It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worms from Hell on Mars?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Further in the article;

Lead researchers Gaetan Borgonie of the University of Ghent in Belgium and Tullis Onscott of Princeton University told The Washington Post that this also raises more questions when it comes to extraterrestrial research. That includes whether there may be microbes below the surface of Mars, a cold, dry planet that once was more wet, warm and better protected by an atmosphere.
While the worms are only about half a millimeter, Onstott said the discovery is huge.

Which brings to mind; how many worms do you see in the winter? When at least the temperatures more closely resemble temperatures on Mars. Yes, we know of microbes that exist in the Antarctic frigid arid climate but as stated, a worm about a half a millimeter long is still a 10 billion times the size of microbes.

"It's kind of like finding Moby Dick in Lake Ontario," he told LiveScience . "It's so volumetrically big. It's 10 billion times the size of the bacteria upon which it feeds."

Link.

Think about life possibilities, a billion years ago a worm was the top of the food chain here on Earth, after about 2.8 billion years of evolution of life on this planet. Before the dinosaurs, before fish, even before multi-limbed Trilobites. I never understood the assumption of a denser atmosphere and flowing gushing liquid water on the surface of Mars, it just doesn't make sense to me.

If there's not enough force pressing the water into a liquid phase, then there's no force binding the water molecules together. If you simply allow them to diffuse away, they will. And that's the definition of a gas, which is what you'll wind up with.
It turns out that having a pressure vacuum will cause the water to boil almost instantly. In other words, the effect of boiling is much, much faster than the effect of freezing. That's' why I don't buy liquid H2O on the surface of Mars ever, comparing to how liquid water behaves on earth.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join