It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Land of the Free? New York and California come out at the bottom of individual freedoms study.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well if you wondered if we were still "the land of the free", looks like we aren't, even foreign MSM is reporting what has happened to our country

Original Source

It might be the ‘Land of the Free’, but some states certainly aren’t living up to the words of America’s national anthem. New York, New Jersey and California are the least free in the U.S., based on an index of public policies affecting your individual freedoms. The rankings are based economic, social and personal freedoms of Americans - and include measures such as taxes, government spending and regulations.

If the overseas MSM press is reporting this but our own MSM press are ignoring this, do we have any hope.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

It breaks my heart here in UK to have witnessed all the changes in the U.S since 9/11!!!

For me America was always that land I respected so much, that brought all those great ideals embedded in the Constitution.

With all the aggressive policies in recent years, the hardening of the police and corruption has just made me downright depressed about the future.

I really didn't want the picture Alex Jones paints to be anything like a reality, but sadly it appears to be the case.

No better here in the UK either. Here it all started with the Criminal Justice Act, a downward spiral since then.

We are told that the Muslims made all these new freedom curbing laws necessary! I think not. It could have been handled so differently.

But here we are in this grim present!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
OK. Now rate the states from liberal to conservative. Now plot the freedom index against your liberal/conservative index. What is the correlation?

Edit to add: Here's a liberal - conservative poll. I suppose one could use this in the absence of anything else, but a poll is not a study, so you could make the case that this is an apples & oranges comparison. Nevertheless, the correlation is still there.
edit on 6/16/2011 by schuyler because: added link

Edit to add. If you actually read the raw data (look on page 19) the correlation has already been done. The trend is obvious. The more liberal and green the state, the less freedom you have.
edit on 6/16/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It's only this way because people asked for these measures after 9/11. And that let loose the tyranny. Now look at what has happened.

The face of Freedom is just that...only a face. Underneath it all is a Police State like no other. I feel sorry to be witness to the fall of America..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Yeah, except the study is conducted by the "free Market" priests at George Mason University, and it is completely based on the false idealism of the free market.

Notice there is nothing mentioned about laws that try to control what people do in their bedrooms, legalization of cannabis, child custody rights, civil liberties, union organization, and especially not protections of individuals from abusive business practices.

The only rights this study is concerned about, is the rights of corporations to control the masses.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Land of the free?
Whoever told you that is your enemy.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
They needed a huge study for this?
All they had to do was ask.

No study needed for this.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
OK. Now rate the states from liberal to conservative. Now plot the freedom index against your liberal/conservative index. What is the correlation?

Edit to add: Here's a liberal - conservative poll. I suppose one could use this in the absence of anything else, but a poll is not a study, so you could make the case that this is an apples & oranges comparison. Nevertheless, the correlation is still there.
edit on 6/16/2011 by schuyler because: added link

Edit to add. If you actually read the raw data (look on page 19) the correlation has already been done. The trend is obvious. The more liberal and green the state, the less freedom you have.
edit on 6/16/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Labels just divide, whether conservative or liberal, the advisers and policies stay the same, laws never get repealed, and the agenda moves forward. The real answer is limited government, less government, and that's the bottom line.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Ah, I posted this about a week ago from the original news source, but was slammed because the study was backed by media that is held in low standards on ATS. Take it as it is, MSM paid for research. Interesting to see how other news outfits are portraying the study(twisting, adding more to? etc?), and a post yesterday had shown the link, finally released(?) of the researcher's site. In the end as I stated, people are moving, searching for freedom(what ever that might be to them) and for reasons the study may not have mentioned.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
it proves liberals are not what they claim.

not a one of them believe in anything but controlling others.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

My apologies for stepping on your thread, I used the search function and it didn't find anything relating to the subject. I am not a fan of the new search engine.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

No problem, actually it helps people at least get the to read different articles of the information presented, since it was obviously to vague, or to MSM at the time.

edit on 17-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: fix

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Sigh. God damn it, Poet. Stop saying stuff that makes me star your post. People are gonna start asking questions.

Yeah. you pretty much said exactly what I clicked on the thread to say - this is determining "most free" as "least taxed" which is insanely stupid.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Yeah, except the study is conducted by the "free Market" priests at George Mason University, and it is completely based on the false idealism of the free market.

Notice there is nothing mentioned about laws that try to control what people do in their bedrooms, legalization of cannabis, child custody rights, civil liberties, union organization, and especially not protections of individuals from abusive business practices.

The only rights this study is concerned about, is the rights of corporations to control the masses.

I vote we tax you to hell. If a majority agrees with such a measure, would you call it just or think you are free?

Freedom includes economic freedom.

new topics

top topics

join