It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN Scientists Trap Antimatter for Almost 17 Minutes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

CERN Scientists Trap Antimatter for Almost 17 Minutes

www.pcmag.com

What happened to antimatter? That's the grand riddle that scientists are attempting to piece together, but it takes quite a bit of work to conduct experiments on the illusive mirror image of matter–anything that has a volume and occupies mass, to define matter in layman's terms.
But CERN scientists have now been able to isolate unstable antimatter for a grand total of nearly 17 minutes. That's a far cry from experiments performed last fall, when scientists were only able to record the presence of antimatter for fractions of seconds. The increased longevity should now give researchers the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This topic is way above my pay grade, but I know that there are quite a few members here who are interested in this subject.

The article goes onto to link to the full study that was published today on the nature.com site..

If you would like to check that out you can just click right below

Confinement of antihydrogen for 1,000 seconds

www.pcmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's a fascinating subject and something that I have been reading about since I was young lad. 17 seconds is an "eternity" when dealing with this phenomenon. Cheers for the link, great article.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Richard Feynman said "I think natures imagination is far more greater than man's."

In my opinion anti-matter is a schoolbook example of this statement. It is a freak-unstable condition of matter/energy which most likely is not supposed to be formed naturally, but is theoretically (and in extreme experimental conditions) possible...

It is impressive nonetheless but I very much doubt if we truly gain a greater understanding of nature by forcing it to do stuff we want to see.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

17 minutes that's amazing hats off to CERN amazing. I wonder if there were actual eye observations from video cams. Also the bonding material that held it is amazing itself as 1 can just imagine the brain work it took to build mini vacuum super cooled containment device that the anti matter didn't acknowledge as matter very hard work. S&F for the update and mind food

Be Well
Love Light Eternia

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
ahhh...more doodah, from the mystic anus of the occult....pure BS...

they are not gonna trap antimatter, dark matter, or the creator particle......pure opium nonsense.

Umm, doesn't the fact that they have just done this somewhat dilute your argument?

Super-symmetry is a foundational concept of particle physics and as a theory, is born out of attempts to explain what is observed.

This is just another experimental support for the theory.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
this is such good news!! I mean, the people who brought us nuclear war, gmos, and biowarfare are now harnessing particles that could annihilate the entire planet in a second. I'm sure it will have a great outcome.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

all they trapped is matter "IN THE PROCESS" of becoming anti matter.....how can you trap something that doesnt exist..actually, the essence of non mass...really its ridiculous...

what they have done is slowed down decaying of matter...once it becomes antimatter...then it doesnt exist, and they dont have sensors to read this...so they have only mapped the process up until it becomes antimatter...they havnt trapped antimatter itself...

really its like pure mystic BS...
edit on 5-6-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by berilium

I hear you, what you say leave the partical doors closed lol as we donts wants no anti particals slippen thru. Go make something more valuable for mankind that will support the species. Thing is I hear you but......... I do like science too though its very interesting.

Be Well
edit on 6/5/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by JacKatMtn

17 minutes that's amazing hats off to CERN amazing. I wonder if there were actual eye observations from video cams. Also the bonding material that held it is amazing itself as 1 can just imagine the brain work it took to build mini vacuum super cooled containment device that the anti matter didn't acknowledge as matter very hard work. S&F for the update and mind food

I have a hard time imagining that it can be seen...

Interesting find though.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Thanks for clarifying this in a professional manner Pharaoh as I was trying to understand your post.
Be Well

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
As I recalled the last article on this they were going to throw jelly (the antimatter) in the air and see what it does? Well what happened to that experiment or do they have to stabilize it more in order to see what this baby does?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

You do realise that the amounts they make are on the smallest of scales.

They haven't even made enough to fill a coffee cup. Even so, you would need more than the mass of the Earth to annihilate the planet.

When equal amounts are brought together, matter always 'wins', that is to say, there is some matter left over.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

as its said public technology is but at the tail end of actual techs existing on EA so I would think its possible, maybe not with the spoon feeding norm populace get but those who really are in the know probably have already seen it. Especially when considering reverse engineering ANYTHING.
Be well

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by splittheatom

You do realise that the amounts they make are on the smallest of scales.

They haven't even made enough to fill a coffee cup.

"coffee cup" is overstating the quantities by several orders of magnitude.

They have not made enough antimatter to fill 1/100 of a thimble.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DOUGH3914

Scientists at C.E.R.N.'s Antihydrogen Laser Physics Apparatus have trapped 309 antihydrogen atoms for 1,000 seconds using superconducting magnets. That's an enormous improvement—four orders of magnitude—over the only previous record for trapping antimatter: 38 antiatoms for 172 milliseconds in 2010. The scientists' goal is to determine how antimatter is influenced by gravity, specifically whether it falls up or down. While there have already been numerous attempts to complete this experiment, no sizable amount of antimatter has yet been trapped. This should change in the coming months, when scientists intend to cool a lump of antihydrogen atoms to determine if they rise or fall.

The existence of antimatter is one of the real stumpers in contemporary physics. If antimatter exists, which it does, then the universe should be composed of equal parts matter and antimatter, or so the logic goes. But antimatter is much more scarce than matter, at least in the parts of the universe we can observe. Studying the behavior of antimatter has proven difficult because it is highly unstable, exploding when it comes into contact with regular matter. It's this explosive potential that has fueled far-flung ideas about super-efficient energy production and ultra-powerful space crafts.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Version100

Yeah I guess I should have used a smaller scale.

Anyway this goes to show how creating this stuff isn't dangerous...untill we make it on the large scale, which will probably never happen. The energy produced per kilogram from a matter/antimatter collision is 9x10^16 J, so large scale production would never have to happen.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by splittheatom
reply to post by Version100

Yeah I guess I should have used a smaller scale.

Anyway this goes to show how creating this stuff isn't dangerous...untill we make it on the large scale, which will probably never happen. The energy produced per kilogram from a matter/antimatter collision is 9x10^16 J, so large scale production would never have to happen.

its not dangerous...its like trying to create ice in the furnass of a volcano....it will become unstable and always decay at a rate faster than the speed of light......and all this is to see if antimatter reacts to gravity...well untill they understand that gravity is a result of electromagnetic forces...then this experiment is a waste of time

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
To put the amount of antimatter created in this experiment into context:

CERN trapped 309 atoms of antimatter.

The head of a pin can hold approximately 5 Trillion hydrogen atoms.

They have a long way to go before antimatter is anything more than
a curiosity.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join