It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange In Chile's Earthquakes - 6 Mile By 3 Mile Rift Rips In Earths Crust!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I came across this news this evening, first on Modern Survival Blog.
Then checked other news sources to verify the reports. Sure enough this has been reported by
The Associated Press, and Fox News has also picked up this story.

Reports are that a volcanic rift has opened in the Earths crust; 6 miles long, 3 miles wide.

First, this from the Survival Blog.

The thing is, for some unknown reason, as of this writing, eight earthquakes near magnitude 5 have shook the earth near the Puyehue volcano. The problem is, the earthquakes are located 20 to 40 miles away from the eruption! Very Strange Indeed.

There’s something brewing quite a distance from the eruption, but is quite obviously directly related. We’re talking about enormous energies here.

In addition, apparently the volcano itself has not erupted from it’s old caldera. Instead, it has ripped a huge gash into the surface of the earth 6 miles long by 3 miles wide, 2.5 miles away! Amazing

modernsurvivalblog.com...

Then, the article from The Associated Press.
I have taken screen shots, just in case.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) —

Authorities initially said the Puyehue volcano was involved, but later said the eruption was occurring about 2½ miles (four kilometers) from that peak.

A rift more than six miles (10 kilometers) long and three miles (five kilometers) across was torn in the earth's crust, officials said Saturday night.

Authorities had put the area on alert Saturday morning after a flurry of earthquakes, and the eruption began in the afternoon. The National Emergency Office said it recorded an average of 230 tremors an hour.

Associat ed Press

Reports by Fox News

www.foxnews.com...

The Puyehue volcano began erupting Saturday in southern Chile, leading the government to widen its evacuation order so that the approximately 3,500 people living near it are moved elsewhere, just hours after decreeing a red alert due to the intense seismic activity in the area.

“We’re in an episode of significant volcanic activity. We have a column of smoke now 10 kilometers (6 miles) high. We even have news that it has reached Argentina,” Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter said. Meanwhile, the governor of the Los Rios region, Juan Andres Varas, said on Cooperativa radio that in nearby towns there is a strong “smell of sulfur and ash,” and from there can be seen a “crater of fire and a column of smoke.”

hisz.rsoe.hu...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

The Puyehue – Cordon Caulle complex erupting for the first time in 50 years, not to be
sensational however, its hard to ignore news like this. To put it in perspective...

We must realize that we are just tiny specs of life living on top of a thin crust of shifting solid earth, and at the mercy of mother nature. It’s always stunning to observe the power that lies beneath our feet. modernsurvivalblog.com...

edit on 6-6-2011 by burntheships because: spelling, format and all of that

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Wow thank you for posting this.

6 miles by 3miles? The more I think about it the more I am concerned.

I checked CNN just now, nothing not a whisper. However your source the AP trumps CNN easily. CNN has a poor track record, and this is just proof in the pudding. CNN doesn't report news, they just post up propaganda designed to manipulate the reader into believing the BS agenda of TPTB. Fail CNN, major epic fail.

Volcanic rifts of this size are pretty rare. In fact I don't really think I know of any existing in my lifetime. If there is a rift this large, please someone enlighten me and show me the links, because I love stuff like this and want to know more.

I don't think this has to be sensationalized really. Doesn't the size of the rift sensationalize it on it's own?

30,000 ft (10,000 meters) X 15,000 ft (5,000 meters) roughly.

Does anyone know if the rift has stabilized or is it growing slowly? Do we have any data on the current situation?

Also I cannot find any video or photos of the Rift, but there is tons of sources confirming the size of it and that it indeed exists. I would LOVE to see photos of the rift itself.

I am just afraid what I may see could be quite disturbing.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Wow are there photos anywhere? glad you made copies! I tired to find images but could not find none.

S&Fs

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I was just reading about this topic elsewhere and looking at some videos.

These for example:

The sound of the falling ash is very eerie.

edit on 6-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Jesus! the second video is spine tingling, I can NOT imagine being there and experiencing that, I speak spanish and somewhat towards the end of the second video he says: that is not thunder, that is more eruptions from the volcano!

OMG, get out! why is he still there?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Wow! I've dug through all of the links, though I have not seen any images of the rift. Is this a viewable rift or one beneath the surface? I would love to see this rift!

Thanks miss! This is one of the biggest reasons I love ATS. I check here for my current news before I hit any real news sites. Keep it up!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Muzzle,

I am still scouring the news to find more about this.

Taking into account that this is on The Ring Of Fire, and also Chile being home of the
epic 9.5 earthquake, its not too shocking, I guess. earthquake.usgs.gov...

I am really looking forward to hearing from some of our ATS earthquake experts on this,
as hopefully more news breaks on this!

This is a very good timeline of events here on this site, with some wonderful pictures and videos.
earthquake-report.com... lle-volcanoes/

Just one video of the many from the site:

edit on 6-6-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I think there may have been a mix up in interpretations somewhere along the line...

Puyehue-Cordón Caulle volcano lies on what's called the Cordón Caulle rift zone.

Which is 6x13km wide.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Chadwickus is right.

When speaking in terms of volcanism a rift isn't necessarily a single gaping crack. It's a series of eruptions along a linear region. Over time such features can develop into deep valleys.
Kilauea's East rift, however, continues to grow:

edit on 6/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Does the size relate to anything special? And I wonder how deep? My theirs a new species down there we didn't know

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I have no problem with your assement Chad.

Really, I dont. Maybe you can ring up the AP News and let them know.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Also, in the RSOE link, it says that the plume of ash is 6 miles high and 3 miles wide, could that be the miss interpretation? UNtil I see pictures, I'm going to treat this as unconfirmed.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam,

Yes, its a very eerie sound for sure. Thanks for the videos!

Its beautiful to look at, it looks like snow, but I am sure being there is
a very unpleasant experience.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ISis12RA12ELohim

I can NOT imagine being there and experiencing that, I speak spanish and somewhat towards the end of the second video he says: that is not thunder, that is more eruptions from the volcano!

That is very good footage, and sound. Thanks for translating that!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Ok so we have like 3 options here?

1) It's a fissure like the recent one in Hawaii but way bigger.
Here is video of the Hawaiian fissure a few months ago.

This is what I naturally instantly picture when someone says "Volcanic Rift of X size".
And here is a link with some good information about how fissures work

2) The AP and local press mis-worded the information and were talking about something like the ash plume size or whatever? Who knows - but simple mistakes like that sure do make the "super credible" press look quite untrustworthy if they make a simple mistake like this that freaks people the hell out! Pretty negligent that would be.

3) It is referring to what Phage was discussing earlier. A newly formed Valley, but yet still having soil as it's base. Rather than an open fissure with lava or gases pouring out of it.

I suppose I will have to take the ATS protocol and do this by the book and wait for further information with photographs or something to confirm or deny our suspicions based on the poor journalism that we deal with here on Earth.

I shall await further information before jumping the gun any further.

edit on 6-6-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Also, in the RSOE link, it says that the plume of ash is 6 miles high and 3 miles wide, could that be the miss interpretation? UNtil I see pictures, I'm going to treat this as unconfirmed.

That's the "by the book" method and I agree.

After you are at ATS awhile you realize you gotta treat almost everything like this.

Trust me if you start believing in something before it's confirmed, the ATS renegade squad will make you wish you hadn't. I say this from experience.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

They didn't say fissure, they said rift. In volcanism, rift has a specific meaning.

You misunderstand. I don't think it's a newly formed valley. It could be a linear series of new eruptions but I think Chadwickus is correct. The AP blew it, as the MSM usually does when it comes to anything having to do with science (geology being a science of course).

edit on 6/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Muzzle,

Great info on the Hawaii fissure, and thanks a million for that video, I had not seen that!

I agree, there are at least three clear possibilites here, and thanks for highlighting them so
very well, in your Muzzleflash style.

And yes,
imagine if the Associated Press has this "news" all wrong.

Seriously, it would give Sarah Palin some comic relief!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I went and did some quicky research on Volcanic Fissures - Wiki .

In the article it says this

Fissures are usually found in or along rifts and rift zones, such as Iceland and the Great Rift Valley in Africa. Fissure vents are often found in shield volcanoes.

So basically I was mixing up the two terminology since they were so closely related "Fissure" and "Rift".

The "Rift" apparently is the crust itself when it is pulled apart, wiki also calls this a "Chasm".
And the "Fissure" is when the Rift actually breaks the surface and gases or lava can escape.

I apologize for mixing all of this up, I believe I have it all sorted out now (at least this small portion).

That's the bad part about not knowing everything, I make simple mistakes even on things like terminology, (thankfully the Press screwed up so big that my screw up might be ignored mostly). But hey I admit it, I am not happy with my failure but I am willing to say my bad, I really made a huge mistake there.

I am thankful that Chad and Phage caught me on that. I need folks who can correct me when I make a amateur mistake. But I am willing to admit my mistake, make corrections, and I refuse to edit my OP which shows clearly the depth of my misunderstanding.

edit on 6-6-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Ok, well here we go!

I just found a recent 35 mile long volcanic rift from 2005!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3618f961e0f.jpg[/atsimg]

A 35-mile long volcanic rift in the Ethiopian desert that opened up back in 2005 has been confirmed as likely being the beginning of a new sea. That's the word from an international team of scientists, whose work has been published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters:

The rift began when Mount Dabbahu erupted, for the first time in recorded history, and in a matter of just three weeks spread to up to 25' wide along a fault line in the Afar desert. Heading towards the Red Sea, it could eventually split off Eritrea, Djibouti and part of Ethiopia from the rest of the continent.www.treehugger.com...

Just look at that! Its intimidating, yet very beautiful!

So given that information, that rift being 35 miles long,and expanding to 25' wide in three weeks I have no problem believing this rift of 6 miles could actually have formed as they say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join