It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Officials Worried Over Drop in "Chatter"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Much like the slowdown in "chatter" before 9/11, officials are now worried about another drop in "chatter". Officials claim that "chatter" continued after the arrest of al Qaeda suspect, Muhammed Naeem Noor Khan, but has since slowed down in recent days.

www.cnn.com
(CNN) -- A drop in so-called "chatter" among suspected terrorists is troubling some counterterrorism officials, who noticed a reduction in intercepted communications before the terror attacks of September 11, 2001, government sources said.

Diminished communication prompted the concern because the counterterror experts don't know why suspected terrorists would be talking less. But they noted that similar reductions have happened several other times during the past few years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many arrests since the last several days has produced thousands of leads to terrorists and their possible activities. The FBI and other agencies have been trying to track several phone numbers and email addresses of possible terrorists.

Al Hindi, a man allegedly helping with terrorist activities, has been reported placed in 3 of the buildings that were cased, including the NYSE and the Citigroup building.

[edit on 8-7-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It will happen when it happens. These guys are smart enough to pull off 9/11 they can certainly mislead the poor showing from US intelligence so far. Im sure they will give every indication something is going to happen and then it wont. The time to worry about is when they aren't acting like anything is imminent.

- Was

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
you are absolutely right

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What do they mean "counterintelligence officials are mystified about the reason"??

wireservice.wired.com...

Summary: the first high-level al-Qaeda mole was COMPROMISED by some kind of titanic screwup by US officials.

If this is true this is a CATASTROPHIC BLUNDER.

This guy was a computer expert and the communications engineer---exactly the PERFECT person you want as an insider source. Al-Qaeda is stupendously difficult to penetrate.

So why the drop-off in chatter?

BECAUSE AL-QAEDA CHANGED THEIR CODES AND CHANNELS AFTER HE WAS OUTED.

So we've lost our electronic sources and the only important human source.

WHy? PRobably because people were complaining about the political "terror alert" and somebody wanted to justify it.

If this is all true, we are now Officially Screwed.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by mbkennel]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
In Vietnam, when it would get quiet for a few nights straight, it was a good sign something big was going to happen.

BECAUSE AL-QAEDA CHANGED THEIR CODES AND CHANNELS AFTER HE [the engineer] WAS OUTED

Kennel might be right about this and I think this is the preferable condition. That we have temporarily lost track of the chatter rather than the chatter has stopped because the plan is set.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The silence is on all channels, it is confirmed.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
We freak out when they are chattering, we freak out when they aren't. Man, don't you all have a clue yet, nothing is going to happen.

You want to know when something is going to happen, its when we stop being afraid of something happening.

All these warnings and signs of terror only serve one goal, yes, to terrorize and instill fear. I'm not speaking directly to you, but to everyone who is fearful of an attack, you are fearful and you have played into their hands.

Whats the point of terrorizing people when they are already terrorized.

All these dumb terror warnings and freakout news parties are getting out of hand.

Even if you think of it on a "fearfully rationale" level, what are you going to do about it. People will say, oh, we have to have knowledge of an impending terror attack. Why, are we ultimately in control of everything around us. Tell me then, can you get rid of those clouds outside.

Let the officials worry all they want, I'd like to think we are smart enough to be observant if something were really happening in our backyards.

But I guess thats not enough for these "officials," no, you must be paranoid and fearful of anything new and be wary of going outdoors, for there may be a terrorist.

Have fun with your fairytale news.

Note: I'm not speaking specifically to you all, just venting at all these terror warnings and signs that mass media likes to feed us.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
They act remarkably like Children...

They're noisy so you know they're okay... but once the silence starts you know their doing something bad.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Yawn. Another day, another terrorist alert. I think Ill have a beer and go for a walk.

Im getting rather bored by these constant terror warnings, they are really irritating. They cahtter, we freak, they dont chatter, we freak. Constant freaking. Over what? nothing really. They hit, they hit, oh well, because the govornment really wants something to happen, i think.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The news piece says that there has been numerous times before that the chatter has quited down and nothing happened. In the article, for the extra terror, they add, "drop in intercepted communication also noticed before 9/11." They add the reference to 9/11 to get the maximum scare factor going in the news readers.

In my opinion, there will be a terror attack of some type to benefit this war on terrorism concept of the current U.S Government regime. It will occur soon, before the elections.

I see in the news a constant reinforcement of an imminent terror threat, and it is building up to the actual physical terror attack. Here comes Reichstag Fire number 2.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
They add the reference to 9/11 to get the maximum scare factor going in the news readers.

In my opinion, there will be a terror attack of some type to benefit this war on terrorism concept of the current U.S Government regime. It will occur soon, before the elections.

I see in the news a constant reinforcement of an imminent terror threat, and it is building up to the actual physical terror attack. Here comes Reichstag Fire number 2.

Could it actually be possible that the government is just giving as much information as possible even if it is just terrorists bluffing, in case one of those chatter the government agencies pick is a real threat and an attack occurs?...........Does it always have to be some conspiracy from the US to have people under control ?........Geez.

Were you one of those people saying the government was involved in 9/11 because they didn't warn you, with the rest of the public about the chatter of threats before 9/11 immortal?....

----edited to correct spelling and grammar----

[edit on 8-8-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I must say guys... i've been browsing alot of Jihadist forums and reading messages and there seems to have been no change whatsoever in the levels of communications.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
its interesting that the chatter has dropped again. could be like 9/11 or could just be many terooist are getting got so terrosist are temporary going into hiding

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I must say guys... i've been browsing alot of Jihadist forums and reading messages and there seems to have been no change whatsoever in the levels of communications.

As the article said the chatter between terror suspects has decreased, nothing about internet forums.

But could somebody please connect all terror alert threads and replace the title with "Same procedure as every year[attention: boring]" ?

Sometimes I miss the time we cared about important news. Just think about it - on 10 terror news with approx. 20 dead people you see one news from e.g. middle america where 400 people died by fire in a mall. Or the flood catastrophe in Bangladesh. But nobody cares or knows and it isn't discussed and tracked furthermore.
And then, this terror boringO which is just unimportant, well, that's covered most

[edit on 8-8-2004 by shoo]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
1.) Could it actually be possible that the government is just giving as much information as possible even if it is just terrorists bluffing, in case one of those chatter the government agencies pick is a real threat and an attack occurs?
2.) Were you one of those people saying the government was involved in 9/11 because they didn't warn you, with the rest of the public about the chatter of threats before 9/11 immortal?....
1.) It's possible and it's always good to know beforehand.

2.) Not only that, but because of a lot of other issues as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm just not very convinced that the terrorists are so simplistic that we can work out such a simple way of predicting an attack. Patterns of chatter and/or non-chatter likely have some significance in conjunction with other dots that need to be connected. It's good that we are paying some attention, but freaking out will get us no where fast. Worry only serves to exhaust us emotionally and mentally, so we are less able to function when something actually does happen.

I like the sound bite I heard earlier of Kerry saying that instead of a color code, the citizenship needs to develop some kind of localized pesponse system like we have for natural disasters. We need to be ready to help each other out once something does happen. Households need to have a plan to find each other if an attack occurs, separating people who really need to be together. But... I don't know how that would work if the crisis is in the middle of those separated.

Perhaps I'm fortunate in that there are people I would miss hearing from, but no one at all that I'd be desperate to track down immediately. Just don't split me away from my pets!!!

top topics

join