It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your favorite genre and top 5 fav movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hi all. I just felt like making a fun laid back thread and as I was sitting on my couch watching some movies on netflix the idea came to me. I am sure there have been threads like this before but since so many people join here everyday i thought it might be nice to do this so the new people could have some input.

My favorite genre is horror. No I am not a psycho or a sadist. I love being scared and I love how in the really great horror movies the music is tuned in to the action on screen so much so that your heart begins to race just by hearing the tempo pick up. I also love to watch the development of the main character and see how the choices they make and the actions they take help them survive the killer.

My top 5 movies of all time are not all horror.

1. Halloween (1978) This movie scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. It also has no blood in the movie. How many horror movies can say that. Jamie Lee Curtis was the perfect heroine for this role and she played her part perfectly. This movie would not have been as scary though had it not been for the music that was written by John Carpenter. During a documentary about the movie John states that he showed the movie to some hollywood big wig without the music and the person said it was not scary at all. The simple addition of the piano at just the right times in the movie made all the difference.

2. Clue: This movie is good on so many fronts. There is plenty of suspense and comedy. The actors that played their roles were perfectly chosen. This is one of those movies that if I am bored and want to watch a movie but nothing sounds good, this one can always be watched

3. The Crow: I like this movie because I am big on the paranormal, and a guy coming back to life to avenge the death of him and his girlfriend fits the bill. It is such a shame that Brandon Lee's life was cut short while making this movie.

4: Caddyshack: Nothing says classic comedy like this movie does. The main cast was a who's who of hollywood at the time, and there was virtually no time where a person could not be laughing during this movie. Bill Murray and his quest to kill the gopher is probably the most funny sub plot in any movie that I have seen. Chevy Chase's delivery of his lines still make me laugh just by thinking about it. Whenever I need a pick me up I can pop this movie in and disappear into it for an hour and a half.

5.Princess Bride: This is one of those guilty pleasure movies. It is a love story/comedy. Wesley's quest to find Buttercup is filled with action and comedy. It is a perfect movie to watch on a first date or very early on in a new relationship.

Thats my list. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
1 The Hangover
2 A Few Good Men
3 Scarface
4 Good Fellas
5 Men of Honor

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
The Goonies
Back to the Future
Event Horizon
Flatliners

1 more-What dreams may come
Indiana Jones, Inception, Shutter Island, The Hangover, Candmany, all the Halloweens (except that dumb one with the computers) House of 1000 Corpses, anything with boobs, there is too many.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
The Goonies
Back to the Future
Event Horizon
Flatliners

1 more-What dreams may come
Indiana Jones, Inception, Shutter Island, The Hangover, Candmany, all the Halloweens (except that dumb one with the computers) House of 1000 Corpses, anything with boobs, there is too many.

anything with boobs- LOL

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

I cannot stop laughing from this and I will get in trouble from the "too short a response" police. But I cannot stop laughing...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

I don't care how dumb a movie is or if the sound is broke a boob movie is always better. Boobs in space would be cool too-who said that in a movie, dang it now it's driving me mad...argghh.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a clockwork orange
malcolm
back tothe future
american psycho
what the bleep do we know?

the hangover is the most over rated over hyped pile of rubbish and u people should be ashamed naming that in ur top 5 or even top 500

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

OMG What the Bleep do we know? I thought I was the only person who has seen that. Everytime I see frozen water, or look at myself in the mirror when I am mad, or bounce a basketball too. Love that movie Holy Crap!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have never heard of what the bleep do we know. What is it about?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

How the world is pertaining to physics, and how when you freeze water while playing Beethoven the crystals are beautiful, but blaring Lamb of God, etc., turns the crystals into deformities. Very awesome movie.

Here is some info on the Scientist Dr. Masaru Emoto who freezes water: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Dune (the origional)
Starship Troopers (again, the origional)
Fight Club
Sean of the Dead
Super Troopers

If I happen to be flipping channels, and come across any of the above five films, I can almost never move on.
But ask me tomorro, and my answers will likely vary. Except Dune and Fight Club, they are always in the top five with me.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Dr. Strangelove (Because I went to War and worked in the "War Room" and my job was the big boards)
Close Encounters - because of all the - drum roll - conspiracy thoughts it got going in my child brain
Foul Play (silly 70's Goldie Hawn, Dudley Moore and Burgess Merideth at their finest)
Car Wash (another silly 70s, George Carlin, Richard Pryor - good music and a real period piece)

I guess I am mostly stuck in the 70s - just saw Super8 set in the 70s and I think it is gonna make my list, best new flick in ages.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It all depends on my mood...

COMEDY - "Airplane!" I could watch this over and over again. I love spoof movies, but the older ones were the best. Spaceballs was the best modern one, and of course, Blazing Saddles.

ROMANCE - "The Cutting Edge" I have no idea why, but apparently, I'm not alone as a guy who likes this movie..."toepick!"

HORROR - "The Omen" I love biblical horror, so my top 5 would be all about this aspect.

ADVENTURE - "The Princess Bride" This movie is really ALL genres at once, but overall, this movie succeeds on SO many levels. This category could be broken up into many other categores though.

SCI-FI - "Star Wars" C'mon, this movie redefined the entire movie-going experience.

WESTERN - "Tombstone" Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, classic

FANTASY - "The NeverEnding Story" The sequels sucked, but the original is a true classic.

So many others that could be mentioned here.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The Mission

Network

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Mosquito Coast

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

(all of the Shrek movies)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
My favorite genre is thriller. I love movies about mystery and neo-noir movies, things like that.

My top 5 are :

Silence of the Lambs
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Hostel
Saw
Final Destination
House of 1000 Corpses
The Martyrs

Favorite Genre: Musicals.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

edit on 25-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hard to tell what my fave genre is, I guess action films like Rambo and the first two in the First Blood series etc

Top 5 of all time? Also hard but I'll give it a go in no particular order:

* Commando

* Monty Python and the Holy Grail

* Cloverfield

* Ghostbusters

* Robocop

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
nooooooooo so hard to pick 5 favorite i have a few
fav genre has to be horror though.

hmm lets see some of my favs are

1. The green mile
i love the story line in this,

2. tommy-knockers -

3. the hills have eyes

4. I.T

5. American history x

6. The passions of Christ

7. 300

8. nightmare on elm street

9. child's play

10. gremlins
- i love gizmo he so cute

i have loads and loads more tho

oh u said only 5 haha
edit on 25/6/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/6/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morbidness
My favorite genre is thriller. I love movies about mystery and neo-noir movies, things like that.

My top 5 are :

Silence of the Lambs
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner

you liked mullholland drive??
that movie confused the hell outta me couldnt get into it at all

top topics

<<   2 >>

join