It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People on the Interent are...real people!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

I do this: I think, I write, say, do and live the same -- and treat everyone like I want to be treated ---

hmmm-

Guess I am too "deep"! Honest? Caring? Open? --- Please don't listen to me -- I am not "A GREAT LEADER" with all those traits! -- Vote for the other guy who does the other stuff --lie, bs, cheat, build dream land from nothing real or possible --- follow him/her!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I mentioned this experience a couple times at least, in the past, here. At another forum not ATS, a somewhat long time back now, I got swarmed by a bunch of these guys who are self annointed debunkers. I had only ----- mentioned something about myself. I wasn't seeking money, worship, and I'm not someone with a book (or cd's, or website) am not a celebrity in any genre. I made the mistake of disclosing a disability and they used it against me, threw it back in my face, and one of them began to make threats that if I did not send him my own personal military personnel records immediately, I would be labeled by them a liar hoaxer and fraud.
I WAS TERRORIZED. I WAS HURT. INJURED. I laid down and was nearly siezuring in pannick attacking anxiety. My stomach was hurting really really badly. My cats were wandering around and knew I was waylaid by horrible emotional mental and physical pain. They wanted to help me, I think, but didn't know what to do. One of them plopped himself alongside me, (this one is otherwise --- normally --- not the affectionate one) to try and comfort me. GOD, I LOVE those 'kids'. I had the misfortune of being done to, by psychopaths before, but not this VICIOUS.
I will NEVER FORGET AND FORGIVE it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
I've noticed this and i'm hard pressed to think its going to stop anytime soon. I think we're going thru some kind of social evolution. We're at a stage where the intimacy of human interaction is failing. Its time to learn some new people skills and apply them to how we use our social media. You did a great job of presenting this info.Very interesting....

I think human interaction has always failed to some degree. Its not just a stage we are developing into. People are going to find things that repulse them about others attitudes, and ways of thinking.

There are just different types of people. I tend to say it how I see it, while my sister is one who will passively agree with everyone to their face, then talk crap about them behind their back. She wonders why she has issues with the people she works with , and they come up to her asking if she actually said this ,or that, which she will deny , yet it is true.

I really want to see the good in people, and I try, but when they throw stuff out there that seems totally unfair, and so ego based..its hard not to call them out on it. Some people like that about me,others don't.

All I know, is I'd rather be the person who says it to the persons face, then the person who says it behind their backs ...and then worse yet..denies it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
I mentioned this experience a couple times at least, in the past, here. At another forum not ATS, a somewhat long time back now, I got swarmed by a bunch of these guys who are self annointed debunkers. I had only ----- mentioned something about myself. I wasn't seeking money, worship, and I'm not someone with a book (or cd's, or website) am not a celebrity in any genre. I made the mistake of disclosing a disability and they used it against me, threw it back in my face, and one of them began to make threats that if I did not send him my own personal military personnel records immediately, I would be labeled by them a liar hoaxer and fraud.
I WAS TERRORIZED. I WAS HURT. INJURED. I laid down and was nearly siezuring in pannick attacking anxiety. My stomach was hurting really really badly. My cats were wandering around and knew I was waylaid by horrible emotional mental and physical pain. They wanted to help me, I think, but didn't know what to do. One of them plopped himself alongside me, (this one is otherwise --- normally --- not the affectionate one) to try and comfort me. GOD, I LOVE those 'kids'. I had the misfortune of being done to, by psychopaths before, but not this VICIOUS.
I will NEVER FORGET AND FORGIVE it.

That is really sad, and going way beyond honesty that might hurt someone. That's vicious manipulating , and I have seen it before. Admit a weakness or problem, and they are all over you. Very sad , I'm sorry you had to go through that, but stay strong...and remember not everyone is like they are , it just takes awhile to find the ones you can trust . Its beautiful that your cats comforted you.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Well after reading your post, I calmly came to a decision.

Sure people are "real" on the internet.

BUT:
People need social interaction.
Not pictures and phrases.
We humans need physical contact.
I truly believe the internet is changing human characteristics.

To me, all this social networking is taking away the:

Human Element

Therefore, making life seem less reality and more fantasy.
But...it's just my opinion.

Now, I understand people have internet friends and connections that some people lack...
But what kind of person would you be if you had a friend and never actually knew them?
Looks, personality, charm...the whole enchilada.
I wouldn't say that's a friend, to me at least.

Voice communications builds bonds.
Actual encounters with friends build memories.
Just sending messages to people is being short and dull.

Who wants that?

Then again, I definitely don't use the internet nearly enough to make lasting friendships.
Unless I already knew the person beforehand.

Again, all said in my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Thank you so much for your empathy, I hope that angels guide you to happiness in this dark and rough reality.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Nicely written OP....but a little too "new age" for me, sorry.

I really can't see too many people going through those "visualization" exercises before they enter anonymous cyber space!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The internet has been a way for me to meet new people in real life.

I've happily been living together with a man I met on a forum 6 years ago.

It's not only males I've met but have made good female friends also.

My problem in the early days on the net was taking people seriously which resulted in many broken hearts and hurt feelings.
That was a wild experience with no moderators.

I now have very little internet feelings and my skin is tough.

But still each and every one of you are very real to me.

S&F OP

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
I was thinking about the psychology of interacting with people in forums like ATS and other ones, and I realized there is a huge "dehumanizing" effect going on. Basically what happens is it is easy to treat other people online in any number of ways: you can play mind games, ego games, troll games, power games, and there is usually not much consequence for you. But there might be for the other person, which is the ugly side people don't usually want to talk about.

i thought we were on ats to discuss news, ideas & knowledge, not to treat people in whatever ways, good or bad.

with this in mind, ego shall therefore remain out of the way to clear the path to enlightening debates

imo this topic is meant to facebook, meetic or those social network bulls*** concept

FREE TIP OF THE DAY : if you want to meet people, switch off your computer and go out !

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

FREE TIP OF THE DAY : if you want to meet people, switch off your computer and go out !

I don't think its about meeting people as much as it is about exchanging ideas ,and information. The convenience of doing it on the net is, you don't have to get to really know them .

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Funny as I consider people on the net just as fake as in real life. I expect people to get rid of social, culture and group bonds and tell what they think. Now they just hide their identity in virtual bonds. Some are different just as in real life.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I miss the avatar without the burka

and usualy a burka doesnt cover the eyes

WE WANT UR PRETTY EYES BACK

im starting a petition to reinstate your avatar normaly

many will agree with me .. for that im sure
edit on 6/6/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
First of all, this is an excellent topic. Thank you PG.

Sometimes I think the internet in general, and social networking sites in particular, should be reserved for those who already have a certain amount of real life experiences under their belt. Transferring these experiences to the internet from someone in, say, Maine to someone in Australia, or vice versa, (pick your countries and states) on a daily basis by millions of mature people could really help a lot of people in a lot of ways. It could help the human race as a whole mature. And it does. But there's just something about the fact that we have to couple this positive attribute with a negative one, like Facebook for example where people talk for the sake of hearing themselves, that seems to negate the positive more than it should.

You also have people who simply do not have a lot of social skills to where daily positive and productive interactions with people in real life is a realistic thing to expect from them. Even before the advent of the internet, some people just couldn't hone their social skills as well as others. There are people out there who try. They have years of experience dealing with people face to face, but there is something blocking them from making a 100% "connection" with people. Writing to people, talking to them on the phone or on the internet just seems to work better for some people. It's not that they haven't tried to make a human connection; they have. But for some people, it just doesn't "click."

For these people, the internet is a godsend. It gives them a voice where once they were silent. It gives them a presence where once they were invisible and it gives them an identity where once was blank piece of paper. And let me tell you something, it pisses them off to no end that it's being used by a growing number of tweens who should be outside playing baseball, softball, falling in love, getting their hearts broke, just..........living, who instead feel its more relevant to tweet their BFF's that.....OMG!! Selena is dating Justin!!!! Gag me with a spoon!!!

Again, excellent topic, but I think it's kind of sad that we even needto have a topic like this.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Good post. This is a place where human beings have come together to try to understand more.

Just because you think you 'know' the truth, it does not make it so. Nearly everyone is here for the same reason so we should lose the personal attacks and treat each other as friends.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EspyB
Good post. This is a place where human beings have come together to try to understand more.

Just because you think you 'know' the truth, it does not make it so. Nearly everyone is here for the same reason so we should lose the personal attacks and treat each other as friends.

friends??..takes awhile in real life scenarios before I call people friends....hardly think I will think of a bunch of people behind avatars as friends , especially when I disagree with what they are posting.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I don't have that much of a problem feeling that people are real on the Internet. My Achilles heel is trying to associate those hunks of metal on the road with actual people. They're not just devices of frustration trying to slow me down when I'm driving. Occasionally I'll be frustrated with someone driving 35 in a 65 and then I pass them and see it's a poor old woman that can't be a day under 90, and I feel bad for being angry about them driving poorly.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Please remove the cyber-burqa. I promise I won't hate. Just sayin...

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

MOTF!

People on the Internet are.... real people! (But their avatar is borrowed)

Seriously guys, this is from some BYU craze that was happening back in 2004. Partygirl (22 yrs. old) was probably in jr. high when this photo was taken. Stop obsessing over every avatar as if it was THE person posting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e1409b320b7.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 6-6-2011 by savannah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by savannah

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

MOTF!

People on the Internet are.... real people! (But their avatar is borrowed)

Seriously guys, this is from some BYU craze that was happening back in 2004. Partygirl (22 yrs. old) was probably in jr. high when this photo was taken. Stop obsessing over every avatar as if it was THE person posting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e1409b320b7.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 6-6-2011 by savannah because: (no reason given)

Im sorry you took all that time to spell it out for me. My sarcasm misses most ill admit. If its raining, dont tell me its wet outside. No obsessing here, just crappy puns on my part.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing out the reminder about the avatars. I think avatars can give clues to personality traits of the member though.
edit on 6-6-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join