It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cob House, 63 Acres, Garden and a Chicken Coop...My Small Budget Survival.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Just want to share some info to show the path that I'm traveling and that it isn't necessary to be rich to achieve a self sufficient lifestyle in whichever way you may want to go.

I am almost ready to start my cob house this summer. I have recently bought 63 acres with a river, pond, gardening area, fruit trees and a small shack (will use for a chicken coop when I build my Cob House) I paid no more than $40,000. I put 10% down. My Monthly payment is $295. My insurance is $35 per Month and my Property taxes are $250 per year.It will be difficult at first I know but as time goes by, it'll become natural and easier.

I won't go into survival items, guns etc. Just the homestead. The rest is common sense but for anyone thinking it's too expensive, think again. It CAN be done.

Here's my plan:

Cob Houses.

Many know about these and many don't, but I'd like to bring these amazing creations into the mainstream as I believe that everyone should at least be aware of what is possible on a small budget. Sadly, these are not new but we have lost interest in the concept. Happily, they have not been completely forgotten and we can revive the value of these structures as not only a viable living space but as a potential survival knowledge base.

Homes on this video are between $900 and $50,000. I expect mine to be about $15,000.

Building your house. It ain't that difficult. Grab a few friends, supply the beer and pizza and away you go!

Ok, now that we got that out of the way and you can see that it's not only possible to build a cheap shelter but it can be a personal mansion if that's your thing, let's get to the land:
I have been looking at properties for over 3 yrs now and have come to the conclusion that the most affordable land to build on is located on the prairies of Canada as well as the Northern areas. Of course it's favorable to be in rich soil growing areas with water access and privacy. So, let's look at a few properties that fit the bill.

Just remember, if you buy a $60,000 property with 10% down and a $400 per month mortgage, it's cheaper than that apartment. And if the SHTF soon, who's going to come calling when banks fail etc? I've found some in my search and these are only a few that I have bookmarked. There are hundreds like this:

pin.ca...
For Sale 320 Acres (Certified Organic) with Yardsite and Dugout Christopher Lake/Paddockwood, SK $125,000

DETAILS: * S 1/2-28-53-25w2 * adjoining Quarters of land in the R.M. of Paddockwood * certified organic * Lakeland Area of Saskatchewan * sub-dividable, subject to R.M. approval * 5 miles off major Highway #2 via good grid road * 30 minutes from Waskesieu and Candle Lake * 15 minutes from Anglin and Emma Lakes * 10 minutes from Christopher Lake * straddles the northern provincial forest boundary * contains excellent hunting and access to various RV trails * 180 acres of broke land seeded to an alfalfa/meadow brome mix * yardsite has a good, mature dugout and a hip roof barn with cement floor * power runs through the east quarter * school bus route LAND AND TAXES: * 2 quarter sections of land * taxes are approximately $600 per year

For Sale $39,900
3 Lots with House plus
2½ Acre Development Site
with creek running through
Invermay, Saskatchewan
pin.ca...
For Sale
2 BEAUTIFUL
Quarters of Land
R.M. of Mountain, Manitoba
$95,900
May consider reasonable offers.
pin.ca...

* a lovely river runs through this well-treed property * a creek runs from a small lake * 80 acres are previously worked and could be reworked for farming land * included with the purchase of the property: o two D7 Cats (one for parts) o hay rakes o seeder o two vehicles o metal cattle shed/shelter * the property is partially fenced (fence is in need of repair) * beautiful property for recreation, farming, or whatever you desire * several nice places to put a house or cabin * secluded location, 25 minutes to Pine River, 35 minutes to Winnipegosis

Ok, a little lower:
homes.point2.com...

$49,900 CAD Recreation land special. 159.90 total titled acres of combined bush, creek, sloughs, small lake, hills and 15 acres of cultivated grass land. Closest utilities are approximately 1/2 a mile away. Confined entrance from the south. Very private secluded wilderness retreat.

homes.point2.com...

$44,500 CADDon't miss out! Here is an opportunity to own a beautiful 9.79 acre parcel ten minutes southwest of Humboldt. This parcel is well treed with polar and spruce as well as some fruit trees.

Now what about BC?

www.landquest.com...

Price: $28,000 This property contains 28 deeded acres of timbered mountain pasture. Situated in the Chilcotin area of BC, near Williams Lake, this parcel offers excellent spring and summer grazing. The area boasts good populations of both deer and moose, and offers access to the recreational playground of the BC outdoors.

Water Rights too!
Size: 40 acres
Area: CARIBOO
Price: $30,000
www.landquest.com...

This 40 acre Davis Meadow parcel is situated just a short drive from Williams Lake in the Riske Creek area. This is a very good buy! Features to this property include: Water Licence (# 6358 at Riske Creek), large meadow, hay field, bush and trees with lots of wildlife. A great place for a person who likes to have a hideaway in the great outdoors.

Ok, these are just a few samples ( I AM NOT A REAL ESTATE AGENT) of what I found everyday while searching for my hole in the wall.

Now let's think about these large plots of land with a chicken coop. Eggs and friers aplenty! It's not difficult. I did this before and raised 100 chickens, 50 ducks (Had a Pond) and 20 turkeys. I fenced off a large treed area, let them run wild with a coop in the middle. Sure I lost some to animals but that's the game.
A small coop will do and it can be set up in a day.

I love the Chicken Tractor for small areas if needed!

Gardening is the way to go as we all know that not only is it cheaper but healthier to grow your own.
If these people can grow 3 tons of food per year, on 1/10th of an acre, in the city, what can you do?

How Much Food Can You Grow Around Your House?

Best Investment to make: Seeds!

Now this pack is $499 but there are lower price packs including Herbs and Medicine packs as well. This is only one site so look around. I like this one but the only problem is no wheat can come across the border. That's ok, I'm in Canada. I can find wheat!

www.non-hybrid-seeds.com...

The Heirloom Organics Farm Pack is designed for farms, large-scale storage, seed investment and for groups, large and small. This pack includes very large amounts of many vegetable, fruit, grain and legume varieties. The Heirloom Organics Non-Hybrid Farm Pack is the #1 selling large quantity non-hybrid seed set in the world. Whether you are supporting a commercial farm or simply storing a large quantity of seed for investment, the Heirloom Organics Non-Hybrid Farm Pack is the best value you can get.

What's included:

Farm Pack Seed List* oz. Barley Beans: Kentucky Wonder Beans: Strike Bush Beans: Pinto Beans: Great Northern Beans: Black Turtle Beans: Chickpea Beets: Early Wonder Broccoli: Green Sprouting Brussles Sprouts Cabbage: Golden Acre Carrots: Nantes Corn: Hickory King Cucumber: Marketeer Flax Kale: Blue Scotch Lettuce: Bibb Lettuce: Blk. Seeded Simp Lettuce: Paris Island Melon: Green Flesh Millet Oats Onion: Yel. Sweet Spanish Peas: Alaska Peas: Cal Black Eye Pepper: California Wonder Pumpkin: Small Sugar Radish: Cherry Belle Rye Spinach: Nobel Giant Squash: Green Hubbard Squash: Grey Zuccini Squash: Crookneck Squash: Waltham Butternut Swiss Chard: Fordhook Tomato: Roma Tomato: Beefsteak Turnip: Purple Top Watermelon: Sugar Baby Wheat

Added Bonus!

Many know me on ATS as a baker so I thought I'd put this up here as it was my inspiration to take the basics and go further. Simple, delicious and you may need it someday.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Anyway, that's it. Just wanted to show people that if you put all the info together, self sufficiency, or at least the start to getting there, can be achieved without being rich. Most of us are not the Elite but we can live like Kings if we choose!

Keep in mind that the Cob House is not a necessity. Find a nice section of land with an old house or shack and renew it. Or move a small building onto it. It can be done.

Good Luck!

edit on 5-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I really believe this is the future for many of us. And a future that we will welcome with open arms. A lot of us realize that we shouldn't be so reliant on these other outside entities and that we should be self sufficient and have smaller communities with like minded people. I just turned 21 and have a bit planned out for buying at least 20 acres of land on a river or creek for such purposes.

Thanks for this informational post, OP. Thanks also for making others aware this IS possible. All it needs is some love and dedication.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The funny thing is ,this is how it all started,until everyone started doing it and it became a city
Good on you for going back in time .The earth needs more people returning to the past ways

edit on 5-6-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
I really believe this is the future for many of us. And a future that we will welcome with open arms. A lot of us realize that we shouldn't be so reliant on these other outside entities and that we should be self sufficient and have smaller communities with like minded people. I just turned 21 and have a bit planned out for buying at least 20 acres of land on a river or creek for such purposes.

Thanks for this informational post, OP. Thanks also for making others aware this IS possible. All it needs is some love and dedication.

These properties are all over the place!

Many farmers sell off sections of un-used land for pennies just to get a few dollars and get out from under the taxes.

I keep telling my friends and family to just look and most importantly, just ask! A lot of farmers don't even know that that little 20 acre patch not being used is valuable to anyone.

Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Bless you.. Hell you were already blessed by attaining the confidence and the MEANS to do what a lot of us want to do and feel needs to be done.

Now that that's out of the way, how much do I have to pay you to get a 3 bedroom built on your land??? lol I kid..

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by jude11

Bless you.. Hell you were already blessed by attaining the confidence and the MEANS to do what a lot of us want to do and feel needs to be done.

Now that that's out of the way, how much do I have to pay you to get a 3 bedroom built on your land??? lol I kid..

Probably cheaper to get the land next to mine.

But I am going to be looking for 2 more couples to share this piece. Doing it alone is NOT the answer. It takes a village right?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Good for you!! I hope to do something similar when I'm retired (in about fifty years, but let's hope something like this is still possible then!) - family of mine have done just that and it seems like a fantastic lifestyle if nothing else.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm kidna of attached to America. You're in Canada right?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerialLurker
Good for you!! I hope to do something similar when I'm retired (in about fifty years, but let's hope something like this is still possible then!) - family of mine have done just that and it seems like a fantastic lifestyle if nothing else.

If you wait that long, it might be free for the taking.

I've always wanted to do this and now is the time. IMO

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by jude11

I'm kidna of attached to America. You're in Canada right?

Yup, Canada.

America has the same thing if you look but I have a feeling that Canada may be safer in a SHTF scenario.

Also, less people, more water, animals etc.

If it all goes bad, the border won't matter anyway. IMO.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm saving up lots of ideas for when the time is right for me
I would like to have a garden full of wild edibles from the area, I think you could pretty much just let it go feral and have a good crop with little work, a good supply of green veggies and things anyway that would be fairly resistant to the local pests. I've tried to grow bok choy and similar plants but they get absolutely ravaged by slugs and caterpillars, but I noticed theres a whole trove of "weeds" that are fine (and tasty) to eat and I've never seen them eaten by bugs

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

sounds good as long as you can get the internet

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Excellent post. Way to go. Best of luck to you on your new project, and
thanks for sharing. The Video links are great.

S&F

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevooo
reply to post by jude11

sounds good as long as you can get the internet

When I get to where I want to be...The Laptop will be used for a paperweight. lol

Didn't need it 15 yrs ago and won't need it 5 yrs from now.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Good job!

I just moved out of the small city I lived in and out of town a ways. I got 15 acres with 2 houses on it.
We live in one and if I find the right person (self sufficient like me) I will rent the other out of around $600 - $700 a month to get a little cash flow going.

the property has 2 chicken coops, a 1 acre garden area, a 50' x 75' fenced in dog kennel, 2 other 50' x 100' fenced in areas, a 2400 gallon cistern that collects rain water from the roof tops, 2 good wells and 15 very good producing fruit trees (apple, cherry, peach, plum, mulberries).

I am getting a few goats and a few pigs in a couple months.

The property set for 2 years empty and I finally made an offer on it. It was listed at $159,000 and I offered a low bid thinking they would reject it.

I offered $100,000 with 5% down and asked for a 10 year mortgage. They accepted.

My payments are $950 a month and it will be paid off free and clear in 10 years.

I can get $700 a month rent for the other house if I wanted to rent it and then I need only come up with $250 a month for the whole mortgage payment.

Look for properties that the owner will carry and you can find some deals since a ton of people just want to get out from under the properties.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I can get $700 a month rent for the other house if I wanted to rent it and then I need only come up with $250 a month for the whole mortgage payment.

Look for properties that the owner will carry and you can find some deals since a ton of people just want to get out from under the properties.

That's right!

Way to go. They are all over the place.

All you have to do is ask and offer. The worst thing anyone can say is ...no.

Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have a concern for you that I thought I would share.
Do you know if you own the water, mineral and timber rights to your land?
I mention this as it could come back to bite you in the rear.

I applaud your efforts at food and energy independence.
Best of luck to you

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I have a concern for you that I thought I would share.
Do you know if you own the water, mineral and timber rights to your land?
I mention this as it could come back to bite you in the rear.

I applaud your efforts at food and energy independence.
Best of luck to you

That's a good point to bring up. Especially in BC as there are a lot of mining concerns. Yes, I made sure of the resource rights.

In BC, many have had those problems with gold and water rights. I also believe the US has had its share of problems with oil being taken right out from underneath the land owner's house because they didn't secure the rights when they bought the property.

Good thing for people to know.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I dont even know if there exists a location or property in America where 63 acres of land would only cost a couple hundred dollars in property taxes!!!

Thats the killer that keeps normal folks forever bound to the system --- F'N property taxes.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hey Jude11,
You better rethink the cob house if your acreage is in Canada. Cob will not withstand the Canadian winters (especially the lows + winds). Cob is good for places like new mexico, Cali, Florida, the Carolinas.... But the Insulation value of even 2 foot wide wells will not be enough for your winter needs.

Your better off doing a strawbale house. Thats one of the only styles that will keep you toasty in the winter and can be budget friendly.

Im doing the same thing as you, only my acreage will be in the Appallachian Mountains. I was looking at cob for years, got books, studied, and visited some...but many owners tell me its good for 3 seasons but for winter its just too cold.

Straw bale is the way to go for your climate

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join