It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millionaire runs down tourists, drives away, gets no jail time by paying off victims families

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

The victims families chose the punishment, the judge just followed through.. Y'all should be more mad at the vics money hungry families..

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This is something I would expect from a third world country. I mean geez...This is crazy! Just more proof that American government caters to the rich. I guess anyone can be a judge these days, even if they don't know or understand the laws. They basically do what they want.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

We have our opinions and you have yours.

Deal with it and move on.
Unless I'm mistaken isn't this a forum where people are allowed to express their opinions on the story or theory put forth??

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I am sure the state could prosecute this crime if it chose to do so. Independently of any monies owed to the widows. Restitution is part of most sentences that I hear about in the news anyway. I will bet Judges and prosecutors have been the recipients of money as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Why did you quote my post in your rant ?

I made no comment regarding the level of love they may or may not have had for their husbands. Nor did I say anything that implied that they cared more about money than they did for their husbands.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Another angle I did think of, but didn't mention before, concernes his name - Levin is a Jewish surname!

Now, it's not outside the realms of possibility that a rich Jewish family has favours owed by people in high office, hence the leniency shown to this criminal. It sure wouldn't be the first time.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
so ,this has been the fact since thousands of years ,money and power govern justice . as for the poor and the not rich(ahem middle class) ,they have to suck it up and accept their responsibilities because they can do jack squat against rich . only westerners believe the propaganda that there is truth and justice in their nations

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
A guy told me once while we were BOTH sitting in jail, "you get as much justice as you can afford", and its VERY TRUE

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I am sure the state [color=5EFB6E]could prosecute this crime if it chose to do so. Independently of any monies owed to the widows. Restitution is part of most sentences that I hear about in the news anyway. I will bet Judges and prosecutors have been the recipients of money as well.
Key word↑↑↑ = '[color=5EFB6E]could'

IF the widows did not agree with this sentencing, it would not be a choice for the State. There is a reason why the amount of money that Mr. LeVin agreed to pay the widows, is of an undisclosed amount. I guarantee that this undisclosed amount of money is much more than the "restitution of most sentences."

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Seems if you have money you can do what ever you like. Reminds me a bit like that roman polansky case. I dont know but to me the guy should have gone to jail. Not be confined to mummys and daddys care. After all they have totally failed in the upbringing of this a$$hole.
edit on 5-6-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Wow! Talk about a bunch of [color=B1FB17]judgmental pr*cks on this thread!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a7a960044ee.jpg[/atsimg]

You did not directly quote me within your babbling gibberish, but the fact that my name stands out above any other word, is not acceptable. I am left with no other choice but to reiterate what I had previously stated, in order to point out the ignorance of including me in your rant.

My only previous mention of the widows, was to say that they had obviously agreed with this sentencing. Now, I see that it was more than simply accepting and agreeing this sentence. They pushed for it.

Prosecutors had asked for a jail sentence of at least 10 years for Ryan LeVin..........

“He needs to go to prison. He needs to be penalized for his actions,” prosecutor Stefanie Newman told a court in Fort Lauderdale.

Instead, at the urging of his victims’ families, the 36-year-old heir to a jewellery sales empire will spend two years under house arrest at his parents’ ocean-front apartment......

Lawyers for the two women, who reasoned that if LeVin were sent to jail they would not receive a settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit they had filed against him, collected cheques for undisclosed sums from his attorney.

“The need for restitution does outweigh the need for prison,” Judge McCarthy said.

LeVin chewed gum during the hearing, offered no apology and, through his lawyer, requested the return of his $120,000 Porsche 911 Turbo.......
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/90ce2c509b82.jpg[/atsimg]

LeVin is heir to Jewels by Park Lane, which has an estimated annual income of $155 million.

LeVin will be confined to one of his parents’ two apartments in Point of Americas, a complex overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and a private beach. He can leave the property to attend church and to exercise, allowing him to use amenities including two pools and three fitness centres.

An aerial view of the LeVin Family Estate in Illinois.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cfb597e63e2e.jpg[/atsimg]

Montreal Gazette

edit on 6/5/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Wow! Talk about a bunch of [color=B1FB17]judgmental pr*cks on this thread!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a7a960044ee.jpg[/atsimg]

You did not directly quote me within your babbling gibberish, but the fact that my name stands out above any other word, is not acceptable. I am left with no other choice but to reiterate what I had previously stated, in order to point out the ignorance of including me in your rant.

My only previous mention of the widows, was to say that they had obviously agreed with this sentencing. Now, I see that it was more than simply accepting and agreeing this sentence. They pushed for it.

As you so noted, I did not include you in my babbling gibberish. Your name does not stand out above the rest. I did not include you in my rant. I agree with you it's obvious they agreed with the sentence or the judge wouldn't have done this. We still don't know anything whatsoever about them, their situation nor their motives. AND, even if you don't agree with them, the other posters (who I DID include in my post) bashing them is still judging them.

Ignorant? Yes, we all are on this matter of the widows... That was my point.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Why did you quote my post in your rant ?

I made no comment regarding the level of love they may or may not have had for their husbands. Nor did I say anything that implied that they cared more about money than they did for their husbands.

This. The implication is there.

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes But what about the part the two widows played in this ? They were only too happy to accept a fat pay-cheque rather than fighting for justice to be served.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Your name does not stand out above the rest.

Aaah, ok. I must have forgotten about my super-human vision, because when I re-size this down to 50%, my name is all that I can read. Right there in the middle.
Bolder, Bigger, & Brighter than any other group of letters.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5984dfc2ebcb.jpg[/atsimg]

We still don't know anything whatsoever about them, their situation nor their motives.

I provided some detail on that.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Your name does not stand out above the rest.

Aaah, ok. I must have forgotten about my super-human vision, because when I re-size this down to 50%, my name is all that I can read. Right there in the middle.
Bolder, Bigger, & Brighter than any other group of letters.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5984dfc2ebcb.jpg[/atsimg]

We still don't know anything whatsoever about them, their situation nor their motives.

I provided some detail on that.

I see now what you are talking about about your name standing out. That is because I quoted a poster who was replying to you. I was not responding to you. Normal quoting is all.

You provided no detail on on the widows, their situation or their motives. You are ignorant of those facts along with the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Everyone already knows this. If you are rich and powerful enough, you can avoid getting your life ruined. If not, tough luck.

The only thing this article truly shows is the low caliber of women these businessmen chose to marry. They are ok w/their husbands death as long as they are getting paid.

Don't need to be a genius to see that!! Call it ignorance if you want, but I've met too many females just like this...

Maybe now they can get the Middleton treatment at the spa they've always wanted. They earned it!

edit on 6/5/11 by Tharsis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Lawyers for the two women, who reasoned that if LeVin were sent to jail they would not receive a settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit they had filed against him, collected cheques for undisclosed sums from his attorney.

“The need for restitution does outweigh the need for prison,” Judge McCarthy said.

This statement right here is completely ludicrous. I am willing to bet that their lawyer did a lot of smoke blowing up the widows' A#s because I know for a FACT That both can be very achieved. I personally know someone involved in such a case with a "wealthy" Drunk driver killer, She got both plenty of "Undisclosed" restitution and also REAL Jail time for the offender that killed her child. This just attests to the fact that the sheeple will beleive whatever a person in a suit and tie tells them, this seperates the ignorant from the knowledgeable, and those two women were ignorant. But, they also aren't Americans. I am not putting them down either, just stating that they were manipulated and it didn't start nor does it end with this case.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
The only thing this article truly shows is the low caliber of women these businessmen chose to marry. They are ok w/their husbands death as long as they are getting paid.

Don't need to be a genius to see that!! Call it ignorance if you want, but I've met too many females just like this...

Maybe now they can get the Middleton treatment at the spa they've always wanted. They earned it!

How do you know this? Because of the caliber of the women you've met? Ridiculous assertion!

Please refer to my post here. It was meant for you too.
edit on 5/6/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Okay, just to clarify.. I beleieve that if the widows of the victim wanted this guy to serve prison time he would have done. Instead they chose to take a monetary settlement.
In all fairness, from what a previous poster has stated, these widows could have families to feed and kids to put through school and college. In that case I believe that the money this 'villian' has paid out will be put to good use and hopefully the children of the victims will at least be able to further themselves and build good lives from now on.
My only problem with the whole situation is that someone with means is able to more or less buy themselves out of going to prision. If this had happened to any other ordinary person, they would be looking at serious time behind bars.

No offence intended to the families of the victims from my previous comments. It was, I guess a gut reaction to reading this story.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Its clear cut what went down, and yes its all about money to the two widows, to the whole justice system, no doubt they all came out with $$ because of this. Though what is really messed up is not that its a clear case of paying the widows money to get out of jail time, thats obvious. And most likely if the widows pushed they could of got a little of both money and more jail time for the guy. Though probably not as much money but whatever.

Whats really messed up this guy with his record should not even be allowed on the road.

At the time of the crash, LeVin was on probation in Illinois for a 2006 case in which he had driven into a Chicago police officer and instigated a chase on the Kennedy Expressway. Court records show LeVin has more than 50 traffic violations and a long history of drug abuse.

I know a guy who once ran from a speeding ticket, when he was young and stupid and under a lot of stress at the time in his life. And that little offence will follow him for life in everything he does anything from getting a job to his record, to all the penalties they put on you once you get in the system. Suffice to say he is #ed for life in some ways, and really thats the only big thing besides parking tickets on his record.

Yet here we have a guy who drove into a cop then took off while on probation, and has over 50 traffic violations on his record and not to even mention the drugs. And all he gets because he can afford it, is a slap on the wrist. And now he is on house arrest most likely in a mansion living it up. So # that! who care about the widows and if they are greedy ho's, its nobody's problem but the two men, who are dead now. And so it don't matter.

Fact is this guy will be back on the road in a few short years, and probably back in his fixed supped up Porsche 911, while a regular guy if he committed 1% of what he did would be in jail of #ed for life by the system. Thats were the law is a joke, the rest as in the pay outs his family did so the widows wont pursue the case, well its obvious what went down.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join