It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Life May be on Brink of 'Phase of Extinction'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Marine Life May be on Brink of 'Phase of Extinction'

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com

A panel convened at Oxford University has issued a strong statement about the condition of the world’s oceans now and for the foreseeable future. As phrased on the home page of StateOfTheOcean.org, their judgment is that “the world’s ocean is at high risk of entering a phase of extinction of marine species unprecedented in human history.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.stateoftheocean.org
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
the group listed 6 leading causes for this prediction

1 climate change/global warming leading to the destruction of coral reefs and habitat

2 Over fishing depleting our own food supply

3 bottom trawling, changing the water quality

4 Extraction they mean off shore drilling

5 Pollution namely sewage which has been linked to the oceans dead zones

6 then finally Alien species introduction.... Introduction of non-native species screwing up the ecosystem

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You have to wonder where the millions of gallons of extremely radioactive water dumped into the Pacific from the Fukushima nuclear disaster fits into all of this.

Hey, maybe we'll get some healthy mutations from this?

edit on 22-6-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
i didnt realise that.... extinction = manmade pollutants!! lol..i think its a phase of something...

when i think about the fukushima (and others) radioactive effects on the local sea....that area of the earth, all the way till the west coast of america is full of key marine life that in essence are needed for the natural "cycles" of the earth...here i would like to mention whales... certain key breeds of whales could be wiped out...
California gray whales were removed from the Endangered Species List in 1993...i rekon you can add them back on ...grey whales and blue whales...yes some are found in the antartic...but they migrate...following prey, to breeding grounds etc....the water they now use is radioactive...

ok im fraffing on...but i just thought of that when reading ur post

peace
edit on 22-6-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I don't know about glow in the dark fish but this sounds pretty serious...
if you follow the BBC link to there story... down at the bottom of the page they have a quote from one of those super smart scientists

Carbon dioxide levels are now so high, it says, that ways of pulling the gas out of the atmosphere need to be researched urgently - but not using techniques, such as iron fertilisation, that lead to more CO2 entering the oceans.

"We have to bring down CO2 emissions to zero within about 20 years," Professor Hoegh-Guldberg told BBC News.

"If we don't do that, we're going to see steady acidification of the seas, heat events that are wiping out things like kelp forests and coral reefs, and we'll see a very different ocean."

He must know what he's talking about because he's presenting his study to the UN this week

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

1 climate change/global warming leading to the destruction of coral reefs and habitat

6 then finally Alien species introduction.... Introduction of non-native species screwing up the ecosystem

what about about these dudes...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cdf1e03fa529.jpeg[/atsimg][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b95ce5d5cd01.jpe g[/atsimg][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/69386c3409c7.jpeg[/atsimg]

haha haarps ground crew...anyone know who they are??...the skull n crossbones makes me paranoid lol

also wouldnt the ice caps melting be caused by the precession tilt of the earth changing ?? makes more sence, rising tempreture could be down to the true equator shifting with the tilt!!??

peace
edit on 22-6-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
sorry i dont trust anything scientists say anymore.

climate change is real global warming and global cooling whichever if they could get their stories straight.

i dont live near the seas but the majority of the worlds population do it will just give rise to "fish farms"

to meet the supply and demand for every adversity there is a solution.

for the human species to survive it will do what it has done for thousands of years ADAPT or perish.
edit on 22-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Of course, now you've thrown CO2 into this, so that means that it is all now political and agenda driven.

Seriously, IF what he says is actually true, it doesn't sound good.

Regardless of the causes, even before Fukushima, one could argue that something is very wrong with the global climate in very recent times.

I've seen enough oddities with my own eyes out here on the road to cause me to really question what is going on. Hell a few days back I had birds flying into my vehicle, and I swear they seemed suicidal, one, then another, then more, and I lost count... Had to stop on the road and clean up guts and feathers, and check for damage.

The sardines in CA. Missing bats, and bees....

The strange bird die offs in the south and elsewhere. Fish die offs etc... Extremely violent weather and flooding...and on and on and on....

While everyone has been playing politics with climate change, and pointing fingers to lay blame on this or that... Man-made.. Natural cycle, its the sun, it's .... It seems to be getting worse.

To say that a reduction in CO2 alone is going to fix these problems seems rather silly, because obviously it is much more complex than just that... There have been times on this planet where it has been said that CO2 was much higher than now.

We haven't been here and keeping records long enough to say that we can understand this, or that we know what can fix it.

All we can do is hang on and enjoy the ride.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Of course, now you've thrown CO2 into this, so that means that it is all now political and agenda driven.

Seriously, IF what he says is actually true, it doesn't sound good.

Regardless of the causes, even before Fukushima, one could argue that something is very wrong with the global climate in very recent times.

I've seen enough oddities with my own eyes out here on the road to cause me to really question what is going on. Hell a few days back I had birds flying into my vehicle, and I swear they seemed suicidal, one, then another, then more, and I lost count... Had to stop on the road and clean up guts and feathers, and check for damage.

The sardines in CA. Missing bats, and bees....

The strange bird die offs in the south and elsewhere. Fish die offs etc... Extremely violent weather and flooding...and on and on and on....

While everyone has been playing politics with climate change, and pointing fingers to lay blame on this or that... Man-made.. Natural cycle, its the sun, it's .... It seems to be getting worse.

To say that a reduction in CO2 alone is going to fix these problems seems rather silly, because obviously it is much more complex than just that... There have been times on this planet where it has been said that CO2 was much higher than now.

We haven't been here and keeping records long enough to say that we can understand this, or that we know what can fix it.

All we can do is hang on and enjoy the ride.

Well actually we don't know the entire history of co2 on earth but we can go pretty far back and it is correct that co2 levels are higher now than ever. It's debatable on what this actually affects if anything but co2 is known to be a strong greenhouse gas.

Good post overall on the oceanic life though. I also know of a group of researchers who are studying the glacial melt that's happening fairly rapidly and the effect of the cold water cooling down the top layer of the oceanic current and whether that will have any effect on marine life or the direction of the current itself.

Some really fascinating stuff going on.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Absolutely, and the BP oil spill I'm sure didn't help neither

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

It seems to me that with a couple of exception we are really talking about industrial activity here. Yet somehow the ultimate thrust of the alarm tells the non-industrial population that 'we have to change."

Industry will not spend the money on an 'externality' like public safety or ecosystem impact; that burden is too high, and they lobby for legislation to ensure they don't bear the load. Meanwhile the corporate media and the oligarch owners continue to project this as a 'people problem' as opposed to a 'industry problem.' That doesn't sit well with me. I know we must act, and I know I can help but in the long run, as long as we let industry run the show, our ability to solve this issue is non-existent.

Just look at BP and TEPCO... two standing examples of how certain industry cartels seem to have their own form of "national' sovereignty. We can't tell them to change their habits or they will punish us with manufactured shortages (ENRON) and higher prices (GAS). Even if they did manage to coerce them into becoming effectively "green" they would still build the cost into their pricing (AUTOS) and make us pay for it anyway. If that doesn't work they will lobby for taxes (Mr. Gore) (a solution the banks are always happy about) and again, we end up paying for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Industry will not spend the money on an 'externality' like public safety or ecosystem impact; that burden is too high, and they lobby for legislation to ensure they don't bear the load

Very well said and true. Basically that one sentence is what it boils down to.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I live in the UK

I see number six had some disparaging remarks about introducing alien species into the ecosystem

So, does this mean i should STOP throwing Red Tail Catfish[native to south america] into my local river when they are too big for my fish tank?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I can agree with this pretty much, industry is a huge problem and the blame is centered on the people. But I ask why is it I or you need to be here using unnecessary energy that we demand as consumers when there are alternative recreation without using it? With the high demands on energy, which keeps the consumer happy, is it any surprise ethics goes out the door when corporations try to find the cheapest, and most likely higher impacting sources? For me no, but I can't be a hypocrite with a TV on and talking to everyone on a forum, lit by my lamp at 4 30 EST. I do wonder, if we all get the gull to go without the added luxuries and the needs go down, if corporations would be able to sustain unneeded sources that just eat into profit for very long. You can lump that under all sorts of industry. We live in excess and we like it unfortunately.

I just wanted to add that I do agree with the point of laying blame solely on one party being frontline and don't appreciate the destructive label that the majority of planet earth shares.
edit on 22-6-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

It's almost a catch-22 isn't it? There are always at least two sides of a story, and on one end you have industry and the economy that drives it. And on the other hand you have the population that willingly allows industry to continue it's practices by patronazing said businesses and consuming it's goods. Like it or not 90% of the people in industrial first world countries are hardwired into this lifestyle (myself included) and many will be willing to kill to allow it to continue. Hard choices are going to be made either by our hand (withdrawing slowly from excess) or by nature's hand through the form of natural disasters, starvation, poisoning and ELE's.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

No argument from me .... We (people) of the industrialized world have - for the most part - forgotten that to live one's life is not dependent on "shiny things" and "glowing lights." But the Oceans of the world are finally showing the true nature of what is being done there "for our consumption." It's infuriating.

There was a time (early 20th century) when the stripers you could catch off New York were 10+ pounds in weight, now you'll be lucky if you catch a 2 pounder. The resilience of the oceans has been sorely tested and while some excuse the abuse as a matter of culture, there are societies that require the ocean as a primary source of food.

Now, irony of ironies, even if the food is left to remain there for those who need it, it's all poisoned with mercury, PCBs, and other bizarre toxins we dump wholesale into the ocean along with our billions of pounds of trash.

And still, the government wants us to 'cut back' because that way they can justify continuing to dump trash in the ocean, they raise the price of fuel so we justify the sea bed rape by the energy cartel, they choke our food supply by subsidizing ethanol to dilute our gasoline, while telling us we need to 'purchase' 'new' cars, which they wantonly tax. And the price of food goes up. Let's face it, no one is at the helm... our political (even global) leaders are in paradise... the world operates on autopilot and all that is required from them is demagoguery and populist rhetoric after which they can return to the luxurious life of elite leadership.

How about making the energy cartel, Big Chemical, Big Aggro, Big Pharma, and the speculator-gamblers pay for a change? Oh, that would hurt jobs..... they are too big to fail.... the corporation has "human" rights.

top topics

join