It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Dark Ages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
My prediction. If we don't change our current path.

Mega-Corporations will create there own armies, and enact all the current day fears of Marshall law. Nation-States will give way to Corporate regions. Wars will be fought by corporations over resources. Many people that have no contribution to these corporations will be disposed of, think Nazi's X 1,000,000.

History is cyclical, only this time technology is tremendous, meaning much easier to get rid of large numbers of people without much $. I fear the worst.

(having a fear-monger day) hope you don't mind.

EDIT: To me this is an intriguing line of thought. May not be close to reality. But still worth considering.
edit on 11-6-2011 by no time because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Corporations dont even phase me a bit. We need to look at our whole race as a group. We have been here for a while and we havent advanced much as a race. Sure we have Technology, Weapons Of Mass Destruction and can even space travel to an extent but were dumb. We bicker over oil and Religious beliefs. And we cant even get along, We are killing our own Planet and our own conflicts may even lead us to extinction.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
First, I just have to say that I hope I end up in the Miller Lite Region

I am, however, curious as to your thoughts on if this were to happen what the purpose of corporations fighting wars for resources would be. I'm assuming based on your post that we are all somewhat slaves to our corporation masters at that point so is this purely a resources to continue survival type of thing?

The corporations are the issues for me here. They really wouldn't be corporations anymore, right? Nothing to sell, money wouldn't mean anything....

Just curious on your thoughts!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by no time

It's a good story line for fiction.

...at the very least...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TSearchX

My thoughts are the mega-corporations would only be concerned about protecting their market share and resources. Anyone outside of that realm is either removed, or put in work camps to further said corporation's geopolitical agenda.

To make an example. -

SAMPLE MEGA CORP - They produce power, other corporations in that region will have to PAY this corporation in order to do anything. This will end in price gouging power distribution . Problem is, other corporations won't agree and what starts with serious talks about the issue will turn to bloodshed. Etc. I mean some corporations now have more cashflow than some nation-states. Its only a matter of time before their agendas start to become a real burden to society.

EDIT: I am not saying there wouldn't be consumers, I am only saying those without enough money or skills to earn enough money to benefit the corporations would be sent to work camps or killed.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What's to stop people from creating their own corporations in retaliation to the "mega" ones?

Your premise would have to rely on the people remaining passive.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
What's to stop people from creating their own corporations in retaliation to the "mega" ones?

Your premise would have to rely on the people remaining passive.

Just starting a corporation does not give you the assets at your disposal to do anything. These corporations have been gathering infrastructure and assets for 100+ years. You would only be able to start a corporation if it benefited them for you to do so.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by no time
My prediction. If we don't change our current path.

Mega-Corporations will create there own armies, and enact all the current day fears of Marshall law. Nation-States will give way to Corporate regions. Wars will be fought by corporations over resources. Many people that have no contribution to these corporations will be disposed of, think Nazi's X 1,000,000.

History is cyclical, only this time technology is tremendous, meaning much easier to get rid of large numbers of people without much $. I fear the worst.

(having a fear-monger day) hope you don't mind.

There is of course a silver lining in that big dark cloud..............
No electricity, no technology.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by no time

Corporations only thrive if people buy what they are selling. People can put hurt on corporations just by using their wallets. Corporations answer to a board of directors. They don't make a profit?

They are out!

(not trying to troll, just clarifying.
)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Agreed which is why GE would be at the very tip top of this whole scenario. Other corporrations would have to pay GE in order to even be in business, meaning Ge would have total control over who was in business and who wasn't. This would sit very well with many people, and Ge would build their "defenses" to protect their infrastructure. Then after becoming very powerful, they would become Preemptive in their defense. (just an example) I am sure a corporatacracy would be very complicated politically.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by no time

Corporations only thrive if people buy what they are selling. People can put hurt on corporations just by using their wallets. Corporations answer to a board of directors. They don't make a profit?

They are out!

(not trying to troll, just clarifying.
)

Think of regional monopolies on energy, some things you have a choice, others you do not. If your NEEDS can only be met through a corporations interests, then it no longer becomes a decision of yours.

EDIT: I started this thread because it was always a thought that entered my head when reading all about the Jekyll Island stuff. 5 banks able to change the course of the greatest nation on earth with $, and a plan.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by no time

Thanks for responding.

It is an interesting theory, but I think it would be more likely that we would have the 1%'ers banding together to try and run everything. I just don't think the corporations would be able to do it. Corporations typically have boards of directors, many people heading it up.

I understand that the argument could be made that at this point in your theory there would be no need for a board, maybe just a CEO, but I am interested in how you think the corporations would end up handling that power. They wouldn't have stockholders to please, nobody to answer to except the other corporations. What is your opinion on the structure?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
My guess is the structure would be based entirely on the need of the corporation to remain in power.

It would start out as defensive maneuvers as corporations gained more power and influence and end in aggressive behavior in order to retain power.

EDIT: Oh and I am so in the bud light region, does that make us enemies?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by no time

Sorry, I think my question wasn't very specific. I was more interesting in how you would think the corporations would be structured. For example, is there a dictator in each region? Just a CEO? Is there still a board?

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by no time

You mnention GE. In the past, GE tried to put a monopoly on medical equipment. Specifically patient monitors. They were cheap, hospitals loved them, until they broke repeatedly. That opened the door for others, GE medical systems almost went bankrupt as a result.
Monopolies work, IF there is no competition and no threat of competition. Perception is key. If it is perceived that they have total control, then they will. But as long as people want more, think, and are entrepenurial (sp?) then true monopolies will always be under threat of the little guy.
Your tag shows you to be a small business owner. Surely, you've developed business plans against larger entities.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Energy. Wind farms, solar farms, geo-thermal centers.
Still oppourtunities out there.

Glass half full tonite.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TSearchX

Don't think the structure matters, tbh. Even if you are on the board of one of these mega-corporations, your ability to go against the President/CEO/Director would be limited to how much you valued your life. Corporations are not a good example of democracy.

I do think there would be BOD, CEO's, Strategic planners etc. Corporations would begin to take on the appearance of Dictatorships.

EDIT: Im gonna end this discussion. At least for me, must be too boring for ats. I starred all the responses. I really appreciate you guys humoring me. Apparently, this is not something people worry about. Must be a phobia for me then. lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
WAL MART comes to mind.the buying power they have is the key how many mom and pop business have fallen to them how many small towns have lost their main street business due to wally world? i had a small business selling stun guns an pepper sprays ect..wal marts prices on simular items were cheaper than i could buy wholesale..

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TSearchX
reply to post by no time

Thanks for responding.

It is an interesting theory, but I think it would be more likely that we would have the 1%'ers banding together to try and run everything. I just don't think the corporations would be able to do it. Corporations typically have boards of directors, many people heading it up.

I understand that the argument could be made that at this point in your theory there would be no need for a board, maybe just a CEO, but I am interested in how you think the corporations would end up handling that power. They wouldn't have stockholders to please, nobody to answer to except the other corporations. What is your opinion on the structure?

Just thought I would throw in here that the 1% ers own most corporations that are even approaching the size where this "theory" could become reality.

new topics

top topics

join