It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An atheist parent

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TylerDurden2U

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U
reply to post by Annee

tell your children the truth, wouldnt that be easy.

Well, I sure as hell will...but I'll do it in a way that allows them to make up their own minds.

i have my kids in a private christian school, and yes the questions will come.

Well, depending on how fundamentalist the school is, they might have some pretty legit questions like:
"Why is the teacher saying the world is only 6000 years old?"
or
"Why is the teacher speaking nonsense words?"

i cant imagine going back to a world with no God in it.

Are you that attached to an idea? I'm more attached to my 'reality' conforming as closely as possible to what's actually there.

i wish you knew what i know.

Share it.
What do you believe and why?
Where is your supporting evidence for the above?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

To be an atheist does not mean you inherently have to disagree with ALL of the ethical and moral teaching of the the abrahamic religions (Christianity for one), but i would reccommend more modern sources for such a search for "truth" or ethical and moral grounding.

Perhaps you could offer them books for their birthdays that offer some pleasant reasonning, and touch very deeply on matters concerning ethics and morality; I reccomend Orwell!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and situation.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
my mother was raised catholic, white linen, proper the whole bit. she left the catholic church when us kids(3) were toddlers. she tried the assembly of god, a few others, and then baptist when we moved to florida. she was happier in a bible thumping church, but no tamberines. i was raised in church and when i turned 21, i was disgusted with the politics of it. it was not what i was taught as a child. i thought this is useless! why should i live by these rules, when no one else does? i prayed one last time, and said i will forget all of this, i didnt choose it, and asked god to let me go. if later down the road, someone preached to me, and it made sense, i then would choose to follow, or continue my own path. 20 years later, out of the blue, i felt God whisper in my ear. late one night, he said you would be moved by january 1st. I told my wife about this, and let it go. a few weeks later, i was reminded in much the same manner. we decided to develop some property we had @ the gulf of mexico, and move there. as time went on we had road blocks that slowed things to a stop. it was now december, and i was now getting sick to my stomach over this instruction that i was not following. this entire time, i am not praying or religous, or even reading the bible, nothing! december 31st, my wife informed me we were going to the movies, with her bff and husband. we went to a small church that showed Fireproof. it was an ok movie. the next day i woke up diferent. not a choice but like a thirst in the middle of the night that you cant quench, type of thirst. i started reading the bible, books, looking for preachers on tv, that preached on what ive read. for 20 years i, had never reached succsess in business, marriage, or fatherhood like the peace i have now. the bible i read as a child was a different book, than what i read now. it spoke to me and my heart. There is no proof of anything, if you want to prove something wrong. but the relationship that i have with my Jesus and god is a private one between us, and i feel the love much the same that i have for my toddlers. that cant be reproduced! it is genuine, and if you want what i have, ask for it. i am blessed that he came to me. maybe he chose me so that i can tell you?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U
i was disgusted with the politics of it. it was not what i was taught as a child. i thought this is useless! why should i live by these rules, when no one else does? i prayed one last time, and said i will forget all of this, i didnt choose it, and asked god to let me go.

I'm not a big fan of using anger against God or church - - to justify becoming Atheist.

Many Atheists find there way to lack of belief in searching for God.

If you are now happy and content - - then you are doing what is right for you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join