It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple wants to block iPhone users from filming live events with their smartphone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
MODS please move if I posted in wrong area.

Holding up an iPhone will trigger infra-red sensors installed at the venue. These instruct the device to shut down its camera The days of filming a live concert or sporting event on your iPhone may soon be a distant memory. Apple is developing software that will sense when a smartphone user is trying to record a live event, and then switch off the device's camera. Anybody holding up their iPhone will find it triggers infra-red sensors installed at the venue. These sensors would then automatically instruct the iPhone to shut down its camera function, preventing footage from being recorded. Only the iPhone's camera would be temporarily disabled; other features, such as texting and making calls, would still work.

Source

edit on 18-6-2011 by C21H30O2I because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Censorship at it's finest. I'm glad I don't own an iPhone.
This is BS we loose freedom everyday in this country!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Make no mistake. This isn't so much about filming a live concert as it is filming the police in action.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

I totally agree with you 100% They don't want us to record, The beating or killing of innocent people.
Wonder if they came down on Apple to do this. Or is Apple leading the charge?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Dear Steve Jobs,

Beware. Beware!!! You are pissing lots of consumers off with this crap!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I've seen this story a few times now but I still have to wonder what the gain is for Apple?

They won't be spending money on the technology for a zero return on investment.

So, what's the real story? Who gains in the end?

edit on 18-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I think apple is just in bed with govt like most corporations, and this is just a test.

When successful expect some global organization to have it implemented in every phone and camera.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
seems to me it would be a simple matter for Apple...
they already track you with the built-in GPS the phone sends that data back to Apple...
so they know if your at a concert or the ball park... seems to me Apple knowing where you are could just temporarily disable the vid and picture functions while your there... of course if you didn't pay apple that up front fee as the event promoter... then they wouldn't bother turning anything off

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Is this just for concerts? How does this work for videoing anything? The video function only records in live mode you can't delay it or anything. . I am going to read more on this because that would defeat the purpose of the video camera function on the phone.
edit on 18-6-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I've seen this story a few times now but I still have to wonder what the gain is for Apple?

They won't be spending money on the technology for a zero return on investment.

So, what's the real story? Who gains in the end?

edit on 18-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

It is an east connect the dots.
Apple is Itunes.
Itunes has to obtain the rights to sell Music as per recording artist agreements.
I am sure that the music industry offered them a great deal on this fact, if Apple starts blocking abilities of the worlds most popular smartphone.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Cop cars using infrared

The cops are using Infrared Imaging for many uses. The cars are able to put out a virtual 360 degree infrared wall. they dont want you video taping them. Wait till you see videos of cops using their cars to disable cameras. I bet you will see the cops drag suspects to the "safety" of the infrared wall.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This is just another way to stop real reporting of events, so it's anti-free press. Tech people will come up with a way around this proposed police-tool, but not everyone will get around it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
This is just another way to stop real reporting of events, so it's anti-free press. Tech people will come up with a way around this proposed police-tool, but not everyone will get around it.

There's an App for that..

Apple will sell it, to counteract their Infrared Disabling devices.
Then there will be an App for the Concerts to deploy, to disable the App on the Iphone that disables the infrared disabler.

edit on 18-6-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Cue some enterprising use of "infrared cut-out filters"?

These filters exist to block infrared but visible light passes, so find a small flat camera grade one and fix it over your i-phone camera? You may need to also see if it messes auto focus if that uses IR[surely there are possible manual focus for i-phone cams ?], and if other IR sensors get fitted, tape over them.

Or, simply use another recording device, lord knows you're spoilt for choice these days, perhaps pop a cam in a hat, glasses, bottle...you may even be able to stream it to your phone - how will Apple know what data is being sent?

edit on 18-6-2011 by curioustype because: *added small note

edit on 18-6-2011 by curioustype because: editped added note

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
at most live events - the T&C of your ticket prohibits unauthorised recording

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm wondering if this is actually true? Worst case, if an act has strict rules against recording vids, then it would make sense, but lots of indie acts actually encourage it, so why would a venue even spend the $$$?

Besides, there are much better devices to record a vid than an iPhone.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by C21H30O2I
reply to post by Nutter

I totally agree with you 100% They don't want us to record, The beating or killing of innocent people.
Wonder if they came down on Apple to do this. Or is Apple leading the charge?

I agree, next thing you know theres going to be police using the signal in their lights on the cars or something to shut down camera phones.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I think apple is just in bed with govt like most corporations, and this is just a test.

I agree, Wasn't there news of a chip going in all cell phones awhile back?
I don't know what Apple will get out of this either. But the Gov will sure benefit.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't know. Could this be the Gov using strong arm tactics? Basically, the cost of doing business?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My 35mm cam, has no such ap.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join