It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Moving of Rocks in Death Valley

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I recently came across this website, which documents how certain rocks in Death Valley appear to move on their own, leaving tracks on the ground. What is odd is that some move, and others (occasionally much larger) don't.

Check it out.

[edit on 6-8-2004 by darkcreation]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
We haven't discussed this here in a looong time, as far as I can remember. The last time I think was in one of the old message boards. Funny thing is that I was just reading about it yesterday!!

Apparently nobody has ever seen one of those rocks actually move yet.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
There's a thread here. It never got any replies though.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Apparently geologists have been researching it and have decided that they 'slide' across the ground, due to a thin layer of a (slippery) substance created by certain weather types. But still, if no one has ever seem them move... I remain skeptical towards this (above) concept.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
besides the fact that noboby never see them moving, there are any possible theorys about how and why they aparently move?!

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kangaxx
besides the fact that noboby never see them moving, there are any possible theorys about how and why they aparently move?!

The only theory I have discovered so far is the one I posted above ^

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'll admit it...

I've been the one moving them all these years...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Ill admit, its an excellent tourist promotion. Go to Death valley, and see the demon possesed rocks that move of thier own accord! bring the kids! Get your demonic pet rock souvenier!

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Its amazing how much those tracks look like the rover tracks from mars.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Its amazing how much those tracks look like the rover tracks from mars.

Woah I didn't notice that! Hmmm that's interesting...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It's been sometime since I saw something on this. The explanation I saw was that it gets cold enough at night for a thin layer of water to form, maybe it freezes and the frequent winds push the rocks along. My only defense of this principle is I had afull can of pop on a table and the moisture built up beneath it and it would "walk" across my table. Freaked me out the first time I saw it moving out of the corner of my eye.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Yeah thats happened to me too, but I just can't see it happening to boulders of considerable size and weight. Surely they'd too heavy for the wind to move?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well wind can't be an explanation else the Rocks that are very close to each other would go in the same direction. But that is not the case like in the first link posted in this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yeah, I thought that too, but the guy I saw (Iwish I could remember where I saw this.) he said that the winds could get fast enough to do the job. I think someone needs to set up a camera or such and watch them rocks!

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
good explanations for they'r possible movements.
firstly i had thinked in natural magnestim.
in my country we have a "hill" in a turistic zone also, where weird phenomenas happen because the center of the hill have huge amounts of "magnetite", a natural highly magnetic mineral. the phenomenas goes from "walking rocks" to stoped cars (not braked) that rolls several Cms in roads with extreme high elevation of many degrees, to metal objects moving in the houses nearby, etc.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
I think someone needs to set up a camera or such and watch them rocks!

It suprises me that no one has thought of - or done this already
It would be the obvious thing to do!

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This looks a job for the Mythbusters! Love that show.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Never seen it. Bet i'm really missing out

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
How would you fake it the rocks moving i mean that you leave no tracks?
You guys are brillant >Lets see what you come up with.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Well, no conclusions, but several theories here...

sophia.smith.edu...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join