It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X20 solar flare or typo ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yesterday, there was an X20 flare on space weather.com, somebody took a screen shot. Now on Spaceweather.com has had typos in the past though but on this one. I don't know, there it is. If so that will be the biggest flare in history I believe. Look under X-ray solar flares.

www.myhealthblog.org...
edit on 10-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Surely a typo

See www.solarham.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismir
Surely a typo

See www.solarham.com...

That's what I said but some of the Gulpers were trying to tie it with Elenin.
I'm not seeing it for once

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Has to be a typo.
I don't think we would be sitting here now typing about this on the internet do you?

The big flare that happened in 1859 took 18 hours to arrive.

From August 28, 1859 until September 2, numerous sunspots and solar flares were observed on the sun. Just before noon on September 1, the British astronomer Richard Carrington observed the largest flare,[4] which caused a massive coronal mass ejection (CME) to travel directly toward Earth, taking 18 hours. This is remarkable because such a journey normally takes three to four days. It moved so quickly because an earlier CME had cleared its way

Link to Wiki

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
If you go to spaceweather.com's archive for June 8th, you will see that they corrected the typo with a B2.

Good catch though.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

Has to be a typo.
I don't think we would be sitting here now typing about this on the internet do you?

The big flare that happened in 1859 took 18 hours to arrive.

From August 28, 1859 until September 2, numerous sunspots and solar flares were observed on the sun. Just before noon on September 1, the British astronomer Richard Carrington observed the largest flare,[4] which caused a massive coronal mass ejection (CME) to travel directly toward Earth, taking 18 hours. This is remarkable because such a journey normally takes three to four days. It moved so quickly because an earlier CME had cleared its way

Link to Wiki

Amen! We would be sitting in the dark going crazy!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

In 2003 the most powerful flare recorded occurred. No lights out.

Article: Latest Sun Flare Put at X28, Strongest on Record

www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

In 2003 the most powerful flare recorded occurred. No lights out.

Article: Latest Sun Flare Put at X28, Strongest on Record

www.space.com...

That CME was not Earth-directed.. it was a glancing blow.

The radiation flare was accompanied by a coronal mass ejection (CME), an expanding cloud of charged particles -- actual matter that moves at supersonic speeds but not as fast as light. Had this CME been aimed at Earth, scientists would have feared a potential space storm unlike anything seen in the Space Age.

As it is, the expanding cloud is expected to provide a glancing blow sometime Thursday.

If an X20 or higher pops off directly at Earth, I would expect some problems. Even if the power grid manages to stay up in most places, many satellites would likely be toast. I'd head north to check out the aurora show though!
edit on 10-6-2011 by nydsdan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Neither the OP nor the member I was replying to said anything about a CME.
A solar flare and a CME are not the same thing. There is no such animal as an X20 CME.

edit on 6/10/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

join