It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Sued By Organic Farmers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Monsanto Sued By Organic Farmers Who Don't Want To Be Accused Of Patent Infringement

Monsanto's incredibly overaggressive use of patents to corner the market on certain crops and to bully farmers has been well-documented over the years. Some of the really crazy stories involve Monsanto accusing farmers of patent infringement, because some of its "patented" seeds were used by neighboring farms, and the newly grown seeds were blown onto the neighboring property by wind, where they grew new plants. Now, a group of organic farmers fearful of being hit with similar threats and/or lawsuits have preemptively sued Monsanto asking for a declaratory judgment that they don't infringe, while also seeking to invalidate the patents.

[url=http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110330/04055413695/monsanto-sued-organic-farmers-who-dont-want-to-be-accused-patent-infringement.shtml]Source[ /url]

I never really understood how Monsanto was able to sue farmers for patent infringement and win. Monsanto contaminates their fields, then trespasses onto their land taking samples, and sue because they claim there that there are GMO plants growing there, which they own. I guess it is true in today's law system, whoever puts down the most cash and tells the biggest lies can win any lawsuit.

Humm link isn't showing up above, try this one

www.techdirt.com...
edit on 14-6-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

I am all with you on this. Long story short, both my sister and I had children at a very early age diagnosed with cancer. It has awakend us and our families to the attack on our food. If it is not deliberate, than it is totally misguided and wrong. Someday the obvious will be too open to ignore. For many it is....for most...

The reason Monsanto can get away with this is that they are in control financially, which leads to politically protection. Laws are enacted in their favor and walla! Ice cream with a cherry on top. And sprinkles.

CJ
edit on 14-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Nice, happy that they are taking action. Maybe if enough exposure and action is taken from the suit things may change. Otherwise we'll see the death, already close to, small farms and even organic farms.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Agreed. Nice to see you up and around on this Tuesday AM.

CJ

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Food Inc. delved into it a little but Mosanto is definitely evil...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I could write a whole diatribe regarding this but basically it all sums up to one word.

Good.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Nice, happy that they are taking action. Maybe if enough exposure and action is taken from the suit things may change. Otherwise we'll see the death, already close to, small farms and even organic farms.

It would be a good idea if this was made as public as possible to garner public interest.
Where are a million men when you need them? Maybe they should start a FB page. If it can get Betty White a job who is to say it can't help organic farmers? The trick is to spotlight the cause when people are ready to embrace it.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Talk about David going up against Goliath!

I hope that this grassroots (pardon the pun) group can get a leg up on this bloated beast of a corporation.

Between the deceptive reports on the safety of their products, the strong-arm tactics used on farmers in foreign countries and within our own, the buying up of all the seed-cleaners, the buying up and absorption of small seed-producing companies, the buying of their own military force (FGS!) to the revolving door between them and the gov't they are a formidable force to reckon with.

May it only take one small, smooth stone---carefully aimed.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
first they take all our money
now take over our food great!!
evryone get in a line
awesome

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Someone posted that the attacks on farmers/food aren't/weren't deliberate. Maybe not *at first.* Now, and for the past decade or two, VERY DELIBERATE. In fact, even health food stores are being attacked by DEA and ATF agents in full battle-rattle. These guys storm a HEALTH FOOD STORE like it's a drug operation with heavily armed drug-crazed militants guarding the place.

So, there you have customers who are health conscious along with the owers/operators/managers/workers who are somewhat health conscious, or at least a "health-minded" crowd. And boom. Heavy boots stomping. Guys in full body armor screaming. Weapons HOT and ready to fire at the essentially harmless (and now quite scared) crowd. It's a shame. It's a darn shame.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm just wondering when are they going to ban us from growing our own small fruits and veggies in our gardens.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This simply takes the eyes off of what they are doing in the poor S. American countries right now, cant protect them from the toxic poisoning, and they cant sue either.

This will amount to less than a hill of GMO beans...

Also it will be something to keep an eye on as this goes to court. Support this movement by purchasing only non GMO/ Hybridized seed.

One more thing is that it does not have to be the seed that flys over into others land, it is the pollen that contaminates.
edit on 14-6-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0

Monsanto Sued By Organic Farmers Who Don't Want To Be Accused Of Patent Infringement

Monsanto's incredibly overaggressive use of patents to corner the market on certain crops and to bully farmers has been well-documented over the years. Some of the really crazy stories involve Monsanto accusing farmers of patent infringement, because some of its "patented" seeds were used by neighboring farms, and the newly grown seeds were blown onto the neighboring property by wind, where they grew new plants. Now, a group of organic farmers fearful of being hit with similar threats and/or lawsuits have preemptively sued Monsanto asking for a declaratory judgment that they don't infringe, while also seeking to invalidate the patents.

[url=http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110330/04055413695/monsanto-sued-organic-farmers-who-dont-want-to-be-accused-patent-infringement.shtml]Source[ /url]

I never really understood how Monsanto was able to sue farmers for patent infringement and win. Monsanto contaminates their fields, then trespasses onto their land taking samples, and sue because they claim there that there are GMO plants growing there, which they own. I guess it is true in today's law system, whoever puts down the most cash and tells the biggest lies can win any lawsuit.

Humm link isn't showing up above, try this one

www.techdirt.com...
edit on 14-6-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)
Finally some good news,I hope they sue them right out of business,well at least win their suit.As long as we keep fighting them we will win this war for clean organic food.....,I wonder though if the people of Monsanto eat their own gmo's?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

monsanto sueing farmers for thier seed winding up in a feild is stupid, the seeds are part of their company and are entering a feild without permmission from the farmer, so it may as well be tresspassing in the fields. im glad monsanto is being sued

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

I can't believe this has only gotten a few replies! This is awesome!

I have never understood how any court could determine a farmer had "infringed" upon a patent because of an "act of God" (wind blowing pollen). The only explanation I can come up with that contains any logic is that some judges can be bought. Ya think?

The love of money IS the root of all evil.
edit on 6/15/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

top topics

join