It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delta Charges Soldiers Nearly $3,000 in Baggage Fees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Delta Charges Soldiers Nearly $3,000 in Baggage Fees

abcnews.go.com

Members of U.S. Army Detachment 62 returned on Tuesday from an almost yearlong deployment in Afghanistan -- and, to their surprise, were forced to pay $200 apiece out of their own pockets for additional baggage fees while traveling from Atlanta back to their base in Louisiana.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.gadling.com

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this has been posted already. I did a search but didn't find anything. I'm also sorry if I placed this in the wrong section. I think this is my second post started since 2004

I just can't believe this. They charge our soldiers who are coming home from serving their country fees for their ruck sacks???? What is going on in this country??

If anything, soldiers should be given free flights. At the very least they shouldn't be charged to come home. First the TSA wants to grope our soldiers coming home from war, and now this. I really think I am done with flying. It is the only way to send a clear signal to the airlines that enough is enough.

I wish more people would feel the same. Then maybe something would get done. But I realize its an unrealistic wish.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-6-2011 by DerekJR321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It isn't realistic to stop flying.

But it IS realistic to boycott Delta, and fly with other carriers. To tell your friends and family. And to urge everyone you know to write a letter of complaint to Delta and explain why you'll be flying XYZ Airlines next time!

Is there a carrier that brings home soldiers for free or reduced price? I would fly that airline every single time. I'm not a fan of our government or where they're sending our soldiers, but I'm a fan of bringing them home after months of terror and sacrifice.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Corporations dont care about people, countries, soldiers, babies, etc. They care about profit. Thats what they are programmed, by humans, to care about and nothing else.

The form should be outlawed, as it is taking over our government in the US, and governments around the world. Everyone makes scary movies about machines taking over, when the artificial life form that actually IS taking over the world is already here, already doing it, already causing humans to die in many cases. And no one even really sees it for what it is.

Im glad you posted it, but of course they charged them fees. Its what they do. They arent people, they dont feel "gratitude." Or anything for that matter.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here is a video post by one of the soldiers on board the flight. The issue is not that Delta was just charging them. The issue is that Delta and the US Military have a contract that allows soldiers returning from war or on active duty to have 4 bags. Delta only allows 3 bags for everyone else. Yet these soldiers were charged $200 a pop for their 4th bag. Some of which were their weapons cases.

I guess it fits the American way. Our Government uses our soldiers and forgets them when they come home.

edit on 8-6-2011 by DerekJR321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I am as upset about this as everyone else, however, I was just as upset in the 80's when it happened to me as well. Extra baggage fees, extra fee to redirect to my home of record, extra fees to change the dates on tickets, these are things that have been happening to service members (and everyone else) for decades.

Later in the article, the true root cause of the occurrence is revealed. The soldier's superiors informed them that they were allowed four bags, not three. If the folks in charge of travel arrangements would have had their act together there would have been no problem.

But again, I don't understand the surprise at a practice that has been the norm since at least the early 80's?

Lets just bring them all home. Then we wouldn't have to worry about baggage fees at all, would we?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm going to play devils advocate.

Could this have been a situation where the person who checked in these soldiers didn't know about the 4 bag rule for soldiers returning from deployment? Might be a case where a person just started working for delta and made a mistake.

Lets see if they are refunded their money before jumping down the whole companys throat. Mistakes do happen. If this is a new person I hope that it doesn't cost him/her job. If it was a mistake on the clerks part then they was probably doing only what they thought was correct.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I saw this earlier and wrote them a nasty email, I doubt they give # but it made me feel better.. Glad to see I am not the only pissed off by this.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I don't blame Delta. The Defense Department should have picked up the tab.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Well Delta should be aware of that now and drop the charges.

I say Delta should still be boycotted anyway for allowing under trained personnel to operate their business if that's really the case.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

I don't blame Delta. The Defense Department should have picked up the tab.

Doesn't matter who was right or wrong the soldiers will be reimburst by the DD.

The soldiers will just mark the expense down on their travel voucher and will be reimburst in 3 to 5 weeks.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well Delta should be aware of that now and drop the charges.

I say Delta should still be boycotted anyway for allowing under trained personnel to operate their business if that's really the case.

Boycott them because a possible new employee made a mistake? If you did that then you would have to boycott every company in the world. New employees make mistakes, what will probably happen is that a memo will go around to all Delta employees reminding them of the correct procedures for checking in soldiers returning from deployment.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It wasn't Delta's fault. According to the news article, the three bag rule was the normal practice. The people who screwed up were the soldier's superiors, or the service members at the military transfer facility who told the soldiers they could take four bags. Lets put the blame where it belongs.

Also it says in the article that the military will re-imburse the soldiers for all extra fees. This is also standard practice. Really, there isn't much here except a little miss-communication.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Did I mention a few years back Delta lost my luggage and took 3 days to find it on my 4 day trip?

Not a big Delta fan here.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

I wasn't able to read the article for some reason, but I thought there was something weird about 4 bags. I was alway allowed 3 when going on deployement. 2 duffels and 1 ruck, I just assumed that the 4 bag rule came into effect recently to better accomodate soldiers who might have acquired more things while deployed.

I was beginning to get jealous. I had to give away a lot of stuff when I came back each time as shipping it all back would have cost more then what I was willing to spend.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Did I mention a few years back Delta lost my luggage and took 3 days to find it on my 4 day trip?

Not a big Delta fan here.

Now the reason for your hatred for Delta comes out. I would boycott them to, lost baggage isn't a mistake. Its caused by people simply not paying attention to what they are doing. I work as a lineman at an airport and cannot stand lazy people who don't take their job seriously. No excuse for it.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
S & F

Back in the day, United held a damned plane for us heading to Norfolk via Chicago in uniform.

They will get reimbursed; but it is rotten as hell.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
but I'm a fan of bringing them home after months of terror and sacrifice.

I should think it's a small price to pay after spreading terror.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Apparently Delta has now issued an appology and has revised their policy. At least its a step in the right direction for soldiers.

Delta Apologizes

Sigh...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Just received this email from Delta...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We realize there may be concerns
regarding members of the United States military traveling with us on
active duty and we want to take this opportunity to address some of
their issues.

We want our customers to know how deeply Delta respects and admires the
men and women who fight every day for our country. As a company, we have
very strong ties to the armed forces, with countless employees, family,
friends, and loved ones serving actively or on reserve, and many more
who are retired from military service. Delta understands what it takes
to travel as an active duty member of the military which is why we work
hard to ensure our policies allow active duty military personnel
traveling with us additional flexibility.

Effective June 8, 2011, Delta Air Lines will increase its baggage
allowance for Active duty U.S. military personnel traveling on orders to
or from duty stations to four (4) checked bags in Economy Class and up
to five (5) checked bags in First and Business Class on Delta and Delta
Connection carriers at no charge. This change is also applicable to
dependents traveling with active military on orders. Previously the
allowance included three (3) checked bags in Economy Class and four (4)
in First and Business Class. Weight restrictions will still allow these
bags to weigh up to 70 lbs. (32 kg) and measure up to 80 linear inches
(203 cm), which offers added flexibility over the standard 50 lbs. and
62 linear inches (157 cm). Because of weight, balance and space
constraints, Delta Connection carriers will accept up to four bags at no
charge.

As an enhancement to these policies, active military presenting military
id will be allowed two free checked bags during personal travel. Our
military men and women deserve a high level of flexibility in their
travel and we hope that this clarification will support our efforts to
provide them with a travel experience reflective of our appreciation for
their service.