It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millionaire runs down tourists, drives away, gets no jail time by paying off victims families

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
Yes, this is just wrong and is not Justice, but it was the widows that accepted this.

In order for this sentencing to occur, the widows had to agree with it. If they had disagreed, then he would have received a stronger sentence. Most likely it would not have been an appropriate sentence, but it would have been more severe.

True enough...but let me ask you..Do you think the two people killed would have accepted? The widow thing is sad and all, but that is not what the Justice is supposed to be about...the Justice is supposed to be about the men he killed...The Justice is supposed to be for them...Not their Widows.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That's not the millionaire's fault that he can get away with it...That's the families fault that value money more than their relative's lives. It's all relative...In fact much of human society is like this despite how much we try to ignore it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Where are the Boondock Saints when you need them?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I agree with you, man.....How much cash was there spouses life worth? That is just as sick as the house arrest sentence. Couldn't they just sue him after the sentencing anyways? (if money was the only thing they cared about)

I mean, at least make it look like you loved your spouse....

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This is outrageous.

Justice is here not just for the widows or family. It is here primarily fro the victims, and for society. How come this was even considered by a court is beyond my understanding, let alone accepted..

edit on 4/6/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

This is just unacceptable 50 + Driving Violations and now he kills 2 people for his habits. He should atleast get 10-20 years for manslaughter.

Where is the JUSTICEWhen does the Public Execution Begin Because that would be a good way to take care of this sicko

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
As shocking as this is to us mere mortals, it is not a precedent.
I remember not so long ago seeing another story about an investment banker hitting a cyclist and driving off from the scene. Felony charges were dropped in favour of two trivial misdemeanors, so he basically got off as jail time would have impacted his standing and career.

Instances like this make a mockery of the whole concept of "law" as it's plain to see that those with the means can buy their way out of anything.

edit on 4-6-2011 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Further to my previous comments, I have just read a couple of articles about the incident, one from the UK Independent and another from the Sun-Sentinel in Florida.
What really stood out were the comments by the police:

The whereabouts of Ryan LeVin were unclear Tuesday, but Police Sgt. Frank Sousa said he will probably turn himself in to authorities at some point this week.

In other words, they police didn't seem to be actively seeking LeVin but were instead waiting for him to turn himself in, accompanied no doubt by an expensive lawyer. Of course, this delay also gave time for any drink / drugs to get out of his system!

Money talks!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Where is the viral video of him wrestling alligators in the everglades. Rich folks and politicians get away with too much. Sometimes the law is obstructive to justice.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Big tax cuts and free get-out-of-jail cards for murder for the wealthy folk!! All as American as apple pie!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Talk about Sharia Law. That is the way courts are handled there. Kill somebody pay money and walk. Remember the guy who just bought his way out of Pakistan for shooting somebody?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
Yes, this is just wrong and is not Justice, but it was the widows that accepted this.

In order for this sentencing to occur, the widows had to agree with it. If they had disagreed, then he would have received a stronger sentence. Most likely it would not have been an appropriate sentence, but it would have been more severe.

True enough...but let me ask you..Do you think the two people killed would have accepted? The widow thing is sad and all, but that is not what the Justice is supposed to be about...the Justice is supposed to be about the men he killed...The Justice is supposed to be for them...Not their Widows.
This is not an easy reply, but I shall give it my best effort.

The only actual question, has no basis in reality, since dead men do not think.

I believe what you are actually asking is if I think this is justice.
As already stated- "This is just wrong, and it is not justice."

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

By comparison, a South Florida driver who pleaded guilty to a similar hit-and-run crash with one fatality was sentenced Friday to nine years in prison and ordered to pay $5,000 in restitution.

As the says goes money talks and the poor go to prison. This joke of a judge should be removed from the bench for allowing this to happen.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
(beep beep) Whooo got the key to ma beema....

Seriously, that's messed up that it happened to those people, but if they're willing to take the payout over his doing jailtime I see no problem with it. Besides, to a "rich" guy, losing money is quite like jailtime.

Now, if the court ordered it, and it was a crappy payout, then no, not cool one bit.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Benchwarmer because: not finished

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The Judge in this case should be thrown off the bench, and then be audited just to be sure there was no bribe being taken.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wow! Talk about a bunch of judgmental pr*cks on this thread! I'm sorry for having to say that but the comments on this thread about the widows and their motivations just burned me.

You know nothing about these women (nor do I). You don't know if they loved their husbands or not, you know nothing of their situations, you know nothing! Yet, you don't hesitate to condemn them just because of some preconceived notion that just because they took the money it MUST mean that they care more about the money than their husbands. The two have NOTHING to do with each other! Their husbands are dead and gone. You don't know if they're left with children to feed and house. You don't know if their husbands left a life insurance policy to help them. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THESE WOMEN. Stop judging them just because YOU want justice. This is not about you.

In case you haven't figured it out, justice is a naive notion in this world. Grow up and grieve for them instead.

Just so there's no confusion, this is what I'm talking about:

Originally posted by Now_Then
And the widows! What kind of cash grabbing monsters are they? Probably happily got their asses charmed off them through the entire ordeal, shed a few crocodile tears of course and back in time for cocktails by the pool rolling in tanned shallow men hanging off their every word - all it took was the death of their husbands, landed on their feet there then! Don't know how they could live with them selves.

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes But what about the part the two widows played in this ? They were only too happy to accept a fat pay-cheque rather than fighting for justice to be served.

If he causes another death or serious injury through his recklessness, then the widows of his victims will also have blood on their hands.

Originally posted by cahlmac
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Agreed, they have a lot to answer for in the whole situation!

Originally posted by laiguana
That's not the millionaire's fault that he can get away with it...That's the families fault that value money more than their relative's lives. It's all relative...In fact much of human society is like this despite how much we try to ignore it.

Originally posted by blend57
How much cash was there spouses life worth? That is just as sick as the house arrest sentence. Couldn't they just sue him after the sentencing anyways? (if money was the only thing they cared about)

I mean, at least make it look like you loved your spouse....

edit on 4/6/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
just more proof that we have a perfect and equal justice system

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

blame the victim for injustice. I know what you're saying, but come on now. ANd no not all of human society is like this, just for the rich. He's grounded, his house arrest is in his parent's condo, he is grounded, no more allowance for a week.

this is gold,

"I think he hardly bought his way out of this," Bogenschutz said after the court hearing.

PS, it's never the rich guy's fault, they are educated, AND they got money
edit on 4-6-2011 by dl2one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
And this is just a millionaire.

Just think what the bankers get away with. Oh yes, they bankrupt countries, fund dictators killing hundreds of thousands and start wars killing millions... and nobody goes to jail.

America, the land where money can buy everything, even the lives of people.

Billionaire? Owns sex slaves? Pedophile? That'll be 13 months in a for rich guys jail

The guy is CFR, Trilateral Commission, former board member of Rockefeller University and a member of the New York Academy of Sciences. No surprise the guy has not been sentenced to the death penalty.

America has no justice system.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
And people here on ATS are suprised why so many Americans hate rich people. The fact that in a country that advocates equal legal rights to all people, no matter what shape, color or sex, also advocates and extension of rights to those who can pay for it. It's no suprise that people see a class war between the rich and poor.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join