It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Woman Sterilized Because State Deems Her "Promiscuous"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This one truly turned my stomach.

NC Woman Sterilized Because State Deems Her "Promiscuous"

The lead paragraph should get your blood boiling:

The day that Elaine Riddick had her first and only child, the state of North Carolina had her sterilized on the orders of a court. Riddick had been raped but the state said she was promiscuous.

Raped? First child? Forced sterilization?

What the hell is going on? Who made this decision on behalf of the citizens of North Carolina? How much power over our lives have we handed over?

North Carolina is the first state to consider a $20,000 payment to victims of sterilizations, but it is doubtful that the Republican-controlled legislature will aside the necessary funds. CBS News noted that more than 60,000 women in 32 states were sterilized to keep down welfare costs.

Stunned, absolutely stunned. I really don't care about people's attitudes towards welfare or what not. From a humanistic point of view this is something way wrong.

I'd write more, but I'm flat-out speechless.

Your thoughts?
edit on 23-6-2011 by Hessling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Read the whole story, leading back to the cbs article.
She's 57, it happened when she was 14 - over 43 years ago.
Horrible that it happened, shouldn't have ever happened - but now NC is going back and trying to compensated for these horrible mistakes in it's history. Don't know if $20K is enough though?

Now I wonder how many people would willingly be sterilized for $20K now?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
That's pretty weird lol

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

CBS News noted that more than 60,000 women in 32 states were sterilized to keep down welfare costs.

I think the judge was clearly racially profiling her. Makes sense especially considering the era and the state. I'm willing to bet a majority of the 32 states were towards the south, and all if not most of the women were African American.
edit on 23-6-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous!
A women is raped, so she is sterilized.

I do believe there are SOME cases were the court should intervene, such as the women here in my state, whom now has had 13 children taken away by the state for abuse and neglect, although she has NOT be sterilized yet, but this is just insane.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sheeplemama_awakening

You're right. The abbreviated version didn't mention the time span.

All the same, it's terribly messed up. Makes me wonder how "promiscuous" the judge who made the decision might have been.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
People say eugenics was something in the past or doesnt happen anymore. Theyre dead wrong.

My grandmother was adopted by a woman who was sterilized. My grandmother was born on rez and her parents were killed in an accident. The woman who adopted her was their very good friend and neighbor... sterilized when she was just a teen because she was diagnosed with encephalitis. Its a swelling of the brain and etc from a mosquito bite. SHe was mentally perfect, but her speech was effected as well as her coordination. She was a very pretty woman and the white Drs sterilized her because she was "feebleminded" and could be tempted to sleep with men. They told her parents it was for her own protection. I can tell you this.. even in her 90's the woman wasnt anywhere near feebleminded. The Drs took not only her way to procreate away, but suggested she be kept out of school.. so she never received an education.

Is this only a reservation thing against NDNs? Nope.. sure isnt. Read up on it.. eugenics being practiced under the guise of protecting the victim is practiced TODAY in 2011.. and the actual explanations to the family havent changed all that much. Dont be fooled.

top topics

join