It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ciarette-Pack Psyop?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

When I have a full pack of smokes, I hardly smoke at all. When I get down to 2 or 3, I chain them out and get another pack. Actually makes me nauseous too.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImNoAngel
reply to post by CobraCommander

LOL....thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I can clearly see, you too, are an IDIOT!!!
Looking forward to meeting you on other threads!

All's fair in love in war. No star for you! Lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

reply to post by wtbengineer

My husband smokes like a chimney and I use that as an excuse. I am looking forward to his demise and my future!

Just kidding (kinda)

At my peak, I smoked two packs a day, but only for a few years. No need to be a chimney,

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Yeah, I saw this. The pics are horrific and it's like my hubby says, start putting graphic warning bumper stickers on cars too saying "Cars kill people." Common sense left, anyone? Or is the government thinking we aren't smarter than fifth graders?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourpoint
If there's any hidden agenda it's to desensitze kids and adults from grotesque images since that's all it did for the other countries that have had these images on packs for years now. Can't believe some people think these pics will help. ...

The premise of the OP.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I think most of his points are valid but there are certainly easier ways to expose people to graphic images. This is a targeted campaign against a single product, just have to follow the money trail.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
then tehres my 2 grandparents who died of lung cancer - not from smoking, it was asbestos....

and the oldie but a goodie - the guy on the cheech and chong record "up in smoke"
"I used to smoke 2 packs a day, but since one of my lungs was removed, I cut my habit in half"

I also read somewhere that they reckon smokers are immune to mind control technology - cant resist adding the conspiracy element

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Well, at least its only images they're putting on it. Instead of jacking the price. What does a US citizen pay for a package of smokes on average. 3 - 5 dollars? i pay 12.

If you buy them on an indian reservation they are less than two dollars per pack. Also they are full sized smokes (I lived in Toronto when I started smoking, Dumauriers I believe they were called) not the cigarette butt sized ones.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

My husband smokes like a chimney and I use that as an excuse. I am looking forward to his demise and my future!

Just kidding (kinda)

Your future is now filled with second hand bad Karma.
He might become like Obi Wan Kinobi (sic) and actually be MORE annoying after he dies.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highlander64
then tehres my 2 grandparents who died of lung cancer - not from smoking, it was asbestos....

and the oldie but a goodie - the guy on the cheech and chong record "up in smoke"
"I used to smoke 2 packs a day, but since one of my lungs was removed, I cut my habit in half"

I also read somewhere that they reckon smokers are immune to mind control technology - cant resist adding the conspiracy element

I think there is probably a personality trait most smokers share, most seniors who smoke are a lot cooler than the ones who don't.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Australia has had prominent graphic images as warnings since 2006. Warnings must cover 30 per cent of the front and 90 per cent of the back of the box.

They dipict horrifying images but have had NO impact on people giving up smoking.

EG:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon102
Truth be told I don't really see anything wrong with this. If its only on the cigarette pack, then the smoker will be the only one to see it. Unless of course that same person goes around showing the image on the pack to everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

Yeah, your right. Just another gory graphic image to desensitize us. Will make no differerence in the end.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
We have it here in the Uk. Yeah its disgusting but I turn it over if I don't wanna look. You know yourself if your getting to a stage where your lungs are black or your teeth are falling out because you have eyes and this thing called common sense. If common sense can't make people smoke responsably and moderatly I doubt the pictures will do much diff. They have no affect on mr , maybe once or twice I have thought about it but as I say I don't puff 80 a day.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
In Australia they already have those pictures on the front and back of cigarette packs. They´re also going to introduce plain packaging that shows no logos or colours. The brand name will just be printed in a small type. I know smoking is terrible for health, etc etc, but people will always smoke because it is so delicious. But a lot of people only really smoke when they´re drinking so this doesn´t work or make sense. If I want to quit smoking I will but so far I just don´t want to, even though here it´s like $16 a pack (or more). Governments waste so much money on this, everyone already knows it is bad for one´s health. A little while ago they raised the prices of pre-mixed drinks in an effort to stop teenagers from drinking, even though I believe most teenagers just drink hard liquor or cheap wine.

I also hear that the Australian government is having plans to put health warnings on beer. They ruin all our fun, not so much a police state here but more like a nanny state!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander
So by your logic, at the very best, this entire campaign on the taxpayer dime is moot.

It is.

And the next bright idea will be to remove ANY imagery on packets at all.

It failed here, but they're not allowed to have the smokes on display.

It's just shifting sand from one pile to another for some government official to keep being paid... nothing more. Appear to be doing something, when you do nothing at all.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander

Just kidding (kinda)

At my peak, I smoked two packs a day, but only for a few years. No need to be a chimney,

I cannot fathom this.

I know it's common, but it's just... How the hell?

If I'm drinking I like a smoke... I occasionally smoke watching a movie or something, and I can make 1 packet last over a week. 25 smokes.

I absolutely cannot fathom 50 or more a day... you must sound like a broken radiator when breathing?! Yikes.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
When these new packages come out, I intend to set my pack of cigarettes in plain sight in public places, such as restaurants, so that the images on the pack disturb the other customers. Once the non-smokers start to complain about the graphic images, then this anti-cigarette crusade by the government might be curtailed.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ImNoAngel

Haha, that's funny. I used to feel that way about my ex-wife, but she's still kicking. At least not with me... So, are you saying you smoke, but just not as much as your husband?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

simple and to the point,we have had this for years ,10 plus,in the uk.didnt have a huge effect on me,if i could not run 2 miles i would stop smoking.not cause of a jpeg on my cigs.reminds me of bill hicks,"give me a carton of low birth weight"(if you dont know that quote....get educated)
need to go now have just dropped ash on my keyboard...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Sure there was a similar thread on this?

It's nothing new, we have had images like that on the back of cig packets in the UK for quite a while now.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join