It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Aztec Statue: Xipe Totec

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I was thinking this..Lemurs vary greatly in size extinct species are considered, the size range extended up to that of a gorilla at 160–200 kg (350–440 lb) just a thought...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The hands and feet in the OP pictures look very much like chimpanzee hands and feet. The creases in the skin are pretty much on point with any pics of great ape hands/feet you can find with a Google search. How a South American culture from that point in time would know what any of the great apes looked like......no idea.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Cthulhu33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by Cthulhu33 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Star and flag Slayer! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If this is supposed to be a human skin, then I would hate to think what some humans looked like back then.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
This was also an execution method where they would put someone inside the skin, wet it and tie them down.

As the sun did it's work the skin dried and shrank squeezing the life (and eyeballs) out of the victim.

And this was considered a high privilege to be sacrificed to Xipe Totec..

As for the appendages I believe they might be reptilian rather than primate since snakes and lizards shed their skins and live a good portion of their lives underground.
Or perhaps alligator on second thought,.

edit on 11-6-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

edit on 11-6-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My thoughts, you are correct in your observations, clear as day, hmm one more indicator of ancient trans Atlantic communication and trade, unless the Africans gave the monkey skins for free and then it just indicates at least one Atlantic crossing with a cargo of monkey skins, very good find Slayer.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Very interesting statues, thanks for taking the time to share these.

I am not sure what to make of it. My first initial thought (As I saw They Live today) was that the suit was more "reptilian" than ape, regarding the hands and feet.

A bit like silence of the lambs as well.

>>> Watches good movies.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
now heres a thought, what if it was some creature that got lost to time and got extinct because everyone killed it to wear its skin!! it also came in handy during aztec times because above its crazy junk it also doubled as a cup holder that you rest the cup that you just poured using the hot or cold handle which is conveniently doubled as its happy organs. sorry for the attempt of humour, its better then the real response i wanted to give which would have been "what the heck is that thing" its definitly a skin of some type of reptillian breed of animal because of the scaley hands and feet, it would be intresting to see what it looks like from behind to see if their might be a tale

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Yet again a clue about contact between the old and the new world ?

A civilization from pre history... Alien intanglement ? Or just intelligent humans way before we give man credit for ...

Cool find ! I never heard saw it before.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

This might add to the idea of a reptilian skin

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

It's symbolic, the other hands and feet are those of the 'etheric double' and the rope in the heart is the 'silver cord' that ties your KA to your body whilst you're still alive.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

"His junk" looks to me like he's wearing a skirt with an embellishment of a bull's head maybe? See it looks like horns on the sides pointing forward and and maybe a tongue hanging down?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Hah, that statue reminds me of the description for an Axlotl Tank in Dune, the mutated females that generate genetic material. Seriously though, that looks really strange, not sure what to make of it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The reason it looks like an ape is because it's symbolic of the 'lower self' the higher self being the more refined pronounced appendages. It's symbolic in that we all struggle with the lower and higher urges and demi-urges of life, whilst always being tied in with an 'umbilical cord' as life moves from womb to womb to womb.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
What a interesting piece.....Yes I'd definitely say Chimp or Ape like.
It could show a knowing within the civilisation of what they derived from? Or maybe it has another meaning with far more spiritual and deep significance, a lesson for the Totec Humans........ A God Within....... The Animal / Ape / Human ?

Very cool Statue Slayer S+F.
edit on 11-6-2011 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
first thing came in mind when i saw this..it reminds me on a spider change the skin..

looks like this statue do the same.. :O weird ..and the face scares me :S

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Some sketchey info on the net about this. You may have seen it before. Anyway I dug it up for ya and I believe the original story behind it is someone shot this guy sometime in the early in 1900s. I think it was Argentina but don't quote me on that.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/daf1a0f22f77.jpg[/atsimg]

Maybe some kind of extinct chimp?
edit on 10-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Apparently the existence of a large ape like creature in South America is not completely beyond the realms of possibility. Acording to an article in Wiki called Mono Grande there have been a number of recorded sightings of “marimondas” or “maribundas” between 1533 and 1987. In 1920 François de Loys, a swiss geologist managed to shoot and photograph one of these large ape like creatures. I’ve seen this photo before but didn't know the context until today. Most of his contemporaries claim it was a hoax and I have to concede the creature in the picture has a spider monkey like face but look at its feet and hands.

Ps: Dude looks like he has a fair bit of alabama black snake going on as well, might explain whats going on with the statues junk.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22a0a57488c8.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 11-6-2011 by AusiAnarchist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sussy
Just looking at the other pictures of animal skins, they also depicted the animals head. In the picture of human skin, they head is not included. Did they think apes were former humans? Why leave the head off if it was an ape? Curious....

The head is included. Look at the mouth. You can see two layers of lips.

Originally posted by Cthulhu33
The hands and feet in the OP pictures look very much like chimpanzee hands and feet. The creases in the skin are pretty much on point with any pics of great ape hands/feet you can find with a Google search. How a South American culture from that point in time would know what any of the great apes looked like......no idea.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Cthulhu33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by Cthulhu33 because: spelling

Because there are monkeys in South America and Meso America that have nearly the same appendages and digits? Knowledge of primates can go a long way when trying to prove or debunk something. Get some.

Those still not really "getting it" might want to take a look at this site:

Ozomatli

This image will show you a rough idea of the kinds of animals they knew existed.

Finally, it's going to be hard to tell because the Aztec didn't have a writing system. Even their calendrics were pretty lame in comparison to the Maya, which were before the Aztec.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by mustard seed

Xipe Totec

I had to look to see if I could find another image of the Demon God. This image has a "similar" chest like DNA thing going on.

Bizarre.......

I'm going to guess that maybe it's the entrance to get into the suit, and then they stitch it up after?

Edit: Sorry it seems to show from other statues that the entrance is in the back.
edit on 11-6-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
looking at the hands, it strongly looks like a man in a monkey suit.

with a DNA helix on his chest, though i'm sure the elders could've made a better helix....somehow i'm not buying the "god in human flesh" story that's being passed around.

surely looks like a "from ape, to man" statue, which would point to genetic manipulation of primates, to another species....

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Hi Schmidt1989,

Because there are monkeys in South America and Meso America that have nearly the same appendages and digits? Knowledge of primates can go a long way when trying to prove or debunk something.

According to wiki the primates of the new world weren't very large...

at 55 to 70 cm (22 to 28 in) and a weight of 12 to 15 kg (26 to 33 lbs)

Were these people just very small, did they stretch the skin to fit a person in it, was the suit made from several different monkeys or was there a primate walking around in those days not known to us any longer??

Knowledge of primate does indeed seem handy in this case so maybe you can shed some light on this subject.

Peace
edit on 11-6-2011 by operation mindcrime because: forgot the link to wiki

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join