It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judiciary chairman: Al Qaeda threat no reason to change gun laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Judiciary chairman: Al Qaeda threat no reason to change gun laws

thehill.com

A top Republican has rejected the notion that Congress should re-examine the nation's gun laws after al Qaeda urged Muslims to attack America by exploiting loose firearm rules.

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said tightening gun laws to address the threat would be to surrender to terrorists at the expense of Americans' rights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
One of the best quotes I've ever read came from Smith

“We've seen time and again that terrorists will use anything, including our own rights and freedoms, to plot attacks against innocent Americans,” Smith said in an email. “But simply because terrorists abuse our liberties doesn't mean that we should limit the rights of law-abiding Americans. On the contrary, to limit our rights is to give in to terrorists and the fear they try to spread.”

I agree wholeheartedly... perceived threat is one thing... but do we really want to change our lives and give up even more of our precious freedoms because of a madman's who lives on the other half of this planet, rants???

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Indeed. This whole notion of having to give up liberty so we can beat barbarians half a world away makes no sense to me either. We've given up so much already in the name of fighting terrorism and the price has already been too high in blood, treasure, and liberty.

No more.
edit on 15-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Logic and reason are traits rarely seen in the congress critters. Nice to see, albeit rare.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It seems to me quite obvious what is going on here.
The CIAquada issues a fake call to arms in an effort to disarm Americans so it is just easier to enforce marshal law when they feel the time is right.

They have already done it here in Australia the crap you have to go through to legally own a firearm is just not worth the effort, the Government even issued an amnesty and reimbursed everyone for their guns.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CouncilOfNine

I think this has more to do with the Dem's panicked about the gunwalker scandal so they throw out these things as a distraction... Thankfully calmer heads have prevailed... at least in this case.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It's nice to see that quote. Benjamin Franklin said something along those lines back in 1775:

en.wikiquote.org...

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

This was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, as published in Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin (1818). ...
Many paraphrased derivatives of this have often become attributed to Franklin:
Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.
Al Quaeda probably didn't even exist then, but this fundamental truth remains the same. Don't give up your liberties for some temporary security or the terrorists win.

I might add the Patriot act was supposed to be temporary but 10 years later they're still extending the thing, it doesn't seem temporary anymore.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I care not about laws concerning any other freedom or liberty. The only thing that I have any concern about is my firearms rights. As long as I have guns I can overthrow and kill any tyrant, king, usurper, ruler or leader who tries to control me.

They can PASS any law rule or regulation concerning confiscating my firearms that they so choose. They must know that not only will I hold the people who come to confiscate my firearms accountable but I will also hold the people who gave the orders of confiscation accountable.

I think it can all be summed up with one phrase.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Come and take them"

When they come for my guns they will be coming for my freedom. They better bring their A game and bring it as hard as they possibly can. I am talking gunship CAS, space lasers, whatever they got they better bring it and they better kill me the first time.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
"As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust. Laws disarming honest citizens proclaim that the government is the master, not the servant, of the people. " jeff snyder

the constant attack on our rights never ends and they never yeild.

those who seek to make me and my neighbors only means of defense a 9-11 call will forever have my contempt

and those people do not deserve my help nor my support and have a place reserved for them in that place called hell.

because the disarming of the public that results in more american deaths than gun have ever caused

that government that has cause more deaths than a honest law biding citizen of this country the great united states ever has.

a government fears me with a gun that speaks loudly and clearly what are they doing that they should be so afraid.

from my cold dead hands and al queda and those who tread on my rights be damned and my god have mercy on your souls because i wont.
edit on 15-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join