It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House to Vote Regarding War Powers Resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
So, today the House will be voting to remove our Armed Forces from Libya pursuant of the War Powers Resolution.
Source

This is a great sign! I've sent out emails and Twitter messages (yeah, I know) to my five Congressmen hope I may have some type of minuscule influence.

The 60-day deadline regarding military operations came and went last week largely unnoticed. A handful of Congressmen brought it up, but no vote was actually held and the President did not seek Congressional authorization to continue missions in Libya. Instead, the POTUS has said that since we are only providing critical support to NATO and our "kinetic" missions are limited, he doesn't need to be given authority.

So much for being a student of law.

I hope the House reigns in the POTUS. We have checks and balances in our government for a reason, and our Constitution and law cannot be trumped to further the desires of NATO.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Great, I posted that and I find...
NATO Sets Up Showdown w/ Congress

And at Open Congress

"NATO and partners have just decided to extend our mission for Libya for another 90 days."
- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen in a statement.

House Republican aides tell Power Play that a vote scheduled for today on Ohio Democrat Rep. Dennis Kucinich’s bill that would force the U.S. to withdraw from the Libyan civil war was yanked from the schedule only after it became clear that it might succeed.

Not sure how true this is that the bill was pulled, will need to find more.

Edit: Got a video from RT!

This is ridiculous. If Pres. Obama actually supports NATO through this, continuing air strikes (however sporadic) without Congressional authorization, that will be a blatant violation of law.
edit on 6/1/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yea Verily doth our Emperor speak. Thou shall not relieth on thyne scurvy congress for the Great One seeks NOT their council.
His Utterance Doth Speakith for thyne own Constituents and none other.

Yea The One Hath Decreed What He Wishes.

(All bow 5 times towards the nearest golf course in D.C.)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A felony violation of the war powers act. Obama is now fighting an illegal war, and he lied to congress telling them actions were winding down. 48hrs later he sends in squadrons of attack helicopters and then uses cluster bombs.

Its time for dictator obama to step down and face charges in the Hauge.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Remember when he said our involvement would last no more than 3 weeks?

I argued our involvement was unconstitutional before, and now I will do it again. I can't find another source confirming the bill was pulled from the House yet.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
A felony violation of the war powers act. Obama is now fighting an illegal war, and he lied to congress telling them actions were winding down. 48hrs later he sends in squadrons of attack helicopters and then uses cluster bombs.

In fairness arguing he has direct control i.e." sent in a helicopter squadron and used cluster bombs"is ridiculous.

He has overall responsibility;but "tactical"(i.e. which compass direction ;which bomb) and "strategic" (i.e. which towns) decisions ARE and SHOULD be left up to the commanders on the ground. Not some politician thousands of miles removed. We learned that lesson in Viet Nam.
edit on 1-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

In fairness arguing he has direct control i.e." sent in a helicopter squadron and used cluster bombs"is ridiculous.

He has overall responsibility;but "tactical"(i.e. which compass direction ;which bomb) and "strategic" (i.e. which towns) decisions ARE and SHOULD be left up to the commanders on the ground. Not some politician thousands of miles removed. We learned that lesson in Viet Nam.

He doesn't deserve any kind of bypass; those "tactical" and "strategic" decisions couldn't happen without his permission, so ultimately he is at fault.

The fact is that our government wants Ghadaffi out and will continue bombing Libya until he is killed or steps down (which he won't). We launched offensive military strikes on a sovereign nation that posed no threat to the United States under a humanitarian guise in an attempt to overthrow its leader.

That is an act of war; it is impermissible and unconstitutional, and it's made worse by the fact that Obama is completely disregarding Congress.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

It's a bit more than a felony. Treason comes to mind.

This is a grievous slap in the face to the American people. Herr Obama stands there with that goofy grin saying he's going to Hope and Change us out of a bad situation caused by Adolph Bush, and then he takes a dump on the Constitution and tells us, "That smell is Change. I Hope you like it."

/TOA

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
You didn't bother to read my thread but merely lamented there on how little attention the topic at the heart of your thread was receiving. You have not yet considered the possibility of the Democrats and in particular the Obama administration being behind the Weiner scandal. Here's part of your post:

What I have a problem with is the fact that the media has given his erection more coverage than Congress pulling a bill that would enforce the War Powers Resolution, all because it looked like the House would vote in favor of ending operations. - Konah

This POTUS thrives on bobbing and weaving. Smoke screens abound for the man that signs legislation with a machine, extending the Patriot Act, from across an ocean. The more small fires his administration creates, the less attention the major issues, our continued involvement in Libya for example, receive. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Breaking news : the traitors in congress didn't pass the bill.

They allowed Obama, yet again, to trash the constitution.

Republicans, democrats, same scum.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The wars are highly profitable to the corporations which run the USA.

Thus, don't expect the wars to stop until the federal government is unable to fund them.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The only reason the U.S would stay militarily,, in the "Libyian Campain" would be to get a bigger slice of the booty,,
as far as Rules go they went out the window in the "revised ,,,North Atlantic Treaty Organization Rules. 1974 e.d."
Thats nato for short,
,( what part of the mediteranian is the north atlantic by the way??)
,,changed the rules,, Nato now includes the protection of the Mediterainian,,(hey was news to me?)

a section of the revised rule book, states "No Ground Forces" allowed,,
no problem , change the rules,,

So i think we can all see where this is heading,

new topics

top topics

join