It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MILK: half gallon vs whole gallon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
ok...

went to walmart yesterday. actually looked at milk prices. a half gallon costs $2.76...and a whole gallon costs $3.08. why in the hell is there such a little difference? i mean...a half gallon of orange juice doesn't cost 30 cents less than a gallon of orange juice. in fact...i can't think of a single liquid that costs nearly as much for a half gallon as for a whole gallon. and seeing as how we as humans don't actually need milk past a couple of years old...you would think milk wouldn't be the liquid they jack the price on. you would think it would be water.

leaves me wondering why they want us drinking sooo much milk? me personally...i only use milk for cooking or to eat cake with. i don't eat cereal. i don't drink milk. i drink chocolate soy milk and boy is that *SNIP* good. but yeah...why do they want us consuming gallons of milk instead of half gallons so bad? this is obviously a direct push to get us to buy whole gallons. any ideas? anything that everyone but me knows?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

The first problem here is shopping at WalMart but that's for a different thread.

The second is the lowly farmer....

Perhaps they are trying to bring the price of milk even further down. Can't have milk farmers paying their bills and keeping all of that land to themselves now can we? Monsanto (lol, the first one I thought of) might want the land for themselves...

Farmers worry that milk prices could slide below break even

"The higher price has helped a lot of us get caught up on our bills. But our expenses are really high now," said Dan Wolf, a dairy farmer near Allenton.

So go ahead and buy the gallon at a much lower price than the half gallon....

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

eat more cake..

Go on, be a rebel. Buy the gallon!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well that is cheap!!

Milk here at Wal-Mart and Publix is higher than that.

It's 2.89 for a half gallon and 3.89 for a gallon. I usually buy a gallon cause it lasts longer and I dont have to buy as much. My roommate always gets the half then we need more and I always tell him to get the gallon its cheaper in the long run since it's only a dollar more. He buys a gallon a week but in the form of 2 half gallons...He is set in his ways though so I doubt he will take my advice lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a pricing strategy used to get you to buy the gallon at 30 cents more revenue for them. Their store is filled with this type of merchandising mastery.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Kind of around the same subject but not directly addressing your question - Does anyone else remember last year when Walmart priced their brand of milk @ 99 cents?

My local walmart priced milk @ 99 cents per gallon for a few months last year - I've always wondered what the motivation was behind that since the competition was around $4 at that same time...

They were obviously taking a loss...I guess it could have just been a marketing strategy to get people in the store but it was around the time that the head of Walmart met with Obama and the food prices were just starting to warm up....

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Prolly because when they get the cow flowing, it's hard to stop it at just 1/2 a gallon. You keep that baby going.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
2.72 for a half gallon and 3.08 for a full?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? Where do you live? A full gallon here (New Orleans) is 4.82!!!! I'm moving to YOUR neighborhood!...lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
FIrst off, milk keeps your calcium levels up for your whole life.
Meaning you will have strong bones and yada yada yada. It's not just an infant thing.

Here in the UK we get 100ml bottle of coke for say £1,70 and 250ml (2 litres) for something like £1,90.

It's just greedy corporations that want you to pay for the convenience.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

We are the only animals who drink milk past infancy or the first year or two of life. There's nothing in milk that we can't get elsewhere. Imo...it's a ploy of some sort. I almost never drink milk and I have no calcium deficiency. I think there's a reason they push milk on us...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'm the only milk drinker in my house, so a gallon would go bad before I could drink it. I only drink skim milk, and it seems to sour quicker than regular 1 or 2 percent, so I always get the half gallon.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Maybe a lot of the price is in the container, and not a whole lot of difference in the amount of plastic? Just saying it could be a factor.

I'm in the same boat, my wife rarely drinks milk (she prefers the soy stuff, but not me). However, I can only drink it with certain things, like chocolate or baked goods (and I get whole, real milk, not that other crap).

I do however, try and plan out meals that involve milk in the cooking, to use it up.

new topics

top topics

join