It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest lightbulb still burns bright after 110 years!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Source

Thought this one was pretty cool guys!

I have purchased tonnes of lightbulbs in my lifetime .. but all of mine are dead after 2-3 years!

Wow! I wonder if things are built to break these days?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This was featured on tonights Mythbusters. Apparently it still works because of the size of the filiment.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLordVeack

wow cool.. i missed that episode. I just found it on the web this morning.

So they think its the fillament then eh? I guess its thicker and more robust to high temps then. Amazing i thought.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Which is exactly one of the main reasons they made it thinner, so that we have to consume more of their products.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Agreed juleol,

I remember watching these vids a while back from "the story of stuff" and it was pretty amazing to watch what was happening with our consumables before, during and after creation.. very worrying!

The story of stuff

Cheers for posting!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLordVeack
This was featured on tonights Mythbusters. Apparently it still works because of the size of the filiment.

And the fact that it has never been turned off. (except a few outages I believe) No heating and cooling to weaken the filament.

I'm 47 now and I remember this when I was 10 yrs old. They reported on it back then as well.

Still burning bright!

edit on 15-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

WOW! I didnt realise that this had been reported on before.. however .. it does make sense as 110 years is pretty extreme. One should have assumed that there was a previous story made at the 100 year mark I spose.

I wonder if I can pull up any of the old articles about this too!

Cheers mate!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0
Source

Thought this one was pretty cool guys!

I have purchased tonnes of lightbulbs in my lifetime .. but all of mine are dead after 2-3 years!

Wow! I wonder if things are built to break these days?!?!?!

I had an old Sylvania light bulb for 40 years and one day during a storm, it knocked the light out. It was 189 watts I had found it in the attic of an old house we were living in when my children were young. And believe me I cried when it died. I actually thought it never would.
I had dropped it once and it still would light up!
My Mom said..What did you expect when you burn it every day.? Well.. light bulb immortality ,,,maybe?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's called planned obsolecense . The purposefully make products that fail in. A certain amount of time, so you must buy more , instead of making a product that will last.

Greed at it's finest. Let's all take a minute and thing of all the products we buy that are made to be replaced......

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0
reply to post by jude11

WOW! I didnt realise that this had been reported on before.. however .. it does make sense as 110 years is pretty extreme. One should have assumed that there was a previous story made at the 100 year mark I spose.

I wonder if I can pull up any of the old articles about this too!

Cheers mate!

I believe back then it would have been a newspaper or a science mag.

GL

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Which is exactly one of the main reasons they made it thinner, so that we have to consume more of their products.
That may be one reason. But I bought some "longer life lightbulbs" by mail order that have thicker filaments, and they do last longer, but they don't put out as much light. Apparently the thinner filament also burns more brightly with the same amount of electricity, which kind of makes sense if you think about it. The 110 year old lightbulb doesn't look all that bright.

Now that LEDs are coming of age, I wonder if 110 years from now people will marvel at how many LEDs are still going after 110 years...or not.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Awesome little light bulb, it keeps on shining

top topics

join