It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was atheism founded?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Since when do people go against people who tell the truth? Maybe there needed to be more tact from the side of the believers or atheists just don't understand the true nature of people. Atheism is a delusion, a forced mental disease worse than you may expect. It's root is hate, confusion and oppression.

First we had menslaughterers, now there is atheism.

You will be judged. I hope you realise your end is near.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Atheists base their lack of religion on hate, confusion and oppression. ?!

I think you will find that Atheists base their *lack of* beliefs on the lack of religous facts.

Every religion that cliams to base its religous roots on artifacts or storys from gods are in fact propogated by men, not gods, just men, their faith on these man made 'facts' is what the average Atheist have the biggest problem with.

Personnely im Agnostic since im open to future PROOF that god is there and he cares.

edit on 5-6-2011 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
Since when do people go against people who tell the truth? Maybe there needed to be more tact from the side of the believers or atheists just don't understand the true nature of people. Atheism is a delusion, a forced mental disease worse than you may expect. It's root is hate, confusion and oppression.

You can't say that atheism is people go against people who tell truth. That implies that believers tell truth, and that is not logic or true. I believe most of atheists are agnostics, they believe in something, not god as you say it.

To say that they will be judged implies that god or nature itself asks for revenge. That is just selfish human thinking.

At the end, it is not worth of writing at this thread, im aware of that but i dont know why i did it.
edit on 5-6-2011 by ferumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
what are you talking about we are born agnostic or if you want to call it atheism. we have to be taught about religion. what about the jungle people of the Amazone they going to hell because they never heard of your relgion
......plz

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferumbra

You can't say that atheism is people go against people who tell truth. That implies that believers tell truth, and that is not logic or true. I believe most of atheists are agnostics, they believe in something, not god as you say it.

To say they will be judged implies that god or nature itself asks for revenge. That is just selfish human thinking.

At the end, it is not worth of writing at this thread, im aware of that but i dont know why i did it.

Very well put!
Thank you! - You saved me the trouble!

Jamie.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Atheism was founded the moment Theism was founded.. the two have always been together.. some of us just choose not to believe in fairy tales ..

Morality is not based on belief in a deity.. morality is tied to compassion for other living things, morality is the ability to reason and understand that I shouldn't treat others as I would not want to be treated.. the golden rule doesn't belong to a church..

A lot of horrible deeds have been done in the name of God.. Hitler himself was a religious man.. the Christian crusades were one of the bloodiest and darkest times in the name of God... the middle east is a powder keg in the name of religion..

Atheism is not evil, Christians are not evil, Muslims are not evil .. individuals are evil.. and the danger is when those evil minded individuals form an idea together.. that's when people suffer

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Athiesm is a term given to people who dont believe in a god......why do people have to label non believers?? Its the only thing where there is a term for not believing in something.

God...the bible...its all lies written by sheep herders who had no understanding about life.

I feel sorry for you.....im sorry your parents indoctrinated you into fearing and believing this nonsense

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwaveWhen was atheism founded?

Atheism was not "founded". It was the default. Religion was started in the presence of atheism.

Since when do people go against people who tell the truth?

Since there is no evidence to back up this "truth".

Maybe there needed to be more tact from the side of the believers

Ya think? Is that what you're trying to be with this thread? Tactful? You failed.

...or atheists just don't understand the true nature of people.

Atheists ARE people. We have at least as good an understanding of the nature of people as anyone else does.

Atheism is a delusion, a forced mental disease worse than you may expect. It's root is hate, confusion and oppression.

That's funny... I've heard the exact same thing about religion...

Menslaughterers? Are you comparing atheism to murder?
Jesus!

You will be judged.

Reading over your post, it appears I already have been.
Fortunately, it is of no consequence.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Brilliant

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Religion was founded on hatred, discrimination, murder, genocide, brutal torture, false beliefs.
Religion is anti human
The only reason religion is so widespread today is because 2 centuries back when we were uncivilized animals, anyone who didn't believe was hanged / stoned / burned on a cross / had their guts torn out.

You think people want to follow that?
Religion does a lot of good, but it's cost humanity more than it will EVER be able to help.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I want your babies. Nice job there.

Jamie.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It was probably founded when Jesus got married and had his kids.
Or maybe even when he was born since he is a bastard.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
what's so interesting is that JESUS him self did not bring a religion, he showed away.......religion is man made.....

only saying......

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The world is lost. Do atheists sleep well at night? What about.. since theism came up, they need to fight something tangible don't they? or are they just contra nothing? Somewhere deep inside I don't think atheism.

Just hold on a sec. Atheism is a belief always opposing what the bible says. Isn't it just that? Many need to truly consider the value of the bible. As it was shown to me it ..

Belief makes one feel good. It is trust, it is something tangible. One can feel it and is totally absorbed in it. Those who found faith aren't just happy because/ you can't just be happy about something that isn't true.

belief is about happiness. Jesus..

I just want to say that faith is something real. Where's your imagination? You can't be dead already can you?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The world is lost. Do atheists sleep well at night? What about.. since theism came up, they need to fight something tangible don't they? or are they just contra nothing? Somewhere deep inside I don't think atheism.

Just hold on a sec. Atheism is a belief always opposing what the bible says. Isn't it just that? Many need to truly consider the value of the bible. As it was shown to me it ..

Belief makes one feel good. It is trust, it is something tangible. One can feel it and is totally absorbed in it. Those who found faith aren't just happy because/ you can't just be happy about something that isn't true.

belief is about happiness. Jesus..

I just want to say that faith is something real. Where's your imagination? You can't be dead already can you?

I love that in relation to religion you ask "Where's your imagination" .. it's almost as if you're fully aware it's an imagined fairy tale ..

I won't bother with the rest of what you said, it's a bit insulting that you have such a misguided view on humanity in general
edit on 5-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

You're being irrational and blind, and as you can see you're getting a lot of flak from other members because of it.

Just to remind you: history has shown us that people can act "evil" regardless of what they believe in. The important message of most religions is simple: love -- but practitioners and others alike do not see this. Things get twisted, it turns into a bandwagon, and we get stupidity like the Inquisition, the Crusades, all the years of oppression and condemnation, and so on.

This is probably why atheism is becoming popular: "holy men" caused wars, torture, and suffering, and people saw this and think, "This is supposed to be the will of a benevolent God?" It snowballed into what we have today, and now some atheists see God as something synonymous to Santa. It doesn't help that many "followers" view God as an old man with a big white beard sitting on a throne up in the clouds... silly!

Religion is man-made, but was initially meant to show people a path to enlighten their spirituality and get closer to God, but it's up to the person to walk the path (by real meditation, prayer, compassion, tolerance, love, temperance, etc.). When religion begins to force people down that path, usually by bloodshed or blind judgement, people will not stand for it and react negatively. Action:reaction. You push someone 100% this way, they will push you back 100% the other way, resulting in 0.

edit: notice how I said "get closer to God"?

If you can accept a God who coexists with death camps, schizophrenia, and AIDS, yet remains all-powerful and somehow benign, then you have faith, and you have accepted the covenant with Yahweh.... If you know yourself as having an affinity with the alien or stranger God, cut off from this world, then you are a Gnostic, and perhaps the best and strongest moments still come to what is best and oldest in you, to a breath or spark that long precedes this Creation.

You must seek to find. However, you will not find Him in the clouds, or in the sea, but in yourself and in others who act in His will (love). We're meant to be seekers and knockers [of doors]. While we're here, we need to find knowledge of the divine in order to see it (duh!). It does not just fall into our laps when we say, "Lord, lord!" (Matthew 7:21-23), and it takes more than simple faith to find. Faith is our root, but not the whole tree and its fruits. The fruits are God, and God is love.
edit on 5/6/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Atheism is a delusion, a forced mental disease worse than you may expect. It's root is hate, confusion and oppression.

Atheism is a simple lack of belief. Lack of belief has no "founding" date.

Atheism isn't about claiming there are no Gods, that's another positive claim.

Atheists shareone thing in common; a lack of belief. There is no "faith" involved with labelling yourself an Atheist. There's no pre-subscribed dogma that you must agree to; The burden of proof rests on the person making the positive claim:-

-"There is a God"
-"God is good"
-"There is no God".

all unprovable, undemonstratable positive claims.

Many Philosophers throughout history have opposed the dogma and claims made by the Religious, or even claims made by Fortune Tellers, Mediums and Astrologists.

Agnostic Atheism

Agnostic atheism, also called atheistic agnosticism, is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity, and agnostic because they do not claim to know with certainty whether any deity exists. The agnostic atheist may be contrasted with the agnostic theist, who does believe that one or more deities exist but does not claim to have absolute knowledge of such.

edit on 5/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Warning, what you are about to read is a response to a whole load of ignorance.

Since when do people go against people who tell the truth?

Right off the bat, a poisoning of the well. You're trying to imply that atheists are those who oppose the truth.

Maybe there needed to be more tact from the side of the believers or atheists just don't understand the true nature of people.

I'm sorry, but what don't we understand of the nature of people? Also, people have a true nature? I was under the impression that humanity was so wide and varied that trying to pin down behavioral patterns all the way down to a 'nature' was largely impossible.

Atheism is a delusion, a forced mental disease worse than you may expect.

Why is it delusional? Because it is a rejection of the belief in a deity? What is delusional about not believing in any deity?

It's root is hate, confusion and oppression.

Why is that?

...what? Atheism predates Christianity you dolt. Hell, it predates theism.

Hey! Here I was worrying about people u2uing me threats of hell and here is a whole thread devoted solely to that ignorance.

I'm sorry, but please go off and preach on a street corner, I'm sure it would at least be more amusing.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

It is amazing that you preceive the state of the Universe and human consciousness exactly backwards. Atheists are usually quite happy for other people to plod along with their particular religious beliefs, building expensive and huge edifices, and paying a percentage of their incomes toward keeping the priests on the pulpits every designated religious day.

On the flip side, atheists have to put up with "You will burn in Hell" types of shouting from the believers.

The crux of the matter is that you folks MUST believe in something otherwise you would all go crazy (or invent something to believe). The atheist need not believe in anything--literally--and happily go along in life looking and questioning everything and being quite content in the mystery of it all.

edit on 5-6-2011 by Aliensun because: fixin'

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Sorry OP, but you are way off and insulting people for no reason.
Live and let be.

You are happy in believing, well I am happy for you. Use it has positive energy.
I'm happy believing in myself and the world around me, it is my positive energy.

You can't judge people for their beliefs or preferences, no one was ever stupid to think differently.

<<   2  3 >>

join