It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiroshima - 59th anniversary

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

HIROSHIMA, Japan The mayor of Hiroshima on Friday marked the anniversary of the world's first atomic bomb attack by criticizing the United States for its pursuit of new nuclear weapons, and he called for a global ban on all nuclear arms by 2020.

IHT Online

The big story for me is not how the mayor criticized the US, not how the anniversary was mostly ignored by the US, but how some people still think the atomic bombing of Japan was justified or necessary, and are unapologetic in their ignorance.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My question would be why 2020. Seems pretty far off to me and a lot can happen before then.

I mean if you're going to call for a ban why have a deadline that far out?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
The big story for me is not how the mayor criticized the US, not how the anniversary was mostly ignored by the US, but how some people still think the atomic bombing of Japan was justified or necessary, and are unapologetic in their ignorance.

Ignorance eh? Are you intersted in a serious discussion of the reasons behind the dropping of the bomb or is this just flame bait?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

hmm... drop the atomic bombs and kill a few hundred thousand, or invade and kill millions? which sounds like a less loss. to me, it's the atomic bombs.

also, we warned the japanese to leave the cities because we had weapons capable of destroying them. not to mention that the bombers made at least one pass prior to dropping the bomb in order for people to get to safety. they decided not to heed our warnings.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What actually happened is very different from what we learned in school. That old adage about how the victors write history is true. Japan was trying to surrender before we dropped those bombs. There are lots of facts people don't know. Just Google something like, "Hiroshima, necessary". I really don't want to discuss it, I just wanted to comment on how amazed I am that some people still believed it! Sounds like, "Columbus Discovered America" type history.

Also it's weird, since we off trying to find WMDs, that I hadn't heard Bush or Kerry comment on the anniversary.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
i got sent a video that shows the deployment of Little Boy onto Hiroshima...

dunno if i can show u it without sending u it.

All it shows u is Enora Grey flying over the city and then a flash of light and the massive mushroom cloud; also tells u what it was used...ie..the 15mgtn device etc.

here are some videos i have found when doing Hiroshima and Nagisaki during highschool and when doing this search:

*caution tho as some images are graphic*

Nagasaki Journey

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hey Usama - we've passed a nuclear weapon ban, so you aren't allowed to use them.

Yeah, right.

Don't get me wrong. Proliferation is scary and we should do whatever we can do to discourage further production of these evil weapons - there are already enough of them. I'm just saying that rhetoric calling for a ban is overly simplistic.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It is very sad indeed that we had forgotten how many lives were lost in hiroshima, but again if it was in US we will be reminded of it for the rest of our natural lifes and it will be memorials all over the nation.

Really sad indeed. We only teach history in this nation US version style.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I find it sad and telling that the day passed in America without any sort of rememberence. We killed alot of people, and damaged future generations on that day. At the very least people should think about it.

But, then again, we American's are quite self absorbed and tend to mark the days that directly affect them (Sept. 11, for example, will never go by without a mention or a moment of silence)

I am ashamed of what my country did to Hiroshima and Nakasaki. My thoughts are with those who lost loved ones to that tragedy, and to the generations still being affected by our governments actions.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Factions of japan's military did not want to surrender even after both bombs were dropped. They tried to steal the emperor's radio message of surrender. Look at the Japanese people that threw themselves rather then surrender. People should really look into how surrender was seen in their culture.Samurai warriors were willing and even eager to die in the service of their masters. (The name can be translated literally into "one who serves.")

Another way to look at it is do you think Japan would have used the Atomic bomb un us if they had it first?

[edit on 8-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
To me it does not matter if Japan would have used it if they had it first. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the US is the ONLY country to ever drop a bomb of that scale in the history of mankind. And WE have the nerve to run around complaining if others have the weapons of mass destruction?

That is hypocritical IMO.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It would matter to you if you lived in D.C or NewYork if Japan had the Atomic bomb first.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Judging from your avatar, you are one who glorifies weapons and war. I am not. I'm a pacifist, and I find the use of those weapons to be disgusting.

The bombs should not have been dropped on Japan, and the US should not be strutting around today like a ego maniac proclaiming itself to be the only country capable of managing weapons of mass destruction. (and of using them properly, as if that is possible)

That said, I respectfully agree to disagree - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I won't change yours, and you won't change mine.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If you think you can Judge anything about a person from a Avatar then I feel truly sad for you.

Im not a Hawk but I understand the real world we live in. I would love to live in a world were everyone could be pacifist, and that it would work out great for everyone. But its not going to happen in the near future.

True pacifist that will not fight no matter what deserve the fate this world will give them.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I've noticed that you have not touched the real issue that I brought up. That is:

Why should the US be the only country who is allowed to have and use these horribly destructive weapons? We killed 100s of thousands of people in Hiroshima and Nakasaki, but when 3000 people died on Sept. 11, we looked at it like the worst tragedy ever. Don't get me wrong, it was a tragedy, but nothing compared to what we have done to other nations.

What about the generations still being born deformed in Japan, as a result of our actions?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I dont remember the United States as the only ones that have nukes. Russia has more then enough to destroy the world China claims to have like 200 though they most likely have way more. Some european countries have thier own too.

Your making it seem like America is the only one with the bomb

[edit on 8-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT),

A total of 187 states have now signed the agreement, with exceptions being Cuba, Israel, India, and Pakistan.

The treaty obliges the nuclear powers never to transfer their nuclear technology to other countries, and forbids other countries from acquiring nuclear capability.

These countries have all signed the NPT, but they are nevertheless suspected of secretly trying to develop their own nuclear arsenals.

North Korea
Iran
Libya

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Its odd everyone brings up Hiroshima and often Nagasaki is not mentioned as much more than an after thought.

On 8/6/45 Hiroshima was bombed. For 3 days the war was STILL taking place.

Japan was nuked yet signifigant combat was still taking place.

Then on 8/9/45 Nagasaki was nuked. And even then still sections of the Japanese military wanted to fight on.

So... if it took two nuclear weapons (and the threat of more, even thought there were no more yet) to force a surrender... what would it have taken with conventional warfare?

While hundreds of thousands of civilians were killed, the two cities were major infrastructure points, its wasn't just killing to win, it was about stoping the japanese warmachine.

War and killing is wrong. But dropping nukes, especially with no serious knowledge of the long term effects seems rather rational to me. One plane, one bomb, one run...rather than hundreds of each.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If we got rid of all nuclear weapons what exactly would we do when a asteroid is heading on a Collision Course to earth?

Ask Japan to stop it with their (non nuclear) good intentions

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
If you think you can Judge anything about a person from a Avatar then I feel truly sad for you.

Im not a Hawk but I understand the real world we live in. I would love to live in a world were everyone could be pacifist, and that it would work out great for everyone. But its not going to happen in the near future.

True pacifist that will not fight no matter what deserve the fate this world will give them.

I describe myself as a pacifist as well. What makes this world a truly sad place to live in is a contradiction like this...if you want to live in a world without violence then your views should reflect that. As long as we have folk like you that are willing to accept war and murder even though you are able to admit that its wrong then we will always live in a world where wrong can be justified. There is no justification for killing another human being--we say that not only about 911 or the suicide bombers in Israel, we say that everytime a human turns a gun on another human or harms another human no matter the circumstance. If you believe a world without violence is the perfect place for humans then you should advocate that...not some "do what we gotta because the world is a pit". That is the thinking that makes the world a pit. Change your thought and you can change the world.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join