It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New malware steals bitcoins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

New malware steals bitcoins

arstechnica.com

In a sure sign that the virtual currency Bitcoin has hit the mainstream, a new Trojan horse program discovered in the wild Thursday seeks out and steals victims’ Bitcoin wallets, the same way other malware goes for their banking passwords or credit card numbers.

The malware, Infostealer.Coinbit, is fairly simple: it targets Windows machines and zeroes in on the standard file location for a Bitcoin wallet. It then e-mails the wallet—a data file containing private crypto keys—to the attacker by way of a server in Poland, according to Symantec, which was first to alert on the attack.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gizmodo.com

Opps can this be moved to the correct forum.
edit on 18-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
So very glad I stopped using windows in the 90's. Windows is such a horrible system to rely on when you you wish to be secure in your computer data. Mac OS is little better.

Wether you want to believe it or not these two companies, Microsoft and Apple are granted their monopolies by the government and I assure you cow-toe the line in allowing the exploitatability of these systems to continue.

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
this is all the government would need to create to detour people from using bitcoin

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
i never heard of bitcoin til a few days ago it reminds of egold and what happened to them.

if you think for one minute that the federal reserve will allow a competing currency or cyber currency dont hold your breath.

i forsee bitcoin going the way of egold.

hackers are becoming too dangerous and they think its all a game.

honestly nothing beats a prepaid debit card.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

MacOS is the least secure operating system dude. Linux Red hat is much more secure. I personally use windows because their are certain software I need, but If was was trying something different or needed to get secure internet access or use public wifi, I use linux on my laptop

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You need to do more research about bitcoin, and the ways the government arent really capable of containing it, although I think the biggest issue is security, which will create new businesses or websites that make sure your bitcoin is safe. Otherwise it has so many beneficial aspects.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

MacOS is the least secure operating system dude. Linux Red hat is much more secure. I personally use windows because their are certain software I need, but If was was trying something different or needed to get secure internet access or use public wifi, I use linux on my laptop

As for myself, I started with slackware but I have used debian for many years

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Well......that was fast.

Second

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Bitcoins are worth stealing.

This is a sign that they are valuable to people. People are risking jail time for bit coins, just like with real money...

...Let this be a lesson to us all.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Debian ROCKS! All my transactions and banking are done on my Linux/Debian partition. My other partition is Windows 7 64 bit and is purely for gaming and music creation, nothing personal or financial. All of you guys should try and get started with Debian, you will love it. You will also find out just how much quicker your systems will run when using multi-core and multi-disk hardware, especially SSD RAID arrays.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

They don't have to keep their bitcoins in an unsafe place like a local hard drive.

They don't even have to buy bitcoins until they're ready to use them either.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

They don't have to keep their bitcoins in an unsafe place like a local hard drive.

They don't even have to buy bitcoins until they're ready to use them either.

Thats very true, but the majority of computer users don't actually consider things like this

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Said it before and Ill say it again. About the same time that BitCoin became a little more well known and the govt. had the predictable poo attack, LulzSec was there.

I realize timing isnt everything but I find the timing suspect none the less.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

You need to do a little more research on bitcoin yourself. It has been connected to the illegal drug selling site silkroad.org. They are hosted in the same place in the same way. Considering its another fiat currency its value is tied to nothing. The value has been changing up to 30% a day and can be profited on the way up and down like any other currency carry trade. This is a very illegitimate way of doing transaction.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
reply to post by thegoods724

You need to do a little more research on bitcoin yourself. It has been connected to the illegal drug selling site silkroad.org.

Kinda like Fed Reserve notes...

Cocaine on Money: Drug Found on 90% of U.S. Bills

Any currency will be used to buy drugs.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
only bitcoins and not toncoins or megacoins?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
You need to do more research about bitcoin, and the ways the
government arent really capable of containing it,

lol, me thinks you need to do a lil more research,
they don't intend to contain it,
they intend to hack it and
blame a 3rd Party.

Same thing on 9/11 ------- hint hint

they still get their info
whether or not it was acquired