It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorini (Thera) Volcano in Greece might be waking up..!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Campi Flegrei update 28th June

Campi Flegrei 5.0 @ 10km

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Earthquake!

OK it's not a biggy, but it is shallow, 2.2 @ 1km

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
For live feeds on current earthquakes happening within Greece.

www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
*** MAG 4.4 2011/07/01 00:57:21 DEPTH = 35.1

CRETE, GREECE

see: earthquake.usgs.gov...

any relevance, do U think???

seeya

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Hi everyone! Sorry I got lost, just had a couple of revolutionary days here in Greece!
Thank you for the updates!
About this earthquake in Crete, I don't really know. It could be relevant, since it's not that far from Santorini, but we've had an EQ measuring 6.3 in Crete on April 1st, so it could be a simple aftershock. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the subject could help us answer that.
About the volcano itself, still no official news. Wait and see, I guess...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The EQ is almost right on top of the Mediterranean fault line. I am trying to keep a close eye on EQ's that are happening along this as I am concerned any EQ's along here are having a 'creep' or what I call 'jackhammer' affect. Here's a link so you can see map of the 4.4. You can move the map around and scroll out for a more birdseye view. Hence the reason I have put up links here to Campi Flegrei.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

I have been away for a couple of days too, and noticed a couple of not so nice postings on my thread so have to go and be polite now!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I noticed your link and noticed two different reading about the EQ, below are the images.

1 July, 2011 at 00:57:21 UTC
Friday, July 01, 2011 at 00:57 at night at epicenter
34° 48.000, 24° 6.000
30 km (18.64 miles)
1.85 km (1.15 miles) of Vatsiana,

edit on 1-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

I noticed your link and noticed two different reading about the EQ, below are the images.

1 July, 2011 at 00:57:21 UTC
Friday, July 01, 2011 at 00:57 at night at epicenter
34° 48.000, 24° 6.000
30 km (18.64 miles)
1.85 km (1.15 miles) of Vatsiana,

edit on 1-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

Interesting.....could it be that there were two quakes then?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This is USGS report

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.4
Date-Time Friday, July 01, 2011 at 00:57:21 UTC
Friday, July 01, 2011 at 03:57:21 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.933°N, 24.090°E
Depth 35.1 km (21.8 miles)
Region CRETE, GREECE
Distances 64 km (39 miles) S of Chania, Crete, Greece
104 km (64 miles) WSW of Iraklion, Crete, Greece
267 km (165 miles) SSW of Naxos, Cyclades Islands, Greece
340 km (211 miles) S of ATHENS, Greece

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 22.4 km (13.9 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 46, Nph= 49, Dmin=83.5 km, Rmss=1.36 sec, Gp=140°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0004lpm

Link

earthquake.usgs.gov...

which I think matches the EDIS report.

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 1-7-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Latest report on Santorini....they are taking notice!

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Raving on July 5, 2011, 8:00 AM
Tuesday morning. …

With Taal stepping down, Etna audibly booming, Hekla inflating, Santorini and Taupo shaking, plus Puyehue and Nabro carrying on as usual, we need more to worry about!

AS recently as 500 years ago tsunamis more powerful than any in recent centuries swept the South Pacific and experts believe even bigger waves will come and almost certainly hit Australia’s east coast.

“The really exciting stuff is we’re realising that we’re getting bigger events than we thought possible from places we hadn’t thought of,” he said.

2011 is looking ahead to a super eruptive summer.

From bigthink.com...

Couldn't have put it better myself!
rainbows
jane

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Here are the latest news on the volcano from the scientific community:

www.naxosnews.gr...

Here is the translation:
Absolutely reassuring display by the scientific community on the issue of seismic activity recorded in recent days in Santorini. This is particularly patients vibrations in the range of 2-3 on the Richter scale, which have no center of the volcano, but the marine area around the island.

This activity is not necessarily associated with any volcanic process, but even if this happens, the potential explosion of the active volcano of Santorini is entirely theoretical.

"When we talk about internal process of the volcano, we do not mean an explosion," he says clearly Professor of Geology at the University of Athens, Efthimios Lekkas.

"We talk about volcanic activity, not actually visible to the naked eye. It seems like the gas flow at higher speeds or internal movement of magma to very little." To be alarmed the scientific community, says Mr. Lekas, the volcano should be serious business for many years.

"The volcano is always alert. Must become an internal process of years, warming, changes in local relief, releasing lava, etc. It is simply a blast." Reassuring is the mayor of Santorini, Mark Kafouros, who stresses that for years there is continuous monitoring of the volcano.

"In Santorini, we have the most extensive network of institutions to monitor their activity. Competent scientists advised that there is absolutely no reason to worry. Anyway know that the volcano is active and has some activity in any case, it is to happen in the future, we will know in advance. No volcano erupts suddenly. "

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Nice find Angel! Now, I think we 're up to a pretty eruptive summer as well, but at least good thing about volcanoes, as scientist say, is that they always do give us a warning before they erupt.
Quick question though: If they really do give fairly precise warning signs, how come scientists always get caught off guard when they do erupt???
Food for thought..!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Here's another one

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Found any more local news about the sulphur smell or anything yet?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Blimmey! I knew it was big, but not THIS BIG!

"The 1883 underwater blast from Krakatau in Indonesia, was heard over one-thirteenth of the earth's surface. Rocks were thrown 34 miles high and ash fell 3 313 miles away. The giant wave it triggered wiped out 163 villages with 38 380 people in them up to 800 km away, yet Krakatau was only about one-fifth of the Santorini explosion in Greece, c1550 BC, which destroyed the island and possibly gave rise to the myth of Atlantis."

From here

www.terryally.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Santorini updated to "Restless"

Santorini has been upgraded to restless which is a level 2 out of 5, report here:

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The following as Santorini
2011-11-14 03:31:12 2.7 17 Km
2011-11-13 09:44:28 2.7 25 Km
2011-11-13 08:47:14 2.5 18 Km
2011-11-13 08:12:14 2.7 16 Km
2011-11-13 17:27:21 3.7 94 Km
EDIS
RSOE EDIS have also added Santorini to their list of Supervolcs!

"November 13, 2011 – GREECE – Seismic activity beneath Santorini volcano continues to be slightly above normal levels. Beginning since July this year, an there is elevated activity in a SW-NE trending zone passing through Nea Kameni and the submarine Kolumbos volcano NE of Santorini. The alignment (also known as the Kameni and Kolumbus lines) is a ca. 2 km wide zone parallel to a tectonic horst and graben structure of the crystalline basement of the area. Most of the known volcanic vents of Santorini during the past 2 million years were located on this alignment, more precisely either on its southern boundary (Kameni line) or on its northern boundary (Kolumbus line). Lacking other data sources, the information visible on the location and number of earthquakes is too weak, other than to vaguely speculate that the current earthquake activity around Santorini could be a precursor to new activity from this volcano. Santorini’s last eruption was in 1950. –Volcano Discovery
The devastating volcanic eruption of Santorini at Thera has become the most famous single event in the Aegean before the fall of Troy. It may have been one of the largest volcanic eruptions on Earth in the last few thousand years, with an estimated 7 on the VEI (volcanic explosivity index). -Wikipedia
theextinct... ionprotocol.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/number-of-earthquakes-at-santorini-continues-at-slightly-elevated-levels/

Rainbows
Jane
edit on

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Wow, thanks for the heads up Jane! So, if RSOE EDIS added Thera in their supervolcano list, does this mean the volcano is getting active more quickly than usual? And yet another question: since the volcano has been listed as restless, does this mean that it could erupt soon, or would it need many years of activity for an explosion to happen? I am still a rookie as far as volcanoes are concerned!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

Hi Imogene!
I have no idea, I am sure some of our EQ experts over on EQ thread will be able to point us in the direction of more localised seismic chart for the area and maybe help/teach us what we need to look out for

In the meantime I am trying to find where I read some interesting reports sometime in August I believe where some underwater ROVERS were sent because they had detected some undersea venting going on around Santorini....think El Hierro here...Santorini was at it before El Hierro started!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
my 2 cent on the subject

when we look at the moon or many of the celestial bodies we are lucky enough to have a picture of...we can clearly see that impacts between heavenly bodies is not only quiet common..but its the rule...so we have a moon close to us which just remind us how easily it might get to get hit!....but it tells you another interesting story..

when comparing the number of craters on the moon to those on Earth there is an enormous difference in numbers..

so does this means that Earth was hit a lot less than the Moon?, not at all....thats just a reminder that Earth did get hit many many times in the past..so were are our craters? ...they have all been coated by the huge volcanic activity we have here on Earth, which constantly coat shape the surface of our planet.

so basically OP S+F to you , every volcano is worth watching!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join