It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 more people arrested in Florida for feeding homeless, 15 arrested in the last 2 weeks

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
They are starving the homeless to "support the troops"

In order to generate revenue so you can send disability payments to veterans and pay checks to our military cities need to generate massive revenue.

So having all those homeless laying around hurts tourism and decreases revenue....less money collected which would be handed to the troops for paychecks and veterans for disability checks.

So they are arresting people who feed the homeless to "Support the Troops"

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
No one will listen to me because I don't have a flashy side image or a quote of a famous mouth in my sig. I was homeless for 8 years. Homeless people still, and do use telephone to contact one another, we would usually call or write to state local shelters to contact one another.

THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR FEEDING THE HOMELESS IS BECAUSE WE CALL OUR HOMELESS FRIENDS TO TELL THEM WHERE THE FOOD IS AT.

Florida does not want more homeless people in it's state. Punish the people who feed them, both the homeless and the public will cease to congregate around the homeless. Get it?

link   
No one will listen to me because I don't have a flashy side image or a quote of a famous mouth in my sig. I was homeless for 8 years. Homeless people still, and do use telephone to contact one another, we would usually call or write to state local shelters to contact one another.

THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR FEEDING THE HOMELESS IS BECAUSE WE CALL OUR HOMELESS FRIENDS TO TELL THEM WHERE THE FOOD IS AT.

Florida does not want more homeless people in it's state. Punish the people who feed them, both the homeless and the public will cease to congregate around the homeless. Get it?

link   

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone has set some of you straight yet, but this isn't as bad as people think. People think this means you can't give a bum a sandwich or something. No, that's not the case. What the law says is that if you want to setup a kitchen on the street that will feed more than 25 people, you have to get a PERMIT. That is all.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Too bad. People, homeless or not, need to stop being lazy and work. And if it takes sending someone to jail to send a clear message not to encourage laziness? Fine by me. That's what we need.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

@bandito
It's a shame to let the venison go to waste like that! I have some ideas about what might be done with the meat. I would rather PM you about this rather than hijack the thread, but I don't have PM privileges yet.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by billyjack

If people take care of each other without government assistance they cannot be effectively controlled or directed as the state deems necessary. The state requires dependency on the central government. It has been reported that 39% of the populace is dependent on food stamps for survival. Can anyone think of a better way for the Marxists to control a larger segment of the population?

I’m not though reading all the posts yet (and I will) - but this post need to be re-posted in my opinion.

You can come up with all the nice little reasons you want for why it’s ‘illegal’ to feed transients - but FACTS ARE the post above sums it up in a perfect nutshell. It’s dependency on the Government ‘they’ want, and they’ll get it ANY WAY they can.

peace

edit on 16-6-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
That really is sad.I feed the homeless at times.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
My knee-jerk reaction is just like most everyone here. After emotions are set aside, I have to ask, what is the law, why was it passed? How did such a law get passed, --one stating you can't feed a group of beggars/homeless? Is it just for this POSH part of Orlando or for ALL of Orlando?

We all know that Orlando DEPENDS on tourist dollars to thrive and survive, right? If tourists visit and see a bunch of homeless, then they won't be likely to return... which means LESS TOURIST DOLLARS PUMPED INTO THE LOCAL ECONOMY. Which means PEOPLE LOSE JOBS.

So, while the "don't feed the homeless" law seems inhumane, it seems to be in place to ensure that tourists keep coming back. In other words, homeless beggars will keep MONEY-SPENDING tourists from returning as often as Orlando NEEDS THEM TO RETURN. If tourists don't return, then hard-working people lose jobs. By encouraging homeless beggars, people might be destroying the local economy?

I'm trying to see it from the city coucil view. But, it's hard to say whether or not feeding the homeless around resort areas will keep tourists from visiting.

HERE IS A QUESTION: If, while visiting on vacation, a large group of homeless surrounded your VACATION, would you be more or less likely to return to Orlando for another vacation? It's tough to answer.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
My knee-jerk reaction is just like most everyone here. After emotions are set aside, I have to ask, what is the law, why was it passed? How did such a law get passed, --one stating you can't feed a group of beggars/homeless? Is it just for this POSH part of Orlando or for ALL of Orlando?

We all know that Orlando DEPENDS on tourist dollars to thrive and survive, right? If tourists visit and see a bunch of homeless, then they won't be likely to return... which means LESS TOURIST DOLLARS PUMPED INTO THE LOCAL ECONOMY. Which means PEOPLE LOSE JOBS.

So, while the "don't feed the homeless" law seems inhumane, it seems to be in place to ensure that tourists keep coming back. In other words, homeless beggars will keep MONEY-SPENDING tourists from returning as often as Orlando NEEDS THEM TO RETURN. If tourists don't return, then hard-working people lose jobs. By encouraging homeless beggars, people might be destroying the local economy?

I'm trying to see it from the city coucil view. But, it's hard to say whether or not feeding the homeless around resort areas will keep tourists from visiting.

HERE IS A QUESTION: If, while visiting on vacation, a large group of homeless surrounded your VACATION, would you be more or less likely to return to Orlando for another vacation? It's tough to answer.

I don't think it should matter one way or another. It's no different than helping Haiti victims. We should be able to help our own people without the fear of being arrested over something so petty. I use to live in Orlando. Glad I left.
edit on 16-6-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
Too bad. People, homeless or not, need to stop being lazy and work. And if it takes sending someone to jail to send a clear message not to encourage laziness? Fine by me. That's what we need.

Ill remember that when you are a bum, ill just spit on you or something like you do to them.

You my friend have a values disorder

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Now that I have read all the posts?

Open your eyes people. Feeding the homeless is not illegal. These 'protesters' were looking for attention. Ask yourself - how sick is that - using homeless and hungry people to get attention for your agenda?

In my opinion that does everyone involved way more harm than good, but, instead of me re-writing what’s been already said far to well I’ll quote:

Esdad71: This law has been on the books since 07 and it does not restrict feeding the homeless but what it does not want is you to create a soup kitchen on private property. You cannot have more than 25, including service people, or you can be fined/arrested. This is not about feeding the homeless but protesting. Bottom line. Apply for a permit and you can feed them. twice per year. So, if you have 6 people you can do it once a month. if you had 180 people, by law, you could do it everyday. If you apply there is no legal reason for them to decline it and if they did you would then have an argument and a case. If you want to help the homeless, do it in a legal fashion and do not just protest

I suggest you read the whole post: Here

Byeluvolk: This story being presented in this light is only an attempt to incite the masses; there is nothing to be gained from fighting this law. If you want to help the homeless then do so, just do so within the bounds of the law.

I suggest you read the post in full also on page 4. And welcome to ATS Byeluvolk

People - if you want to really HELP others - do it within the system - beat them at their own game!

peace

edit on 16-6-2011 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is disturbing that a laws like like exist the same type of law was passed in Hawaii by Governor Neil Ambercrombie. Both my father and older brother believe these laws are right saying that if the homeless do not pay taxes they do not deserve to use the public park restrooms, etc. We live in a police controlled state and I am horribly disturbed that I, at 18, understand this and my father and 20 year old brother don't. Degrading human beings into who pays taxes and who doesn't is NOT right.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Where are these homeless people exactly..? I want to order them a couple pizzas no bs.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

While on vacation in Chicago, we ate at a BK with a patio down by the loop.

After we were done, threw our garbage out and an obviously down on his times gentleman, ran over, reached in and started looking for scraps.

We told him to stop and asked him to wait a second, I ran in and bought him a value meal.

It was not a large group, however, yes I would and have returned back to that vacation spot.

Hopefully, if I was to ever find myself so out of options that I needed to scavenge garbage to eat, someone would stop me and hook me up with a more proper meal (not that any fastfood isn't too far up the spectrum from garbage)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

It's nobody's business if I choose to help someone out in need. It's my choice, what I decide to give. Why is it okay to donate to charity and not to the direct subject; the person in need? Once, a long time ago when I was in my twenties, I was driving through the cities and came to a stop at the exit ramp to the freeway to get home, and there was this little, scrawny guy holding up a sign stating, "Will work for food or wages!" I rolled down my car window, thinking how lucky I was cuz I was driving a big Chevy Surburban with my darling angel son in the carseat in back, and said, "Hi, here's my husband's business card, he does construction, give him a call." I think I also gave him a five dollar bill, which kind of was a lot to me back in my twenties. He did call, my ex gave him a job and he actually lived out of our topper camper in our driveway in West Saint Paul, which was a huge no-no with zoning. The zoning inspector constantly was on our case; too many cars, trucks parked on the street, etc. Really? You can go to bed at night with that job? Policing your fellow neighbors, policing their lives?

I brought this homeless guy home for Thanksgiving and my big brothers were oh, so offended cuz they were grossed out by his "teeth" or lack thereof. Funny that, cuz they were both close to becoming toothless druggie ex-cons at the time, and heck, they eventually got there, but I loved them just the same. Hilarious that the childhood home I brought him to was nothin' but a little crappy shack on the lake. He probably had high hopes it'd be a mansion, or maybe not, but my biggest brother Jimmy declared, "I couldn't even eat my mashed potatoes cuz his mouth was so gross." Ha, ha. Anyway, they all thought I was nuts and didn't believe his sad, sorry tale of losing his wife and daughter in a car wreck. He was originally a trucker and ended up in MN, from a hiccup in his life I believe, due to alcoholism. So, maybe his story wasn't true, maybe it was but that's besides the point, he was a fellow human being in need and I extended a helping hand. Would someone do the same for me? And I still remember his name and I would bet he remembers me.
edit on 16-6-2011 by queenofsheba because: add line

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
GrrrRRRRRRRAHHHHHH what the F@%#'s wrong with people??

Don't feed the homeless!Like they're animals or something!

They don't want people helping out the homeless because it would ruin their whole "order through chaos" agenda!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget

Can you or any one explain to me what purpose this law serves?
I must be missing something!

My guess is something along the lines of it being for the "safety" of the homeless people. Your not a vendor or not collecting taxes on that food and the city is losing money. Back to the safety BS part...since you don't have a license that means you could give them tainted food and harm them and they wouldn't have any idea who to blame, because every day unless major corporations cause it slowly and painfully require that another human being do time in our privatized prison system.

The above is my honest view of how the city would justify this just like they do most every other petty ordinance that they can enforce. These new ordinances/laws/orders or whatever seem to be placed because the people aren't committing enough offenses and paying fines but if they just keep on adding more petty BS laws, your bound to trip up.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner

I'm listening now...you sound intelligent to me and like a person who probably has great life experience. Florida, well I get to go there again to visit my in-laws in July and let me tell ya, I sure love that ocean and white glorious sands of the beaches and seashells. As much as I love the exterior beauty of Florida that hits you at first sight, when I stop and look, really look for a minute and see, I see the truth.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join