It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is wrong with San Francisco? Nanny state gone wild!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
San Francisco ... the 'Nanny State' gone wild.

Banning goldfish.
Banning happy meals.
Banning yellow pages
Banning circumcisions.
Banning toy giveaways in kid meals.
Banning sale of all soft drinks on city property.
Banning all pet sales. (no more kittens or puppies ...)

These bans may or may not go into effect. They may or may not be over turned. But just the fact that the San Francisco 'city fathers' want this kind of control .. that's troubling. What's next on their 'banned' list? Be afraid!

CBS News - Goldfish sales may be banned in San Francisco

CBS/What's Trending) - A new proposal may ban the sale of goldfish within San Francisco's borders, flushing away the dreams of many children who have begged to get a pet. If passed, parents will lose the powerful "if you can keep this goldfish alive for six months, then we'll think about getting you a dog" bargaining chip.

As a gold fish owner, I'm glad we don't live there. I'd be having to drive (use gas and pollute the environment!) to neighboring cities to get my gold fish pellets. BTW .. our two goldfish are 4 years old and HUGE .. now up to 5 or 6 inches ... and the tank is 50 gallons.

ABC News - Circumcision Ban to Appear on Ballot

A proposal to ban the circumcision of male children in San Francisco has been cleared to appear on the November ballot, setting the stage for the nation's first public vote on what has long been considered a private family matter.... (snip) .... If the measure passes, circumcision would be prohibited among males under the age of 18. The practice would become a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to one year in jail. There would be no religious exemptions.

NO RELIGIOUS EXEMPTIONS. Not to mention there will be a bunch more infection problems because circumcision is a much healthier way to live. (especially with the elderly gentlemen ... and those with dementia ... )

Well ... I suppose the whackyness has done one good thing -
Muslims and Jews Unite - File Lawsuit Against San Francisco Circumcision Ban
These days everyone gets snipped, not just Jews and Muslims. It's healthier.

LA Times - San Francisco Bans Happy Meals

The city's board of supervisors votes to forbid restaurants from giving away toys with meals that have high levels of calories, sugar and fat.

USA Today - San Francisco Bans Yellow Pages
Look guys .. they get recycled. It's no big deal.
SF Gate - San Francisco bans plastic bags
Look guys ... they get recycled. The canvas reusable ones are better, but it's no big deal.
(and at our house, they get recycled AND used at home)

Christian Science Monitor - Happy Meal Toys Banned in San Francisco

Miami Herald - Taking the nanny-state mentality to new heights

The week got started with the ban on all sweetened sodas, juices and even flavored waters from vending machines on city property. Mayor Newsom also ordered that the vending machines must contain ``ample choices'' of ``soy milk, rice milk and other similar dairy or nondairy milk.''

SF Gate - San Francisco wants to ban all pet sales

Sell a guinea pig, go to jail.

That's the law under consideration by San Francisco's Commission of Animal Control and Welfare. If the commission approves the ordinance at its meeting tonight, San Francisco could soon have what is believed to be the country's first ban on the sale of all pets except fish.

That includes dogs, cats, hamsters, mice, rats, chinchillas, guinea pigs, birds, snakes, lizards and nearly every other critter, or, as the commission calls them, companion animals.

Fox News - San Francisco wants to ban goldfish to prevent their inhumane suffering

The San Francisco Animal Control and Welfare Commission wants to take away your goldfish, proposing a bill that would also include a renewed ban on pets like puppies, kittens and hamsters.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
What people would prefer you not to do, liberals make laws forcing you not to do them.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Welcome to the future. More control is what 'they' want, soon you will have to say 'Mommy, may I ' before you sneeze.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I am convinced that San Francisco is the nerve center of Bizarro World. Its sole purpose is to push the extremes that you described in the OP just to see how far they can go without much/if any resistance from the majority of lemmings who live there. I don't think these people even care or are even aware of what's going on.

I have never seen such a twisted set of priorities in my life. Then again, the niner city is Nancy Pelosi's stalking ground as well. So, that may explain some of this strangeness.

If things really start to go bad in this country from a civil unrest perspective, we will see the disruption in San Fran and LA first. I say let them fall and let them be the guinea pigs for martial law.

On a side note, I constantly shake my head as I watch the constant assault on Ronald McDonald, Tony the Tiger, The Lucky Charms Leprechaun etc... These poor icons of the marketing and branding realm are being used as scapegoats to shift the blame off of POOR PARENTING or off of the fact that many parents are overworked, underpaid and working multiple jobs and simply don't have the time in the day to grocery shop, and prepare meals so they run off McDonald's on the way home after picking up the kids from daycare at 7pm.

How would Grimmace or the Hamburglar react to such an assault? Anyone remember those guys? or the "keep your eyes on your fries" ad campaign. My generation remembers it and we turned out just fine and so will my kids because I still take them to McDonalds every now again.
edit on 23-6-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I don't understand their ban on circumcisions. Some folks do it for religious reasons. MANY people do it for health reasons. And it's very helpful for caretakers of older men when the men have had one done. At the risk of being very indelicate ... older men and those with dementia don't clean themselves up as well as they should and they get infections. It can be a problem for both the man AND the caretakers. Seriously .. it's a health issue. What is their hangup with circumcisions? It's STRANGE!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Seriously .. it's a health issue. What is their hangup with circumcisions? It's STRANGE!

Supporters of the ban say male circumcision is a form of genital mutilation that is unnecessary, extremely painful and even dangerous. They say parents should not be able to force the decision on their young child.

"Parents are really guardians, and guardians have to do what's in the best interest of the child. It's his body. It's his choice," said Lloyd Schofield, the measure's lead proponent and a longtime San Francisco resident. He added the cutting away of the foreskin from the penis is a more invasive medical procedure than many new parents or childless individuals realize.

Ban

It's a matter of "infant's rights", FF.
Or maybe it's somehow related to the gay agenda?

Weirdo City, I'm tellin' ya.:shk:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Very odd! I'm snipped and proud of it. When I started to read about this issue a while back I stumbled on a group who advocates for foreskin restoration via surgical procedure. Wow! I was a baby and have no memory of my circumcision while still in the hospital after delivery. I can't imagine willingly going under the knife to put it back.

Perhaps all these men really need is a good psychiatrist and a better level of self esteem.

They even have a social networking site with an interesting logo and a genital integrity ribbon campaign. Wow!!
www.restoringforeskin.org...

You want to get into the extreme mindset of these folks poke around that site and beware of graphic content!!! in the technique section.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Do you live there? I mean is that why all the fuss. Apparently this is what the people there want to do and you want to prevent them from doing it? How is this any different than any other socially dictated agenda except at the end of it they have a nice area without having to euthanize a whole lot of unwanted pets for one. I know I hate driving by the pet stores and puppy mills while at the same time animal control cannot keep up with the lost and abandoned animals roaming the streets.

We need a nanny here in South Florida. If this is what it takes to stop cruelty and put brakes on stupidity I say hey go for it. Lucky we can pick and choose where we live and right now San Fran is looking mighty attractive but then I love animals and humans and so I might fit in.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

"Nanny City" is correct.

If you look at the what you call outlaws circumcisions law is for genital mutilation, the first thing it states is the EXCEPT for circumcision. Please read whole bill or just first sentence before anymore of this stuff............

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
After living in the bay area for a few years, I am confounded by their lack of interest in what happens to the huge amount of homeless people there, but let's save the goldfish!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Very odd! I'm snipped and proud of it. When I started to read about this issue a while back I stumbled on a group who advocates for foreskin restoration via surgical procedure. Wow! I was a baby and have no memory of my circumcision while still in the hospital after delivery. I can't imagine willingly going under the knife to put it back.

Perhaps all these men really need is a good psychiatrist and a better level of self esteem.

They even have a social networking site with an interesting logo and a genital integrity ribbon campaign. Wow!!
www.restoringforeskin.org...

You want to get into the extreme mindset of these folks poke around that site and beware of graphic content!!! in the technique section.

Why don't they stop ear piercing too? I mean what is the big deal?
I see teenagers getting their ears pierced and my niece says she wishes her mother had done it to her earlier rather than having to wait until she is a teen when it is so much more traumatic.

I wish this group would rally and take up the cause of spanking because if removing foreskin traumatizes an infant imagine what deliberately and intentionally smacking a kid in public does?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Sounds like North Korea.

They must be really proud.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
After living in the bay area for a few years, I am confounded by their lack of interest in what happens to the huge amount of homeless people there, but let's save the goldfish!

The reason they have such a large amount of homeless in San Fransisco is because number one it is a mecca for alternative culture groups and drop outs and it is a good place to be if you are homeless. The homeless are tolerated,educated and cared for, medicated and fed.

Other places they are rolled onto a bus while they are still sleeping and shipped to another town.
When you see a lot of homeless people that means they are getting help there otherwise they will scatter to where ever they can best survive.
edit on 23-6-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think the thread title should be "whats right with San Francisco?"
What other great ideas do they have we can share?

I am convinced that San Francisco is the nerve center of Bizarro World. Its sole purpose is to push the extremes that you described in the OP just to see how far they can go without much/if any resistance from the majority of lemmings who live there. I don't think these people even care or are even aware of what's going on.

You think they cannot and DID NOT decide for themselves because yours is the only right way.

Let's not permit areas to self govern and decide how they want to live.

Is this what you are shooting for? What about the people who agree with those choices?

You are disregarding a population that decided where it wanted to live and what lifestyle it wanted.

Lets make decisions for them because they are different.

Let's tell them how to live because our way is so much better.

Let's show those San Franciscans the light.

Let's just let them be.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
San Francisco ... the 'Nanny State' gone wild.

Banning goldfish.
Banning happy meals.
Banning yellow pages
Banning circumcisions.

Most of them are pretty stupid, but I only have a potential problem with the last one as an infringement on religious freedom. However, I am appalled that in this day and age, circumcision is still practiced. It is a wanton mutilation of the male genitals, it severely stunts the pleasure the male can receive from sex and all without consent. Since society is too stupid to stop the practice on their own, I'd support the government passing a law in this limited instance.

I'm circumcised and I can't ever really undo that. I had no choice in the matter. I'll never know what I'm missing. That's worse. I've read stories of men who had it done later in life, and later literally wept at the lost sensation. Look at the difference in pleasure men and women get from sex and there is no comparison. The government stepping in and saying "let people make their own choice" is actually good in this case.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
Do you live there? I mean is that why all the fuss.

Last I saw, we are allowed to discuss the sucess and failures of different types of government intrusion into the lives of United States citizens. We are allowed to discuss how people are handing their freedoms over. We are allowed to discuss if it works or fails. We are allowed to discuss the pros and the cons. We don't live in a bubble and are allowed to discuss what is happening in differnet parts of the country and the world.

We need a nanny here in South Florida.

Move to San Francisco. It's all set up for you.
Soon - you won't even have to think for yourself anymore.
A whole lotta' sheeple depending on the gov't for everything.
Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
San fran is a nasty place. Lived there for 6 months and moved out as soon as I could. The homeless were out of control, the leadership was backasswards...and the odd thing....I found that the average person I talked to knew it. They openly acknowledged the absurdity of their community....but didn't give a crap. Well....I got sick of smelling bum piss in my flower bed and having my car broken into so I voted with my feet. If more would do the same the place would get the message.

Let's see those morons collect taxes to run the city from the homeless and low income residents.....in short time they would go broke and wonder eat went wrong.

If you live there.....I have to ask why? The mere act of living in such an ignorant city is basically giving the morons who ru it your seal of approval. I moved my business to another state....who gave me a tax break allowing me to hire another 19 workers. I asked sanfran to counter offer and they responded .... And I kid you not....the I was lucky to be paying what I was and that is things go their way my taxes would go up....

What a joke of a city. The new place I am at is happy with us, the 19 families earning a living are happy and I have no regrets. We did the math...the amount of money going to the government is higher with my 19 employees than if they raised or held current the taxes, permits and misc that samfran had......go figure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
However, I am appalled that in this day and age, circumcision is still practiced.

I'm surprised that people in this day and age don't do it more. It's an issue of health .. keeping clean. At the risk of being indelicate ... infections happen much more easily when uncircumcised. Especially with older men who don't take as good care of themselves as they should. And those with dementia issues. They 'forget' to clean up. It's MUCH easier on them and on their care givers to have someone who is circumcised.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by MainLineThis

Wow...read my post....need to stop posting from a damn cell phone..lol. But I wanted to clarify, our 19 employees were new hires in addition to our existing 35 employees. We had states begging for us to move there....but cali...no can do. They acted like we were lucky to be in their state...and like I said they openly stated that they thought we didn't pay enough taxes (I have it in a letter) and should we choose to stay they would admire our "patriotism by willing paying our fair share, recognizing it as our civic duty to the existing community"

I crap you not.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by newcovenant
Do you live there? I mean is that why all the fuss.

Last I saw, we are allowed to discuss the sucess and failures of different types of government intrusion into the lives of United States citizens. We are allowed to discuss how people are handing their freedoms over. We are allowed to discuss if it works or fails. We are allowed to discuss the pros and the cons. We don't live in a bubble and are allowed to discuss what is happening in differnet parts of the country and the world.

We need a nanny here in South Florida.

Move to San Francisco. It's all set up for you.
Soon - you won't even have to think for yourself anymore.
A whole lotta' sheeple depending on the gov't for everything.
Enjoy.

Patriot Act?

TSA Patdown?

So you are all fired up now about circumcision and goldfish?
Did you just wake up?

We are allowed to discuss

So bully for you!
Now why not make sure everyone thinks the exact same way?
Yeah...that would be good.

You can move to some country where people don't have the freedom to decide for themselves how and what type of city they would like to live. This is my country and I am staying.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join