It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#!@*! Aussies to be fined for swearing!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
you're not aloud to swear on ATS, i dont see anyone complaining about that, is ATS trying to take your freedoms away?
swearing is antisocial, many people find it offensive. Surely i'm not the only person who thinks laws like this are good?

ATS is a PRIVATE BUSINESS. They can decide the rules for interaction. The Austrailian Government is NOT a private business. And they have NO BUSINESS telling people what to think or say.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

you're not aloud to swear on ATS, i dont see anyone complaining about that, is ATS trying to take your freedoms away?
swearing is antisocial, many people find it offensive. Surely i'm not the only person who thinks laws like this are good?

ATS is a privately owned entity that can make it's own rules for participation and if someone doesn't like it then they have the freedom to go elsewhere.

(it seems that rogerstigers beat me to it)
edit on 2-6-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

To a cop i would reply "DO NOT CAST YOUR FILTY SPELLS AT ME SIR! FOR YOU ARE A VILE MAN WHO HAS NO LIFE! QUIT PICKING ON THE CUSSERS AND GIVE US NEW WORDS SO PEOPLE ARE NOT OFFENDED!"

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Sorry, but its just another simple revenue raising tactic.

Offensive language laws have been around since the year dot.

If you go up to a copper and say. "Hey you big fat C&#^"...What do you think hes gonna do..thank you?

Watch the US show "Cops", EVERYONE in the US are scared of the cops and always call them sir. Wadda ya think the cops would do, if some home boy called him a Buckin Funt???

Its just that recently, many magistrates have made it clear in courts that the common F and C words are now so prevalent in daily speech that they can no longer be considered offensive, unless other people are offended.

Making "on the spot fines", takes it out of the courts and people are intimidated into paying the fine or else.....hence instant, out of court, revenue raising.

Be interesting to see if the Cops will actually enforce it tho, many laws are not enforced these days...loitering, spitting on the footpath etc etc

Australia has not all of a sudden become Puritan Virginia of the 1700s.

It is Just simple pure, quick and easy revenue raising.
But I agree, Aussies are their own worst enemy, because they wont stand up and fight for their rights.....we are conditioned to take it.....Probably something to do with the fact, that we have a proud history of fighting every one else's wars, but not our own. Even tho the Japanese did bomb the country. We have Never had a Revolution, a Civil war, a Racial war, a war fought on home soil or anything, unlike nearly every other country.

I Know Im especially sick of being hit with reduced speed limits, increased speed camera revenue.....why those Mo Fos!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Local Lebanese swear at police all the time in their native tongue, so it would seem only citizens swearing in english will be fined. Shouldnt it be all language? I would like to see them police that!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

fines are never about the money, if this law is pursued what money will be made will be like a drop in the ocean.
it's like the argument that speed cameras are there to make money, just not true.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
So, you blokes just going to accept this?

In most part Aussies are lazy sheeple.They will not get off their butts to protest,thats why we are going to be charged carbon tax.Aussies are passive in that they will not stand up against government,thats why draconian laws pass so easily.The Australian government relys on this passive role more than the sheeple can ever imagine,the media helps them hand in hand.
Australia is very very closely following the same steps as the USA.
If you have ever seen a puppet prime minister,Gillards address to industry last night on abc was a classic,it was like being read a story from a teacher!

Says who? Don't speak for me ever! Just because you are an immature twerp doesn't mean the rest of us are. Keep your pathetic political views to yourself until you are grown up enough to know what you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
there gonna make so much money off this law. but will people pay the ticket or just brush it off?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Sounds like the Aussie government is desperate for some new revenues.

This should certainly remedy that situation.

But they may need to hire more law enforcement, foot patrols, rent-a-cops, video cameras, tape recorders, paper/pencil pushers, judges.... oh, and more jail cells for when the fines don't get paid.

Hmmm, come to think of it... they just spent all of their newly found revenues.

Or maybe it saves me from losing the skin off my knuckles as I punch the foul mouth's teeth down his throat after he has sworn in front of some elderly woman or called an innocent female bystander an effing sl*t. ( feel free to insert any foul mouthed scenario in place of the ones presented )

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsend
Aussies haven't shown much balls since the Eureka Stockade, our government has been eroding our rights for some time, at a guess since they murdered and burnt alive the Kelly Gang in Glenrowan. No swearing another sanitation of the Australian way.

If you think it is so bad then let me know. I'll shout you a one way plane ticket to any country you choose. I'll even carry your suitcases for you.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51

Offensive language laws have been around since the year dot.

If you go up to a copper and say. "Hey you big fat C&#^"...What do you think hes gonna do..thank you?

Watch the US show "Cops", EVERYONE in the US are scared of the cops and always call them sir. Wadda ya think the cops would do, if some home boy called him a Buckin Funt???

Its just that recently, many magistrates have made it clear in courts that the common F and C words are now so prevalent in daily speech that they can no longer be considered offensive, unless other people are offended.

Making "on the spot fines", takes it out of the courts and people are intimidated into paying the fine or else.....hence instant, out of court, revenue raising.

Be interesting to see if the Cops will actually enforce it tho, many laws are not enforced these days...loitering, spitting on the footpath etc etc

Australia has not all of a sudden become Puritan Virginia of the 1700s.

It is Just simple pure, quick and easy revenue raising.
But I agree, Aussies are their own worst enemy, because they wont stand up and fight for their rights.....we are conditioned to take it.....Probably something to do with the fact, that we have a proud history of fighting every one else's wars, but not our own. Even tho the Japanese did bomb the country. We have Never had a Revolution, a Civil war, a Racial war, a war fought on home soil or anything, unlike nearly every other country.

I Know Im especially sick of being hit with reduced speed limits, increased speed camera revenue.....why those Mo Fos!!!!

Please don't speak for me, in fact please don't speak on behalf of any Australian. You are obviously too young to know what you are talking about and are only making a fool of yourself.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

ATS is a PRIVATE BUSINESS. They can decide the rules for interaction. The Austrailian Government is NOT a private business. And they have NO BUSINESS telling people what to think or say.

Do you swear in front of your mother/wife/daughter/grandmother/auntie/etc...?

Do it in front of me and see what happens

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Ghost Who Walks

Hit a nerve did we? The truth hurts doesn't it?
Emotion blinds.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The Ghost Who Walks

So as an australian, what would you consider obnoxious swearing? I gave an example about what I consider obnoxious here in canada, but it seems australia has a more open society to this? Im just wondering where this law draws the line with which words are considered offensive according to the culture and australian society.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This is all happening because the $AUD is at a high.

My two cents anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well also, In the UK you can get arrested for swearing if someone else hears you swear.
Section 5. Public order act. Although i think the act tries to keep the peace i think getting arrested for swearing
is too far. There are abuses of this act. One i found on youtube.

Section 5. Public order act

John Glen MP calls for action on Section 5

ARRESTED! McLibel Protester (McDonalds)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join