It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ciarette-Pack Psyop?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CobraCommander

Lol Cigarette Pack Psy-OP LOL?

They've had these labels on the Canadian smokes for over 10-20 years now i think

I guess the U.S is following Suit
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImNoAngel
This is my first post. All hail "ImNoAngel" LOL!

Being a smoker, I can only say that maybe these images will help me break the addiction. I have tried patches and "free will" and neither have stopped me. Smoking is a very strong addiction and I'm actually for this attempt to get younger folks to realize how addicting and dangerous smoking really is.

Welcome aboard. You are an idiot.
Star for your post anyway. Always good to hear opposing viewpoints.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
They dont really impact anything at all. "Oh look, a gross picture" and on you go. continueing to smoke. to be honest, i dont even see them anymore. I look at the name "yep, these are mine". And i guess it depends where you live, i have a friend down in utah that pays 3.50. Seems fairly unfair, i pay 10 for a 20 pack. 12 for 25 pack. And those are the cheapest im willing to go.

Desentizing you to images of horror along the way and inflaming animosity among citizens.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander

They dont really impact anything at all. "Oh look, a gross picture" and on you go. continueing to smoke. to be honest, i dont even see them anymore. I look at the name "yep, these are mine". And i guess it depends where you live, i have a friend down in utah that pays 3.50. Seems fairly unfair, i pay 10 for a 20 pack. 12 for 25 pack. And those are the cheapest im willing to go.

Desentizing you to images of horror along the way and inflaming animosity among citizens.

Welcome to the world we live in. Video games are no better. TV is no better. Violence, gore, is all mainstream. Everyone is desensitized to it by now.

link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse

Lol Cigarette Pack Psy-OP LOL?

They've had these labels on the Canadian smokes for over 10-20 years now i think

I guess the U.S is following Suit

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." ~Thomas Paine

link   
I don't buy any of their anti smoking bs, since when has the government made decisions for the benefit of the people? There is a sinister motive behind this, I just haven't figured it out yet. Perhaps the native americans have become so wealthy from untaxed tobacco sales that they now have serious political clout and lobbying power. By killing their revenue stream they can kick them right back into the stone age. Or perhaps the government wants a controlling interest in this product so they kill it with regulation taking demand close to zero. Once production stops and all that's left is nostalgia the government releases new data indicating tobacco might actually be GOOD for you in moderation. The business is reborn under new ownership and the revenue stream flows directly into the "right" people's pockets.
I think we saw this during prohibition when the Kennedy family became very wealthy and powerful.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander

Welcome to the world we live in. Video games are no better. TV is no better. Violence, gore, is all mainstream. Everyone is desensitized to it by now.

So by your logic, at the very best, this entire campaign on the taxpayer dime is moot.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
I don't buy any of their anti smoking bs, since when has the government made decisions for the benefit of the people? There is a sinister motive behind this, I just haven't figured it out yet. Perhaps the native americans have become so wealthy from untaxed tobacco sales that they now have serious political clout and lobbying power. By killing their revenue stream they can kick them right back into the stone age. Or perhaps the government wants a controlling interest in this product so they kill it with regulation taking demand close to zero. Once production stops and all that's left is nostalgia the government releases new data indicating tobacco might actually be GOOD for you in moderation. The business is reborn under new ownership and the revenue stream flows directly into the "right" people's pockets.
I think we saw this during prohibition when the Kennedy family became very wealthy and powerful.

The person who wrote the linked article figured it out.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

So you're advocating smoking? Why its known to cause various cancers and is related to millions of Deaths in the U.S

I think it will be good to put those labels on the smokes; maybe the Kids will smarten up and stay away from Ciggs.

(Those Labels are pretty gruesome and nasty)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ImNoAngel

I can tell you from experience that you will never quit until you yourself want to completely. I smoked for aroung 27 years and quit 11 years ago. It was the hardest thing I ever did but the only reason I was successful was that I finally and ultimately wanted to do it. It helped that I had a girlfriend who didn't smoke. I had tried to quit smoking before that countless times, only to start up again. Sometimes up to 8 months or a year without it, but always went back. You have to really want to do it. And don't tell yourself "I can never smoke again" but instead "I just don't want to smoke right now". Trust me, if you do it for the long run you'll never miss it, I don't. Also, get some help from patches or gum. Those things help.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
OK Guys. I think I have this one figured out.

I'm a smoker. Unfortunately. (I roll my own)

#1)As a smoker I can tell you for sure that any type of anxiety will cause you to smoke more.

#2) Just 3 days ago I was reading some of those quit smoking websites, with the idea that I might quit. I came across an interesting tid-bit, which after reading, made alot of sense....
People that try to quit smoking and fail will increase their cigarette intake upon resuming smoking I think this could very well be true. When I smoked packaged cigarettes, if I tried to quit, I smoked more.

Putting this together in my tinfoil covered head...a combination of anxiety (the creepy TV comercials just weren't enough) from horrific imagery (imagine how this makes the children feel. Anxious?) and subsequent attempts to quit smoking MAY cause a smoker to smoke and buy more cigarettes. Profits for the tobbacco industry. Lots of sick smokers? Profits for BigPharma.

Lastly. Any kids on this forum. Do not ever put a cigarette to your lips. It stinks. It's expensive. It's worse than crack, as in; very hard to quit once you start. Save yourselves the trouble.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
And don't forget who is paying for al lthe stop smoking commercials...

your "friendly" pharma companies, like GSK, the makers of "nicabate"....the nicotine chewing gum

"dont get your nictoine from cigs, get it from my chewy"!!!

I pay $17 for a pack of cigs at the supermarket, where they sell Nicabate and similar products for more than double that price - hmmmm, something wrong with this picture?

the human body actually uses/makes nicotine

as with all these things, ask "Qui Bono?" - follow the $$$$$

by the way, one of my employees died at age 30 in 2001 from a heart attack, cause of death was 'nicotine patches' - if he didnt try and stop smoking cigs, he would still be alive today

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

LOL....thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I can clearly see, you too, are an IDIOT!!!
Looking forward to meeting you on other threads!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

My husband smokes like a chimney and I use that as an excuse. I am looking forward to his demise and my future!

Just kidding (kinda)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If there's any hidden agenda it's to desensitze kids and adults from grotesque images since that's all it did for the other countries that have had these images on packs for years now. Can't believe some people think these pics will help. Raise the taxes again, that helped Canada's smoking rate go down. I remember living in Toronto when cost of smokes kept going up. It got many smokers attention and so many quit just because it became too expensive.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
and to be truly objective, lets look at the USA

not sure of all the statistics since I am an Aussie...

lets see, over 1 million souls perish each year through abortion
....multitudes perish from crack, coc aine, drive by shootings
....prescription drug abuse
...thousands from alcohol
....same with car crashes, run over crossing roads
.....wars the people dont want to participate in
.....radiation
.....asthma
....fat related heart disease
....chemicals in the water from fracking shale oil gas
....violence
....suicide
....and hundreds of other ways to die

but whatever you do, DONT SMOKE!!!! (you could get sick and die!)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Highlander64 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

I hear ya! Also cell phones should be high on the list. Everytime you make a call a pic of a brain tumor should pop up...better yet animate it and add sound effects.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
A gross picture will not stop someone from smoking. You could probably throw some lungs that were taken out of a recently deceased smoker on a table and force another smoker to look at it and they still won't quit.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse

So you're advocating smoking? Why its known to cause various cancers and is related to millions of Deaths in the U.S

I think it will be good to put those labels on the smokes; maybe the Kids will smarten up and stay away from Ciggs.

(Those Labels are pretty gruesome and nasty)

Obviously, you did NOT read the article. Go read, deny ignorance, learn a thing or two, the come talk to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer
And don't tell yourself "I can never smoke again" but instead "I just don't want to smoke right now".

It's how I quit weed. And no matter what they say, weed IS addictive. Lifestyle, psycho-dependency.

I finally realized I had quit more than a year later and I found my emergency dime bag in a sock drawer when I was moving.

Today, I do the same with cigarettes. Only smoke when I REALLY want one. And usually, that is when I am indulging in my other addiction, alcohol. Still have yet to find the solution for that one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join