It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to 75 years in prison for recording a conversation with a police officer?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ChungTsuU

Your right that it makes no sense. There is nothing to digest other than the facts which I've done.

It's not that complicated of an issue for most people. Yea it might not be fair but it is the law. Don't like it than get it changed.

That's a fact not ego.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

That Illinois law is currently being challenged at federal level. Thing is that 3 other states had the same wording about the law and all of those decided that that does not extent to public where there is no expectation of privacy. So meanwhile this couple should've just taken still shots and video without audio. How someone would go about doing that I have no idea. Don't know if any video camera has 'disable audio' option.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by ChungTsuU

Your right that it makes no sense. There is nothing to digest other than the facts which I've done.

It's not that complicated of an issue for most people. Yea it might not be fair but it is the law. Don't like it than get it changed.

That's a fact not ego.

kro32:

That is great, what you just stated, thanks for being open minded!

Now, I as I began, "hypothetically", go deeper. Why is it that "they" can do some things, and it is okie dokie. However, when you and I do the same...it is against the "law".

Please look around, every place you can. Look!

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by kro32

That Illinois law is currently being challenged at federal level. Thing is that 3 other states had the same wording about the law and all of those decided that that does not extent to public where there is no expectation of privacy. So meanwhile this couple should've just taken still shots and video without audio. How someone would go about doing that I have no idea. Don't know if any video camera has 'disable audio' option.

I agree it's a jacked up law but nonetheless your not going to stand a chance in court as long as it's on the books. As far as the dash cam thing goes I'm fairly confident that the police officers don't like having their every action around the vehicle recorded either.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
That law will not go anywhere. It will still be illegal to covertly record others. What will change is the definitions. It will go the way the other 3 states did and make it so that if you don't have expectation of privacy then you can be recorded.

[Edit to add] They need the laws definitions changed in Illinnois anyway since the dashcam / security camera issue. Why in the world has noone taken the cops to court over this I cannot understand. Too afraid to challenge the system? They should know that if they intent to do so that there will be alot of support for them. ACLU for sure would jump in.
edit on 9/6/2011 by PsykoOps because: add

edit on 9/6/2011 by PsykoOps because: fix'd

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Denco

Wow... These people are stupid from top to bottom. The cops need to be taken to task for not doing their job, and then for trying to cover it up. The prosecuting attorny who filed the charges should be disbarred and prosecuted for prosecutorial misconduct. The Judge should be taken to task and removed from the bench for even allowing this case to move forward.

It should have been dismissed plain and simple.

If all the info in the article is correct, then every single officer, Prosecuting attorney and the judge needs their respective licenses revoked.

The whole point behind our legal system is to be firm but fair. This is is no way shape or form fair. Personally spaeking I would go out on a limb and say they might be violating her civil rights.

If Illinois is so gun ho stupid on recording public officals, then maybe the State attorneys general should file charges against every single law enforcement offical that uses dash cams with audio. Then the AG can file charges against court stenographers, since they are recording those proceedings. Then they can file charges against the judges and prosecuting attorneys for being aware of microphones in the court rooms that record the session - they dont disclose to the civilians present they are being recorded.

75 years in prison for recording an officer... what a joke illinois is.

I hope this person sues the crap out of everyone involved. I hope if it goes to court that the affected person receive maximum damages allowable.

and last... The state of illinois should be disbanded, with the state being split and the land going to surrounding states.

I hope the people of illinois fix their rectal-cranial inversion and vote these tools out of office.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Denco

Wow... These people are stupid from top to bottom. The cops need to be taken to task for not doing their job, and then for trying to cover it up. The prosecuting attorny who filed the charges should be disbarred and prosecuted for prosecutorial misconduct. The Judge should be taken to task and removed from the bench for even allowing this case to move forward.

It should have been dismissed plain and simple.

If all the info in the article is correct, then every single officer, Prosecuting attorney and the judge needs their respective licenses revoked.

The whole point behind our legal system is to be firm but fair. This is is no way shape or form fair. Personally spaeking I would go out on a limb and say they might be violating her civil rights.

If Illinois is so gun ho stupid on recording public officals, then maybe the State attorneys general should file charges against every single law enforcement offical that uses dash cams with audio. Then the AG can file charges against court stenographers, since they are recording those proceedings. Then they can file charges against the judges and prosecuting attorneys for being aware of microphones in the court rooms that record the session - they dont disclose to the civilians present they are being recorded.

75 years in prison for recording an officer... what a joke illinois is.

I hope this person sues the crap out of everyone involved. I hope if it goes to court that the affected person receive maximum damages allowable.

and last... The state of illinois should be disbanded, with the state being split and the land going to surrounding states.

I hope the people of illinois fix their rectal-cranial inversion and vote these tools out of office.

Agreed. If these people are trying to get proof, and the proof is "illegal", then what? That's the law here in CO as well. A very close friend of mine was having issues with her ex. He was leaving threatening messages on her phone. Very detailed messages about what he would do if he saw her or her husband. Scared, she went to the police. They didn't even listen to the msgs and told her it was illegal to "record" someone without their consent.
Uh, so is everyone violating the law if they save voicemails?
Well 3 weeks later, a stranger somehow saw (I don't know the exact details) that her ex was carrying a gun and called the police and followed him until the police got to him. He was 3 blocks away from her house when the police nabbed him. He was drunk and high on something. Speaking incoherently about her. The weapon was stolen. Luckily he was caught... but it's scary to think about what could have happened.
That's why I posted this. The story hit close to home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join