It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't think theists understand that we just don't believe...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
reply to post by bogomil

Everybody knows there are Fords and Chevys...why advertise.

That's actually a very good question of marketing. Advertisement keeps the brand in your mind, maintaining brand awareness highly improves the chances that customers will choose your car over the other company's.

Everybody knows smoking may kill you... why remind people?

Similar reason as above.

Everybody knows exercise is good for you... why promote the lifestyle?

Well, clearly not a lot of people are doing it. An increase in exercise in the USA would do wonders to alleviate the stress on the healthcare industry.

Everybody has heard of Christ...why witness to others?

Because Jesus told us to...He further offered us His example. And no...not everybody has heard of Christ. And many that have heard of Christ don't know Christ.

And some of us actively promote the idea that you could provide us with some evidence and we'd gladly believe.

Being fishers of men is an analogy Jesus gave to Christians... and anyone else that may come to follow Him. In that line of thought, I used the word bait. We don't really need bait... but some people have been disenchanted by those that proclaim to be Christians, when in fact they are not... not in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

And Paul said nonbelievers are without excuse. Granted, he said some other really stupid things too. By the way...read some critical literary theory. Try using 'fishers of people', it's a much less sexist way of putting it...granted, it's a sexist religion.

As such, we offer people an opportunity to re-examine who Chritians are.... again, it may be a function, an activity, a meal, a social gathering. Some do come and some decline. That is their choice.

I frankly find the fisher analogy, just like the shepherd analogy, a bit sill. Catching a fish kills it, shepherds prepare a flock for slaughter. Neither is a good outcome

Also, a fish who doesn't bite is avoiding a bad fate, while (at least in your view) a person who doesn't follow your religion is going to have the worst possible fate.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You wrote:

["My,my...we sound a bit aggitated. I offer explanations as to why we witness...I am not condemning...I am not demanding.... "]

It happens sometimes, that 'we' get a little agitated, when 'we' are talked to, as if 'we' are imbecile children. 'We' are not imbecile, and 'we' do not like implications in that direction.

Quote: ["And then you insult me and my faith, you speak with a coy, smug, sense of superiority..."]

If you can call me 'we', I guess, I also have the option of choosing an imprecise pronoun.

So I have hurt it's little feelings, have I?

But I'm NOT especially criticizing any specific ideology. I'm critisizing self-appointed and self-justified invasive missionaries. Present me a hard-core stalinist or nazi, and I'll put him/her through the wringer also.

Quote: ["By doing so, you display just how happy and enlightened you really are."]

Is it a new fad amongst christians to take evening courses in psychology. These days you seem to spew out character-analyses regularly.

But no, my reasons for opposing you and your ilk have nothing to do with any character deficiencies in me. It's a basic anti-fascist-ideology attitude I have.

Quote: ["I remember in my "all knowing" youth when I was just as rational and critical and intelligent as you obviuosly are."]

Dude, I'm a fossil. Don't patronize me with age-arguments.

Quote: ["May your life be untainted by tragedy, so as to never need faith in God."]

Come tragedy or not, how can an imaginary 'god' (POSSIBLY a real demon-lord) called Jahveh help me?

As to faith per se; it helps some...others it doesn't help. And to choose a faith is any case a private decision YOU have nothing to do with. But please go on and call your pushing for: "Sharing". We have free speech.

edit on 10-6-2011 by bogomil because: spelling

edit on 10-6-2011 by bogomil because: grammar

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

I couldn't agree with you more by what you have just said...now see, we do agree on some things... faith is personal, I have nothing to do with the decisions you anyone else makes...and we do have freedom of speech.

Oh, by the way...our church is having a BBQ chicken dinner next week...and home-made ice cream... You are invited. Hope to see you there.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

reply to post by bogomil

I couldn't agree with you more by what you have just said...now see, we do agree on some things... faith is personal, I have nothing to do with the decisions you anyone else makes...and we do have freedom of speech.

Oh, by the way...our church is having a BBQ chicken dinner next week...and home-made ice cream... You are invited. Hope to see you there.

Happy about what we do agree on. If we can agree on the need of at least some missionary introspection on 'pushing' as opposed to 'offering' you and I can stop the mudthrowing.

Not knowing where your BBQ is to take place (I'm a european), there would be some time- and economic considerations. Being a vegetarian myself, I would hope for a vegetarian alternative for me, and finally a definite condition: NO religion send my way, unless I freely accept it. (This paragraph is just chat).

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

That's cool bogomil man... maybe I can put some baked beans, slaw, and new red potatoes on dry ice and over night it to ya. Maybe even some banana pudding... do you guys have banana pudding in Europe? I know they don't have pimento cheese up in New Jersey...so I guess they don't have banana pudding in Europe...

Heck, if I couldn't get banana pudding..I don't suppose I'd believe in God either.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

reply to post by bogomil

That's cool bogomil man... maybe I can put some baked beans, slaw, and new red potatoes on dry ice and over night it to ya. Maybe even some banana pudding... do you guys have banana pudding in Europe? I know they don't have pimento cheese up in New Jersey...so I guess they don't have banana pudding in Europe...

Heck, if I couldn't get banana pudding..I don't suppose I'd believe in God either.

On this easy-going tone: Buddha is said to die from overpoliteness, by accepting (what he knew was) spoiled food. I guess, I could force myself to eat banana-pudding to show good will.

But you forgot the main point: NO uninvited religion thrown my way. That's kind of a MAJOR issue on ATS and elsewhere.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join