It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firewalls could become illegal in some US states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 03:10 AM
link   
www.rense.com...

alright, for those of you that dont know what a firewall is, it's basically what keeps the hackers at bay from cracking into people's networks. It can either be software, and or a hardware combination. This is very bad as it will leave networks WIDE open to attacks. This is just getting ridiculous. These firewall devices are wonderful for security, beware the police state commeth. hehehe, I hope to God that this stuff doesnt go through. I dont think that it will due to IT company's will not stand for it.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   
A good rule of thumb is to distrust anything you find on Rense. Our long-standing experience with this site proves this correct.

You won't find any conspiracy old timer here at ATS who relies on Rense for information.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 07:45 AM
link   
any particular reason not to believe what this site says? I've only recently come across it.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 08:30 AM
link   
They lie?

Rense has long been known as a sensational disonformationist within conspiracy circles... only the "disinformation" favors conspiracy theories, not government agenda.

In this case, the story is based on about 40% fact, 30% sensationalized supposition, and 30% plain erroneous supposition. In other words, one of Rense's more favorable ratios

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In fact, the original article made it quite clear that there was no possibility of firewalls' being banned: it merely printed the proposed legislation to show how little some lawmakers understood technology. The article made it quite clear that subsequent revisions, by more competent lawyers, would remove any possible interpretation that might make firewalls illegal.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Damn and I have 2 firewalls on my computer. One hardware firewall in my Lynksis router and a software one on my comp. Guess im going to jail.
I agree with William. This story is most likely crap.

[Edited on 29-3-2003 by Ocelot]

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 06:07 AM
link   
'Use a Firewall, Go to Jail
Bills twist the DMCA into another odd shape
Massachusetts, Texas, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alaska, Tennessee, and Colorado are all preparing to consider bills that would extend the reach of the DMCA in such a way that could ban the possession, sale, or use of technologies that "conceal from a communication service provider ... the existence or place of origin or destination of any communication". This would in effect criminalize technologies such as firewalls and NAT. Even encrypted email, which obscures the "To" line of the email from your ISP via encryption, could be included under the various legislations' vague language. '

from www.dslreports.com
Super-DMCA Already Passed in Michigan
www.freedom-to-tinker.com...

look under the March 26th date and you'll find the link to the actual states who have already passed, or are going to pass these laws.

it's on the front page.

here's the link to the actual bill in Michigan

www.michiganlegislature.org...

also, the ACLU cyber chief is concerned with rights

www.cnn.com...

more proof of the fit hitting the shan?

[Edited on 31-3-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer..."conceal from a communication service provider ... the existence or place of origin or destination of any communication". This would in effect criminalize technologies such as firewalls and NAT.

Pardon me if I'm wrong about this...But if you configure your firewall to block your own ISP link, wouldn't that make it *very* difficult to even connect up to the 'net at all?...

At the very least, you'd *have* to be able to let your own server provider into your computer, just so you can initialize your own linkup.

top topics

join