It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UC Davis Study: Gun Ownership Linked To Heavy Drinking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Mods, I have posted this article here in politics as I see this is political propaganda.
If needed please move accordingly.
Lies lie here.
Well folks it seems that all of us gun owning types are binge drinkers as well!!
I do drink a few beers on St.Patty's day and maybe once more every year.
I never knew that was binge drinking.
Really folks, UCDavis has a hard enough time with keeping babies alive.
I figure that would be a higher priority than making political propaganda.
I for one know personally alot of gun owners, a few are drinkers on a daily basis.
But for the greater part, i would not even say they have a problem with drinking.
What does the ATS community at large think?
Are gun owners all binge drinkers?
It seems we have been judged, what say you?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The only binge drinkers I've ever met in my life were students at a University of California campus, and none of them owned guns.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
They can judge me all they want. I dont do much drinking but have an arsenal big enough to heavily arm 5 grown ass men.

They will next try to bring in some type of study that says the smell of cordite will make you sterile or go blind.

At the end of the day...'From my cold dead hands"

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
"Awww shucks Maude! I can't wait to get outa chea' and get ma breifcase of Keystone Lights and go slap my wife right in the eye. Yes Sir! It sure is rough being a dirty redneck/alcholic/braindead/gunslinging/rootin' tootin' cowboy! With a brain deformity even!"

/end hillbilly voice

They'll try anything to further their BS won't they? Guns aren't going anywhere. The faster people realize that, the faaster we can focus on something real.

Real eyes realize real lies

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I guess this means I should start drinking?

ETA: I remember seeing these drinking reports when I was in college. No doubt designed to get these kids to stop getting blackout drunk every weekend. If memory serves "binge drinking" was something like 5 drinks.

Though I do not drink I've known quite a few in my time who do and if 5 drinks to them is a "binge" then I guess two rifles is an "arsenal."

Interesting enough for most reporters out there two rifles is an arsenal.

edit on 15-6-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
ucdavis sacremento CALIFORNIA

need anyone really say anything more?

the biggest load of horse crap i have ever read on here.

edit on 15-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
More california cr*p being touted as fact...I own guns,,,have all my life...Im also a teetotaler...never touch a drop...Im willing to bet some taxpayer grant paid for this "study"

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I drink hard on the weekends, and own lots of guns. So what? I had guns since I was a little kid, long before I drank

I guess it is meant to scare people that don't drink or own guns or something?
edit on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:23:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'sh jussht noot shuuuure 'bout all dat. I'z haz lots o' guns and haaaas a drinks alllll de timme. /drunk voice off

Or to paraphrase a popular saying - I don't have a drinking problem. I get drunk, load up my guns and shoot up the neighborhood. I have more of an ammo problem.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I own many firearms, my smallest being a small semi automatic .22 pistol for targets shooting in the back yard. My largest being a Ruger M77 MkII .300 Win. I have a few in between including a .410 shotgun and a 12 gauge. Oddly enough... I don't drink enough to justify buying a 6 pack for myself. Last time I got drunk was back in 2007 way before I even had any firearms. Last time I had a drink? Christmas I had wine with dinner.

I'd really love to know how this study was conducted. Probably something like the following.

Question 1: Do you own a firearm?
Check one: __ Yes | __ No

Question 2: Do you drink?
Check one: __ Yes | __ No

Question 3: How often do you drink?
Check one:
__ Multiple Times A Day
__ Everyday
__ Every couple hours
__ Binge (Defined as 1 or more beer within the course of 2 hours on any day of the week)
__ Rarely (Selecting this answer will make your response invalid to the study)

I've been hunting for a few years now and I think the total number of cases of beer I have seen between all of my friends while on the hunt is about 3. I've never in all those years seen a case of beer get finished over the course of the 3 or 4 day hunt. Most guys I know bring a flask with 4 or 5 ounces of hard liquor, this is certainly not binge drinking, even if they drank it all in one sitting. Most guys have it so they can have a nip on it at night to help stay warm if/when the weather turns nasty.

Even when we take the guns out in wilderness to pop off random shots nobody is ever drunk. Furthermore, you could link a heavy/binge drinker to ANYTHING if you really want to. My bet is they were asking for heavy/binge drinkers to participate in a study and one of the questions was; do you own a firearm? A fair few of those people probably answered yes and some genius decided to use that little bit of data to make up this stupid study.

I call this study horse apples!

-Lightrule

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

Touche'
You sir I believe are correct in that there statement!
Too bad these drunk kids do not see they are shaping their future, especially when their job market future is crap.
They may need a few guns to protect their food.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

I feel exactly where you are coming from.
One exception, They can have my "empty" gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
I cannot forsee ever dying with an loaded gun!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

You been readin too many of tham thar nascar and wrastlin magazines!
/end funny.

Agreed demonized as a yokal, I guess there are worse things to be called ehh?
Like politician, banker, attorney, Etc....scum!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

the linked article is as disappointing as the article that was referenced: injuryprevention.bmj.com...

they don't tell us how the 15K people that were called were chosen (random? income? medina age?? who knows!) nor do they list the eight states where calls were placed.

i've never been to the lovely State of Texas but a lifetime of TV has me thinking most folks there have sidearms and are not afraid of a icy cold beverage. common sense indicates calling TX will result in different answers than if one called a state that is predominantly Mormons, for instance.

either way, it doesn't matter what these turkeys wrote. the USA has millions of folks with guns, shotguns & rifles but the bulk of those people are responsible with their iron. I'll give credit where credit is due: the clowns of Washington DC screw the tax-paying working (and willing to work) person deep and hard all their life. That America doesn't have folks hunting politicians like it's opening day of Deer Season is a huge testimony to self-control. Hats off to you all, you're a lot saner and safer than many give you credit for.

many would not have died if Stalin & Hitler were taken out early on. same thing may be said for many who draw (and drew) their paychecks from the White House. there is an amazing amount of gun control in the USA and that is self-control. whomever wrote that article & did the research should think deeper & wider IMHO.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That is the irony there I guess.
In my youth I had the numerous occasions to do work in Davis.
I hated it as it was and is a very liberal city with draconian laws.
To this day I will not travel through Davis other than on a freeway.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

i am glad the stupid didnt rub off.

and in the immortal words of socrates : " i drank what? and no that aint a gun in my pants"

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

EXCELLENT point you bring up there!!!
I will go directly to one of your threads and flag you as I cannot flag you here.
What about the Mormons?
I would wager their loaded gun to empty beer can ratio is quite low.
Critical thinking there!!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Something else I feel I must add,
Look at your CCW card.
Generally on the civillian issue it will state rules or regs.
One of them is blood alcohol and how it is a nono.
I would imagine alot of gun toting law abiding citizens would see that as a fine trade off.
True security all for the price of simply sobriety.
The study did say it was ....adjusted.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Well, I hope they have to cut my finger off of the trigger. there may be a few rounds in the clip, but the barrel will be too hot to touch....PROMISE!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh help!
I'm suffocating under a pile of university - produced manure!
I'm sure it was a very "scientific" telephone study (who does telephone studies anymore?)
They probably used an AA membership list for the calls.
Or perhaps they just called every member of Congress.
What do they qualify as binge drinking?
There's no statistics or criteria shown,
That;'s not a study, it's Slander.

I don;t drink and haven;t for many years, with the money I saved I started buying firearms.

There was a link in the story to this - sacramento.cbslocal.com...

"Teens see 5 drinks a day as no biggie"
They must the biggest gun buying bunch out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join