple tooth extraction on themselves and would have to seek out the help of others costing them the protection of solitude.

Honestly I would guess that the survival rate would be less than 5% of all those who head out. Most would tire and fall in with others or be killed for their supplies. Some would succumb to the elements and others would have fatal accidents. Most though would just give up and seek out other humans.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

Just out of curiosity, why Texas?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I live in Texas now. But plan to head to the New Mexico mountains. Why?? Because I want a higher altitude, for one. So mountains seem natural. NM mountains because, no matter the crisis, they should be safe. Plus, I have been there and it is the type of environment I would be drawn to. Now keep in mind, I plan on finding some others folks wanting to do the same.

I totally understand the difficulty that will be involved. But, I would rather die being somewhat content - instead of being somewhere I hate. I do not want to die in a city or large town. Just be within a scooters' distance from a very small, basic town.

Maybe my chances won't be good. But, in a city, I believe I would be much worse off.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Champagne

I live in Texas now. But plan to head to the New Mexico mountains. Why?? Because I want a higher altitude, for one. So mountains seem natural. NM mountains because, no matter the crisis, they should be safe. Plus, I have been there and it is the type of environment I would be drawn to. Now keep in mind, I plan on finding some others folks wanting to do the same.

I totally understand the difficulty that will be involved. But, I would rather die being somewhat content - instead of being somewhere I hate. I do not want to die in a city or large town. Just be within a scooters' distance from a very small, basic town.

Maybe my chances won't be good. But, in a city, I believe I would be much worse off.

Ok, I get that. That is one of the reasons I am planning to leave Virginia. I will most likely head for Florida though.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5

I totally understand, summer. I, too, am in the same siuation. Currently, I am caring for my mom at home. She has cancer and, THANK GOD, Hospice comes in several times a week. She is not actively dying, but we know the time is near.....

Anyway, I have not been able to save any money for anything!!! I have a few things around the house that will be useful. But, for the most part, I want to sell EVERYTHING - I have a couple of pretty nice flatscreen TVs, my computer, the whole house of used furniture, washer/dryer, etc. I will be taking a few items - hope to buy a decent tent and some other camping devices, lanterns, radio - and will pack into my car for a trip to the NM mountains. Just me and my dog!!

When I get to where I am going, I want to sell the car and try to find an inexpensive scooter - something that does not need much gas, to get me into , hopefully, a very small town close by. At least, until I find a group of people willing to accept me into their group so I can learn alot about living off the grid and help the group thrive off the grid.

So....when all this happens, all I will have is any $$ left from our last checks and my final check 2 weeks later. That gives me 2 weeks to sell everything and put my plan into action. I will be receiving mom's $1500 Life Insurance check, but I do not know how long that will take - hopefully, within those 2 weeks. So, I will have, maybe, $1300+ what I sell and my last check. I figure it will only be a feww thousand.

But, that what my plans are! Hell, I have made major moves on alot less.....but I was much younger. I do believe I can still do it, if I make it my priority.

So, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from......

Thank you for your reply. First, I am sorry about your mother. I know its not easy to care at home for a loved one, thank god for hospice.

Most people will probably think I am nuts, but I am originally from the city, very close to 9/11. After that event, I moved south, bought land, and wanted to be self sufficient. I raised live stock, chickens, meat and dairy goats, angus bulls, and lambs. It was cool the first few years...started growing weary after that. A lot of work, with a large family (kids were young at the time). Eventually my husband and I split up, he went down to FL and I remained with the kids in the country. I had to sell off the live stock, just could not keep up with it all.

I have wanted to move out of here for years. I miss the bigger city life. I miss the job opportunities, not they are abundant in the metro areas , but out here in the country, far and few between. Then I wonder if I should just stay put. I have 10 acres of land. Not that I garden, I do not have a green thumb! I know most people around this area now. Not that I have been "excepted", I am not one of them, I am still the "outsider". I am where most people more than likely want to be. The woods, with acreage, wild life, etc. Yet, I want out! Not sure if that's wise or not.
The only reason I am still here, I don't know how to move with a large family, and little funds to start somewhere else new. How do you move somewhere new with little to no money? I would love to know!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Ok, I get that. That is one of the reasons I am planning to leave Virginia. I will most likely head for Florida though.

Funny enough, I am in VA. In the Blue Ridge Mountains. What area in VA are you? Not exact area, just ball park.
edit on 25-6-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join