It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog eaters versus Dog Lovers, clash in China.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Does that look like a place you would eat? The type of menu you would find appealing?

The mutts were destined for the dinner table - all 520 of them crammed onto a truck hurtling down a Beijing highway toward waiting restaurants in northeastern China.

From there, things began spiraling out of control. News of the confrontation hit the Chinese blogosphere, sending more than 200 animal activists flocking immediately to the highway. Traffic on the road slowed to a standstill. Dozens of police officers were called in. Animal activists, however, kept arriving with reinforcements, carrying water, dog food, even trained veterinarians for a siege that ended up lasting 15 hours.

Whould any of you be willing to do this? To save the lives of 520 dogs? I know i would, because for me this is just beyond cruel. There is however another angle that some might take on this.
Lets say you have nothing else to eat, but you have dogs, would you eat the dog then? The thing is though, that it is not like there is a shortage of food in china, they are not starving, so even that argument is hollow.

And then this, i found interesting, and gave me a perspective into how the Chinese view this:

"I still don't understand what was immoral about my shipment. People also eat cow and sheep. What's the difference?" he asked. "They were just a group of rich bullies who own pets and have nothing better to do."

LINK , please read the full article.

Some of the Chinese people seem to view the dogs purely as food, like he made the comparison to cow and sheep. So i understand his view on it.

I strongly disagree with it though. I find it disgusting and disturbing to eat an animal that is bred to be a pet, a companion to human beings, not just a piece of meat. I am aware that this might also be a cultural thing, but still even taking that into consideration, imho, it is wrong.

Your thoughts please.

vvv

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Different cultures...

having said that, I'd never enter a barbaric pos country that does this.

And I would not welcome citizens of these lands who hold these views, into this country as new citizens.

But it's an unwinnable argument - people will use the cattle argument, others will say it's just a dumb dog/cat, others will simply go "Hmmmm dogburgers!!!!! lolololol" and never post again, etc... too many loopers...

So having expressed my utter disgust at so called humans that have so much damn food that they can stick crabs LIVE into vending machines in subways, that they still find it necessary to eat domestic pets... I think it's best I leave it there, or I'll likely get a whisper in my u2u about removed posts and point deductions...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
i wouldn't eat a dog or cat, but im willing to admit its because i had plenty of other choices in my culture.

my same culture has also a taste for some parts of pigs and cows that im not fond of eating, but on the other hand i eat snails, wich is a treat here, but a disgusting animal to most cultures.

this boils down to culture, education and first and foremost, a personal choice.

i really dont have nothing against the chinese, i can say from all of eearths modern cultures, they arent petty or picky in what they choose to consume.

a cat is much like a rabbit and some bread those as pets too, same way a dog can be seen as a lamb.

but they go as far as eating insects.

plus taking into account the number of people in china, i dont really think they can afford to be picky.

and im willing to bet they do show more respect and humane treatment to dogs and cats than what the west does for pigs, cows and chickens.

and the source is a site for pets, pretty bias in this issue.

on a deeper level of understanding, making animals into pets can be as wrong as eating them, but thats perspective for you.
edit on 1/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I have to totally agree with you mate.

Domestic pets should not be used as food.

Like i said, if it is a situation of life or death, and people are dying, and this is their last resorts, it is a different matter. But, as things stand now, there is no justification to do this for me.

Vvv

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Hmmm dog burgers ,although the one on the menu looks more like a dingo,and they eat people (well babies)
off with their heads

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I eat cows, which some people find barbaric, and I would eat dogs too, which other people find barbaric.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

right, but where do you draw a line on wich animals are pets and wich arent, you can't.

because that too is on a cultural level.

the rate we humans start to make different species as "pets" soon we wont have nothing to eat.

we use the term pet as something we hold dear, like the animals would feel the same we do.

but

im also pretty sure this human pet relationship is just convenience for the animals.

the animals hang around us because they know theres alot of nourishment around us.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I eat cows, which some people find barbaric, and I would eat dogs too, which other people find barbaric.

So you would basically eat any animal, no matter if it is a pet or not. Just because it is meat?

I see the point you are trying to make, but i do not think dogs was, or is bred to be eaten. I love dogs, and would never eat a dog or cat, or any domesticated pet.

Taste differ i geuss.

vvv

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Yes, but dogs and cats were never bred on a large scale, like in herds for example to be eaten. Cows, pigs, chickens, etc have been bred for that specific purpose. They were not bred to be human companions, like dogs are.

Dogs help people do many things in everyday life. Look at the guide dogs for the blind, dogs that sniff out narcotics, rescue dogs. etc etc.

I do not see a cow performing those same duties.

VVV

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Say no to dogs as food i say,my state in Australia introduced laws to make the eating of dogs & cats illegal,one of the benefits of multiculturalism eh

A newspaper report about a man apparently wanting to eat a puppy has prompted the Victorian Government to ban the consumption of dogs and cats. Agriculture Minister Keith Hamilton yesterday said the government wanted to stop people engaging in the "abhorrent" practice of eating dogs and cats

www.theage.com.au...
edit on 1/6/2011 by Travlla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Now I will say I can't see a truly valid point to say Dogs should be considered an animal for eating regularly, or as livestock.

Dogs can accomplish tasks your otherwise useless animals cannot.

I mean dogs are man's best friend we both made each others lives easier, in fact we created dog, without them we might not have made it to be the modern dog eating folks we've become.
And Man Created Dog

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I'm from the Philippines and I can personally relate to this situation. Our company driver comes from a province about 5-7 hours from the capital (Manila) and he eats dogs. Its nothing new especially to us Asians. I for one, do not eat dogs. Because I grew up in the metropolitan area, where dogs are kept as pets. Like many others said, differences in culture.

Nice post.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I certainly don't advocate the eating of pets, though it's a well known fact that pigs can be equally intelligent to dogs and also make great companions. Does that make eating pigs wrong?... don't ask me I'm not into pork anyways. On a side note, 10,000 stray dogs and cats are euthanized per day in the U.S.A. . All that goes to a landfill.
edit on 07/17/2009 by Mumbotron because: duh

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

it is not as wide spread as people think.

it is being addressed, i have never eaten dog and truthfully, i would try it ONCE!

it is said to keep you warm in winter.

i've seen horrible pics and my wife, (chinese) has seen it first hand and understands it.

we are dog lovers, btw.

s.koreans are big eaters of dog.

china eats alot of weird stuff, i went to a snake dinner with my mother-inlaw and some older relatives.

i cook/eat rattlesnakes, but dogs, guts and bugs i won't eat.

or cook.

they don't view them as pets. like rabbit? pigeons? frogs? turtles?

fish?

i know it's hard to keep a bluefin in a tank but isn't it like eating great danes instead of pugs?

i have a pic somewhere of a dog dish, i'll look for it.

edit on 1-6-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Are the Chinese eating each other ?? maybe they should be...
Eating pet animals WTF is that....

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

they aren't pets to the eaters.

i'm not liking it either but it is being worked on.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

I find this one of the most disheartening facts about foreign countries like Japan and China and stops me from having a full understanding of the people and what motivates them.
I think if we had any integrity we might have held out for human rights in China BEFORE we gifted them with Sam Walton and his dream for Walmarts.
Once we secured human rights we might have done a little more to protect innocent and helpless animals from diabolical ends at the hands of heartless humans.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

we may not eat 'em, but im pretty sure the west has more animal abuse than the east.

i wont go to the food processing issue as that is the most blatant one, but let's see, bullfighting, rodeos, racing, talent shows, circus, zoos, fashion acessories etc etc etc

oh yeah and the big one, as guinea pigs for all sorts of laboratory tests.

we are a descriminating culture.

we give labels, statuses, this is this that is that, this is for this that is for that, we categorize, excrutinize and do it all over again.

at least the chinese do not discriminate when it comes to food.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
So lets say you were bought up eating dogs...and you venture into another country where people eat cows, frogs, pigs, sheep, deer and pigeons?
Wouldn't you find that disgusting?

Someone tell me what the difference is?

Edit to add: Chickens and frogs and such are domestic pets as well.
edit on 1-6-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
So lets say you were bought up eating dogs...and you venture into another country where people eat cows, frogs, pigs, sheep, deer and pigeons?
Wouldn't you find that disgusting?

Someone tell me what the difference is?

Edit to add: Chickens and frogs and such are domestic pets as well.
edit on 1-6-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

That is purely hypothetical. No one is brought up eating dogs, it does not provide all the nutrition that the human body requires. So your argument is wrong.

The difference is dogs is capable of helping humans in all sorts of situations. The only help i get from a cow or a chicken is their nutrition.

VVv

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join