It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was atheism founded?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
The world is lost. Do atheists sleep well at night?

Um...I sleep perfectly fine. Sometimes a bit too well, but that's why I own an alarm.

What about.. since theism came up, they need to fight something tangible don't they? or are they just contra nothing? Somewhere deep inside I don't think atheism.

...this...there isn't really any grammatically coherent point here, so I'll move on.

Just hold on a sec. Atheism is a belief always opposing what the bible says. Isn't it just that?

Atheism is the lack of belief in any deity. I can accept other things that the Bible says, like that...water is wet. If the Bible says water is wet I, as an atheist, don't have to oppose that. Hell, I could (but don't) think that the Bible is awesome aside from the deity stuff.

Many need to truly consider the value of the bible. As it was shown to me it ..

I have, its value is found in its historical influence on society and its utility in helping us understand the influences behind certain actions and works of art and literature.

Belief makes one feel good.

To quote George Bernard Shaw:

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.

I think that thoroughly addresses the rest of your post, though I'll add one thing:
Where is the evidence in support of your claims about reality?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The attack by The OP is very telling isn't it. We atheists (actually I would call myself a humanist) are very happy with our lack of beliefs. The OP is clearly not happy otherwise he would have no need to go on the offensive.

What is he afraid of or angry about I wonder?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think due to all the respeonces being the same here: That the op has just shown him or herself, infact to be the one under the influence of the hate, confusion and oppression, since he cant handle that decides to post in what must be some kind of anger triggered by -whatever-

grats on outing yourself

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The world is lost. Do atheists sleep well at night? What about.. since theism came up, they need to fight something tangible don't they? or are they just contra nothing? Somewhere deep inside I don't think atheism.

World is not jet lost, but it is in war. Witch side are you on, for the people or just for the believers?

Just hold on a sec. Atheism is a belief always opposing what the bible says. Isn't it just that? Many need to truly consider the value of the bible. As it was shown to me it ..

Who told you that told you wrong. Ask yourself who told you that lies?
You would be surprised how many atheists read Bible, and not just Bible, other religion holy books too. When you do that you will see patterns you haven't saw before.

Example, try explaining this Bible quotes here:
nobeliefs.com...
Only when you have a lot more knowledge than you have now, you can say that Church or Bible teachings is not good.
Just saying.

Belief makes one feel good. It is trust, it is something tangible. One can feel it and is totally absorbed in it. Those who found faith aren't just happy because/ you can't just be happy about something that isn't true.

Drugs also make you feel good, that don't mean you should do it. Like when you get drunk and think people around you are friends whom you can trust. You can feel good on lots of ways.
Believe me, you can be happy about something that is not true.

I just want to say that faith is something real. Where's your imagination? You can't be dead already can you?

Faith is real, no doubt in that, real like my thoughts.
There are a lot of dead among living. Papa Benedict was in our country today and I saw thousands of zombies. You must be really dead from inside to look at this man as person closer to god than you or me.

You ignored all intelligent answers to your thread. What are you looking for?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
There is nothing that can't be accomplished by Jesus. Nothing. I have no money but I feel alive.

The bible is a very important book. Some just can't read.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ferumbra

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. From what I've always heard, agnostics have always been viewed as outsiders by both atheists AND theists, since they can't just make up their mind and join one side or the other.

To the OP, while I personally am an atheist I've never flamed anyone for their beliefs, agnostic, Muslim, Christian, or whatever you are. I also like to think that I have an open mind. While I reject the belief of an omnipresent, omnipotent deity on the grounds that science makes it rather unlikely, if irreversible proof of its (I'm not being rude, I just don't want to assign a gender) existence, I certainly wouldn't continue my disbelief. THAT's being close minded, just as you are. If I take a moment to consider the possibility of a god, would you consider the possibility that there isn't one?

Oh, and I actually have read parts of the bible, mainly the Old Testament. So yes, I do know how to read. And no, it hasn't altered my stance.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

There is nothing that can't be accomplished by Jesus. Nothing. I have no money but I feel alive.

The bible is a very important book. Some just can't read.
You'll feel more alive if you learn to shake anyone's hand or even hug them, regardless of what they believe.

It's good to feel concerned for others, but not through judgement and condemnation.
edit on 5/6/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Can't we just exist without people imposing their misunderstood beliefs on us? Leave us be!

If there were no religions and money there would be much less reason for people to be separated.

If you wish continue to believe in a book created by the rich and used as an excuse for mass slaughter.

Continue to ignore posts and continue your monologue... posting here isn't quite worth it...

...BTW you are far from Christ's consciousness and his teachings

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What's in a name nowadays? Since when did not believing or not being a part of a religion suddenly become its own religion in a sense?

Labels...Seems to make everybody stand-offish more than ever. The problem starts when we begin to ask each other "why" instead of "what" we all believe in. Without pure, individual, unique thoughts, the world has screeched to a halt and continues to spin in reverse, controlled secretly by today's conscience police parading around in ninja suits with a clip full of of guilt, fear and the constant subliminal reminders that we are weak and powerless unless someone feeds it to us with a spoon.

Everything that religion offers, does and must come from within. I create my strength and confidence, which at times can be very hard. I found my own way out of the maze which in the end leaves me feeling stronger than I was yesterday, without any attachments. Whats it to you, "what" and "why" I do the things I do and what beliefs carry me to those conclusions.

Just the word "convert" is a little hollow and robotic. Maybe you would garner a few more members with a better marketing strategy or a few extra television channels that I can eat my genetically modified food to. Or better yet, I can Tivo it so while I am at work judging everybody and being a jerk, I have the comfort of going home where I can feel better about myself. It's sad that the majority who are affiliated seem to take the parts they don't like, or don't want to follow, and allow that tiny voice inside of their head to make excuses. The warm and fuzzy blanket of religion has turned into a wet sleeping bag, no room for anybody else.

I'm proud to be undecided, undeclared, in question, confused, on the fence, forever open minded, what ever herd you try to corral me into.

As always I feel more tense and frustrated after playing a game of shirts and skins so please excuse my tone.

~Glu

edit on 5-6-2011 by ElmersGluon because: Spelling

edit on 5-6-2011 by ElmersGluon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by theseraphim
reply to post by ferumbra

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. From what I've always heard, agnostics have always been viewed as outsiders by both atheists AND theists, since they can't just make up their mind and join one side or the other.

I think of personal believing. As I see it, it is very far from picking side as you say. For example, picking religion is really dumb, but on other hand, having no personal beliefs is maybe even more ignorant and maybe even more dangerous. So for me there is really no option that I ever choose side from this two.

So how would you describe beliefs that do not search for god, but still try to understand self. Understanding of self, looking at possibilities of "higher self", searching for hidden or secret personal powers. Trying to look at world through something that don't exist even in our thoughts. Being aware that there are far more bigger understanding of reality and imagining that point of view.

From human point of view, things im talking about are god himself, but I dont search for god, I search for understanding on nature that can very easily lead to what would people call god. So, you see, there is no option at all that i change my mind, or i believe anyone who has this understanding of things.

From my point of view, being atheist is more dangerous than being believer because atheist wont search for personal powers or greater understanding that is maybe even not possible by man. Believer can with time go away from religion, but he will still be on path of searching something.

What do atheist search?
I really dont know how can atheist think of all that weird things passing in life from time to time.
It is kinda weird for atheist who like to think logic and tactic, that he somehow closes the door to world of wonders. It is state of believing that all things can be explained by pure physics or laws. What will you do with things that dont make sense at all?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
www.wikihow.com...

Oh, and if anybody is interested, follow the link above to your salvation.

Kinda made my skin crawl while reading it.

Happy Hunting!

~Glu

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Alright then. Move a mountain for me please. Or how about you try drinking some hydrochloric acid? What about allowing a snake to bite you? Will you raise the dead?

If all things are possible, then please do that which we consider impossible.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

All things are possible. Just add faith. Something atheists lack. Madness, It wouldn't hurt to open up your mind just a tad bit to the awesome intellect that god gave you. logically speaking of course
....( learn some theology)Your to trapped in the material to understand (sickened)
( Your smarter than that!!!, Ive read all your threads, and posts..

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

All things are possible. Just add faith.

You and I both know that this is a false statement. There are literally millions of this that are not possible, even with faith. If I had faith, would I be able to bench press 15,000lbs? Or could I be able to run 200mph? I mean, if I could, then sign me up. I'll be one faithful SOB.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
When was any idea 'founded'

While there may be athiest churches sprouting up (i hope not) It seems entirely irrelevant to question when a spiritual or non-spiritual idea came to be.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Im asking to use ones intellect, not ones imagination.asking to run 200 mph is a contradiction of terms.god is a god of law.not just physical law, but spiritual law too.what your asking is not within reason.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
"Good vs. Bad" "Heaven vs Hell" "God vs Satan""Angels vs Demons"... Man it's so childish...
Let me tell you something. If I were ever to arrive to hell or heaven, Satan and God better pray I never make it there. Because if I do, I'll be blowing that place up so badly, no one is gonna even know those places existed.

Now go f*** yourself!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by adam76

Nah it says whoever does not know God will be saved rather than the ones that know him but turn away

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

Oh, I've read theology and apologetics. Far too much of it for my liking actually, but it's hard to claim any certainty without reading the opposition.

Now, if all things are possible, please move a semi-geographical landmark for me...I say semi-geographical because it is man-made. It's an old dump located in Maghtab, Malta. They're trying to repurpose it into a park area, as it's not been in use for decades, but I'd rather it just not be there, so I'd like to see a Christian move it. Hell, it'll save a lot of our souls too, as we recently voted in favor of legalizing divorce.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Atheisms founding i guess would be the first time and conscious being became aware of its own consciousness. Everyone is born atheist, we are taught theism, it is ingrained in our upbringing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join