It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Tithing: A curse...or is NOT tithing a curse?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

In Medieval England, the Catholic church collected taxes, in cash or kind, of 10%. In addition, people were required to work church land for free.

A shady group? Anyone who belongs to a church that demands, sometimes with threats, coersion, emotional blackmail, a tithe really would be better off finding another church that respects their right to offer what is in their hearts to offer. Many tithe voluntarily, to support the Church's charitable work in the world. Those churches and church leaders who take too great a share of the tithe for their own enrichment expose themselves as charlatans.

Back to the medieval, Henry VIII understood only too well just how fat the church had grown! With the dissolution, he swiped the lot!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Interestingly according to this Wiki-entry:
en.wikipedia.org...
the 10% tithe began in Babylon and Mesopotamia.

In the New Testament "free will tithing" is advised, rather than a set amount:

n Christianity, some interpretations of Biblical teachings conclude that although tithing was practiced extensively in the Old Testament, it was never practiced or taught within the first-century Church. Instead the New Testament scriptures are seen as teaching the concept of "freewill offerings" as a means of supporting the church: 1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 9:7. Also, some of the earliest groups sold everything they had and held the proceeds in common to be used for the furtherance of the Gospel: Acts 2:44-47, Acts 4:34-35. Further, Acts 5:1-20 contains the account of a man and wife (Ananias and Sapphira) who were living in one of these groups. They sold a piece of property and donated only part of the selling price to the church but claimed to have given the whole amount and immediately 'fell down and died' when confronted by the apostle Peter over their dishonesty.

The practice only resurfaced in Europe in the Middle Ages.
edit on 10-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Thanks for this!

+1 to my research, good read my friend

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Jesus did not tithe and neither did he ever speak of it.The Levites, of the old testament, were required to, but that is all. Talk of new testament tithing is only testament to the instant corruption of human beings (specifically where peter kills ananias and saphira using witchcraft lol)...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Your supposed to either donate money to the poor or donate food to the poor. Only the original Temple had the right to accept donations on behalf of the Creator.

Catholicism and Protestantism are both heretical, satanic distortions of the Gospel of Jesus. I don't claim to be a perfect person, but it is obvious both types of Christianity are evil. Look at how they pathologically lie about stuff when it benefits them? Look at how they steal from the poor to fill their own glut. Look how they demand blind obedience.

Your friend is better off donating money to food banks and homeless shelters, and if they insist on going to a Pagan Christian Church they can just donate a token amount.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Isn't it like paying union dues or mob protection

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I give some money each week to a small church I've heard others speak good things about. I do not attend this or any other church. This is strictly because they have a wonderful program which helps others. I've been there to check it out and volunteer when there is something to do. They don't just feed a person, they will help pay a bill when late. They find homes for people who are locally displaced. They help people get back on their feet again. I'd hate to see this church close up. They are out there extending help, while others have nothing but a sermon.

By the way, I'm one of those evil non-believers. The holy folks at this church also respect my right to not believe or attend. I don't expect them to ever try to convert me, and I feel real respect from them.

It makes me feel good to help people.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The concept of tithing and why and how much lies with the individual.

My family goes to church, I go to church, and at no time has anyone ever forced or required that we give. When i can't afford to give, I don't ... with no fear of retribution from God, the church, or it's members.

We give for several reasons:
-as supplication to God
-as a sacrifice we make to support God's Kingdom and the church we attend
-to support programs at a local and national level

We give on many levels to, not just money. Ours is a small country church. Some members donate trees to cut up as firewood for people without heat...last year we served over 50 families and homes.

We give food stuffs, blankets, childrens toys and milk that go to a local food bank for the needy.

I have actually donated hogs I raised myself and processed into sausage for Breakfast Dinner fundraisers for various church programs that served our community.

We have BBQ dinners and Brunswick Stew Sales to raise money for Mission Trips...we've been to honduras where we built homes and provided medical treatment to local villagers...one father told my wife, a registered nurse, that the treatment his family got was better than they had ever recieved in the hospitals.

We recently went to Yucatan Mexico and personlly passed out over a half ton of school supplies, food stuffs, and toys to a local school and families around Tizimin...all were donated...a part of the tithing process.

Now as some will note, some of the money goes to the up keep of our church and various functions... the light company won't take payment in chickens or firewood. As such, we also tithe money.

The point is...tithing might be cookies for needy children, it might be a prized pig to raise money, it might be a raffle on a donated bass boat to help a family with medical paymnets, it might be money to pay the preacher for riding all over 3 counties visiting the sick and needy of the church community.

Redemptiobn and Salvation are not tied to money or objects...only a corrupt so-called church does as much. Salvation is FREE...all you have to do is believe in and love and know the Lord Jesus Christ.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I only ever encountered Tithing on the brief experience with the Mormon Church. Don't know if anythings changed but they expected 10% of peoples earnings. Obviously not being used to this method I thought it odd, sure they send folks out on missions, but those are paid for by the American gov - The churches are nothing more than odd looking wooden clad huts in this country so I can only assume they need all that money for cuprinol or something.

Here we tend to stick to the old offertory box and Church fetes, since ours are so old and crusty they need all the money they can to stop a gargoyle falling on a parishioners head.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

If you go to Malachi, chapter 3, you will see why God told them they were under a curse. Because they gave imperfect offerings to God, and God chided them and said, would they do that to their governor ? Then God tells them that blessing does indeed come from giving, especially in the tithe. But a tithe given just to get something is an imperfect offering. But tithe given because you are showing that you trust God with your money and life, is one that will be blessed. We are not told we "must" tithe, but that we should tithe, and God offers the challenge that He would give more than can be given to Him. So in tithing is a promise of God for His blessing.

Now some will believe and some won't. But I will tell you that in 1991 I did not have two dimes to rub together, and was continually being evicted from the places I lived due to unemployment etc. So I chose to test God at His word and trust Him for my money and everything else He said. In less than ten years I earned 125,000 K and more, owned my own house (14 rooms), have my own business (2 of them), have two cars, and tenants of my own who now pay me rent. So all I can say is that I believe the promise in the tithe as God said. I don't give to get, but I give to trust and show that trust in my tithe.

But at the same time one must be careful not to go after prosperity messages that twist the word of God and make it all about getting. It has nothing to do with getting but everything to do with giving, and trusting. That is what the tithe is about. So tithe if you believe what God said, and don't if you just can't believe what God said. You choose. I made my choice.

Read Malachi, chapter 3 and then decide for yourself.

edit on 3-8-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Giving 10% of our money to the church or ministry.....well...I am part of the church...and so I give the money to myself!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Actually Jesus did talk about tithing - when the widow put in her small offering Jesus pointed out to the disciples that she sacrificed more than all the rest of the people.

Tithing is a method to combat the love of money. It's difficult for anyone not to get caught up the race of accumulating more stuff and making more money. I personally don't tithe 10% to my church, but I do give them some money. I know churches are ran by men and men can be corrupted. Instead I choose to spend some of my tithe donation elsewhere. I support a child in Peru, donate food to the local community center, support missionaries, and various other moments when I see people in need. You know when you see people on the corner with a homeless sign - I'm one of those saps that gives them some money. I don't care what they do with it, that's not for me to judge. I do it because my heart tells me it's the right thing to do.

As for the church trying to "guilt" you into tithing, if that's what it takes to have a person tithe then their heart really isn't in the right place. It isn't the church's fault.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Of course it's a Biblical requirement. That way, the Church can guarantee an income.

Of course, the Christian God is "all forgiving". The way I see it, I can do whatever I like, and he will forgive me of my sins.

What a stupid concept. "Give us 10% of your money" and then "oh, it doesn't matter if you don't, or even if you don't come to Church, EVER, because our God is all forgiving".

Ok, I'll take the easy (and cheaper !) option.

In the Middle Ages it was also common for people to leave the Church money and/or large amounts of land in their wills. Religion (and especially Christianity) is the biggest money making scam in the history of the human race.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Tithing is a personal decision. Unfortunately, some churches over emphasize the importance of tithing and attempt to guilt people into a commitment that may actually hurt some families financially. If my church ever tried to strong arm my contributions I'd walk away.

I give when the basket is passed my way in church. Sometimes, I have an extra $5 in my wallet sometimes it's a $20 and a little extra for Easter and Christmas. I will say that I carry less cash these days because of my debit card and I'm sure I am not alone. Churches could be feeling the pinch because of this. Up next hand held scanners instead of baskets.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Old Temple to take your Tithe to...Solomans Temple
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0b79e1b08b2.jpg[/atsimg]
New temple to take your Tithe to...The "Faithful" Reserve
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbe8053169e7.jpg[/atsimg]

Peace
edit on 10-8-2011 by letthereaderunderstand because: Added titles

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

All you had to do was read Galatians 3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law to know that there is no way to be cursed with an Old Covenant declaration in Malachi 3 when the latest written on the curse is Christ has redeemed you from the curse if you are in him. How is it most Christians don't understand this when some grace robber tries to declare a curse over them for robbing God? The latest written is in Romans 8:32 God and Jesus freeely gives you all things so how can you rob God since he and His Son freely gives you all things?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

There is no mandate to keep the tithe law after Jesus died on the cross and said Paid in full. It is just a biblical error to quote any mandate as a condition of the blessing and favor of God other than the payment Jesus made on the cross to freely give you all things. Tithe advocates are trying to throw Christians back under a curse they were never under because God was not speaking to Gentiles under the Old Covenant only Jews. He infact told the Jews to wipe out the pagan Gentiles in the Old Testament. Read your whole bible cover to cover to gain this understanding. Gentile Christians were grafted into the New Covenant of Grace. His daily Grace is unearned and unmerited given freely because of the payment Jesus made in full on his cross.

Read Galatians 4:24 These two women serve as an illustration of God's two covenants. The first woman, Hagar, represents Mount Sinai where people received the law that enslaved them.

Read Galatians 4:30 But what do the Scriptures say about that? "Get rid of the slave and her son, for the son of the slave woman will not share the inheritance with the free woman's son."

Galatians 5:1
" It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery".

Galatians 5:2 "Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all". ( the same goes for the tithe law if you read Galatians 5:4 )

Galatians 5:4
"For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace".

Acts 13:39
"Everyone who believes in him is declared right with God--something the law of Moses could never do".

Romans 10:4
"Christ is the end of the Law for righteousness for everyone who believes"

Read Galatians 3:13
"Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law ".....

The Holy Spirit resides in every regenerated born again believer to guide them in all things. This is far better than the external Old Covenant on tablets of stone

Understand 2nd Corinthians 3:6
" He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life."

The Old Covenant ends in death because of endless burnt offerings and the dying of spotless Lambs. But Christianity 101:
1st Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

Matthew 23:23 Jesus said tithing was below mercy and faith and this was said when the tithe law was still in effect before he said Paid in full on the cross
There is not one demand to keep any law for favor from God after Jesus said Paid in full. The Holy Spirit within every regenerated born again believer has replaced the outward external law.
edit on 10-8-2013 by Graceoverlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Jesus talked about tithing but in Matthew 23:23 but you failed to note his audience was Jews under the Old Covenant law, not redeemed from the curse of that law Christians. Read Galatians 3:13 Christ has redeemed us form the curse of the law. Tithe legalist say tithing was before the law because Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek but God never required this as law.

God did require circumcision as a sign of the covenant in Genesis 17:11 "You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you".
Circumcision also predates the law but NOT one preacher enforces circumcision just tithing which is so inconsistent until it is laughable.

I'm not against support for ones Place of Worship what most of us anti-tithe legalist object to is forcing a tithe mandate on Gentiles when God never gave one Gentile the tithe law. We have His Grace period. We have the internal guidance of His Spirit which has replaced the external law written on tablets of stone. Read your whole bible cover to cover to understand the Old Covenant vs The New Covenant and the Grace you have been given as a redeemed Christian.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

The point is tithing is NOT a mandate for Christians today. God did NOT give the tithe law to any redeemed from the curse of the law Gentile, just like he did NOT give the male Circumcision law to Gentiles that he gave Abraham in Genesis 17:11 (which also predates the law of Moses).

Christians have His Grace period and were grafted into a NEW Covenant. All favor and blessings should be based on the payment Jesus made on the Cross, not your tithe payments.

Read Galatians 3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law.
The above bible verse was the latest written on the curse. Jesus nailed all curses over you to His Cross free of charge. He and God now Freely gives you all things.. Romans 8:32, no one can condemn you over any amount of money you pay or don't pay because God has justified you Romans 8:33
Read the entire bible Genesis to Revelation word for word and understand which covenant is now in place.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

When Christians understand what is meant by Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law they will understand the whole meaning of Paid in full and that paid in full does not mean pay in full. Jesus did the paying for God with Him to freely give us all things.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join