It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should i go through the airport body scanners?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
In a few weeks, i will be flying from BWI in Baltimore, MD to Orlando, FL for vacation and FBLA Nationals. BWI recently installed more body scanners and is now their "primary" method of screening. So, the chances of me getting pulled aside for the scanner are high, and i want to have a plan set aside ahead of time, so i know what to do if i am pulled aside.

I am reluctant to go through the body scanners after seeing research that they might be even more harmful than flights since the radiation is centered on the skin, it could significantly increase the risk for cancer. There have also been other reports, that it has harmful effects to DNA as well as some saying it could cause sperm mutations.

As of right now, i am considering getting a pat-down. Considering i walk around the house naked sometimes (i have no shame lol) and am proud of my manhood, if you catch my drift, the pat-down won't really bother me very much. What i am worried about is being viewed as a terrorist or something and being pulled into another room for more questioning, possibly resulting in me missing my flight.

My parents are pushing me to go through the scanners to save time, but being 18, i have the final say. What do you think? Should I (or anybody) go through the body scanners? And have you had any experience with these machines?
edit on 12-6-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Edit: double post, my bad!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If you don't want to then don't...you just have to be ok with a lil' groping. I have flown 8-9 times so far this year and I haven't opted out (maybe I should) but I have seen people opt out and it normally isn't a big deal nothing more than a good groping. My best advice is to fly early like 4am early but in any case make sure you give a lil moan if your a guy to the guy patting you down and same if your a chick to the chick patting you down. If your gonna be uncomfortable I think they should be too...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Make it uncomfortable for them.. yell, "this man is touching me"!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Ok, thanks
Yeah, i just have an awkward mental image of being pat-down and the TSA agent saying "Is that a cucumber in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?" lol

Originally posted by RickyD
If you don't want to then don't...you just have to be ok with a lil' groping. I have flown 8-9 times so far this year and I haven't opted out (maybe I should) but I have seen people opt out and it normally isn't a big deal nothing more than a good groping. My best advice is to fly early like 4am early but in any case make sure you give a lil moan if your a guy to the guy patting you down and same if your a chick to the chick patting you down. If your gonna be uncomfortable I think they should be too...

Have you gone through the scanners each time?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
For me it's not about the radiation it's about the intrusion of privacy.

Obviously that's not a concern of yours so do what you have to.

I quit flying because of the practices of the TSA and refuse to do so again.

Seems most Americans don't care anymore and do what their told.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Or smuggle a little box of chocolates with a note that says, "to the love of my life, TSA"

When he finds it, give him a wink and move on.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
Or smuggle a little box of chocolates with a note that says, "to the love of my life, TSA"

Should i stick it down my pants???

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Don't go through the scanners.
But, be prepared. Strap that summer sausage on, but have it resting in the SEAT of your pants. That, and a ziploc bag of water up front, and your good to go.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Terahertz waves unzip DNA.

www.technologyreview.com...

The evidence that terahertz radiation damages biological systems is mixed. "Some studies reported significant genetic damage while others, although similar, showed none," say Boian Alexandrov at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico and a few buddies.

From (clears throat) Wiki....
en.wikipedia.org...

Contrary to X-rays, terahertz radiation has a relatively low photon energy for damaging tissues and DNA. Some frequencies of terahertz radiation can penetrate several millimeters of tissue with low water content (e.g. fatty tissue) and reflect back.

I'd drive if I were you... even over water if necessary!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky

Should i stick it down my pants???

Do you have to ask?!

Of course!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Terahertz waves unzip DNA.

www.technologyreview.com...

That's exactly why i'd opt out.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Do not go through the naked body scanners.

If you want your airport experience to be 100% hassle free, wear full blown Muslim garb, including Burkha.

They will wave you right through, no hands down the pants either.

That is the world we live in America, if you "look like" a Terrorist, it is too PC to stop you.

Instead, TSA concerns itself with elderly, handicapped, children, and of course...hot chicks.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What if i made sex noises to make the TSA agent uncomfortable?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

not a good idea, I'm pretty sure there's not a high tolerance to humor...

Don't forget, once they get you back there, if you try to leave (as in, leave the airport), $10,000 fine.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
my advice:
Don't fly, take the bus
or drive.

if you must fly:
Do not use the scanners,
too much radiation on your
body.

only thing left is pat down:
u know the drill,
bend over and spread'em

thank you for flying Gestapo Airways

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
There has been a lot of information exposed as to the alleged safety of the devices over the past few months. recently a letter signed by five physics professors from the University of California, San Francisco and Arizona State University revealed several cover-ups; most importantly:

- “The dose rates of X-rays being emitted by the Rapidscan machines are actually quite high -- comparable to that of CT scans, say the professors. Yes, the dose duration is significantly lower than a CT scan, but the dose intensity is much higher than what you might think. And as anyone who knows a bit about physics and biology will tell you, the real danger from radiation is a high-intensity, short-duration exposure. That's exactly what the TSA's backscatter machines produce.”

- Peter Rez, the physics professor from Arizona State, says that the high-quality images described by the TSA could not be produced with the low levels of radiation being claimed by the TSA. The images, in other words, don't match up with the TSA's story. Rez estimates the actual radiation exposure is 45 times higher than what we've previously been told.

As the professors state in their letter, none of the Rapidscan tests have been available to peer review. They are and quite literally secret tests using secret techniques engineered by secret researchers. The public apparently has no right to see the data, nor the methodology, nor even the names of the researchers who supposedly carried out these safety tests.

The final testing report produced from this fabricated testing scenario has been so heavily redacted that "there is no way to repeat any of these measurements," say the professors. In other words, the testing violates the very first tenant of scientific experimentation which is that all experiments must be repeatable in order to be verified as accurate.

There’s a lot of other disconcerting information about the machines from various sources. Personally, I wouldn’t even stand next to those devices let alone enter one.

s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeBrew

I have every intention of opting out but my big worry is being harassed because of it and missing my flight. It's a 7:30AM flight on a Sunday and we plan on getting to the airport 2 hours early, if that helps.

I'm at the TSA's mercy and unfortunately no other realistic options to travel, even a train ride would be 18 hours long and my parents are dead set against it. I haven't told them I'll be opting out (they'd be against it) but being of legal age, it's my choice.
edit on 13-6-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Don’t worry about missing your flight. It doesn’t take any more time to go through a pat-down then to go through the radiation chamber.

They won’t harass you persay, unless you consider the pat-down harassment – what they would most likely do is try to embarrass you by loudly exclaiming, “We have an opt out!” while they point fingers at you. Big deal. Opting out should be something to be proud of. It means you are informed rather than a clueless lemming waddling through like everyone else. Simply get your pat-down right there in public view and move on. If they offer to do it in private, a simple “no thanks” is all it takes.

Don’t let the FTA intimidate you. They want you to be afraid of their authority (like your parents). It makes them feel important.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Personally, I would go through the scanners. You are only in there for seconds at the most....Even if the radiation
emitted is higher than that of a CT scan, a CT scan is going to take minutes and several depending on what type of test you are having run. It's not like your gonna hang out in the scanner.

Save yourself the worry and hassle. Do the scanner.

Pax

top topics

<<   2 >>

join