It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#!@*! Aussies to be fined for swearing!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
They should have never given up their guns!

Let's hope the U.S. learns a lesson from their pain.

I hope you ausies can do something to turn the tide down there!

Oh for crying out loud.....

Look, I know you meant well by that comment but it's just plain ignorant. You lot over in America still have your guns, and yet day by day your freedoms are taken from you and you are spat upon by TPTB - how exactly are your guns helping you now?

Anyhoo.....bugger them I say. Oooooo does my use of the word 'bugger' constitute a fine I wonder? What about calling them wankers?

Hmm.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
afterall they were all convicts to begin with hehehe

Wrong

My family, like many other Aussie families, is descended from the guards that were sent over to look after the convict population. What irks me and most other Aussies is the fact that many people around the world seem to think the convicts were just dumped here and left to fend for themselves with no supervision - and our entire population has somehow managed to spring from that.

Please read a history book.
edit on 1/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yeah I am very curious as to what they are going to consider swears in Australia. I mean theres some I don't find too offensive and then theres a couple big ones I can't stand hearing (constant F bombs and one a few of my lady friends apparently can't stand the C bomb lol)

It's a fine line, while I think there should be a decorum in public I don't think that it would be so cut and dry like they would want it to be. I also wonder how such a law would make the people react. Cause more daily swearing just to spite the law perhaps?

Do they really consider bugger a more taboo/swear in Australia?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

Do they really consider bugger a more taboo/swear in Australia?

Hehe no, I was just kidding about that (I hope lol).

My wife dropped the C-bomb the other day, it was absolutely hilarious as she doesn't swear all that often (as opposed to me hehe).

Honestly though, if one is a little sensitive to hearing constant swearing I would avoid this country lol. They might as well just send out fines to every residence in the country now and get it over and done with lol.
edit on 1/6/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well if its a minority that is sensitive especially a culture where its more acceptable I can see this not becoming reality. Where Im from, the most obnoxious swearing is normally from youth and people with no manners. I heard a bus conversation today (as did the rest of the damn bus) about a girl and her exams. This is pretty similar to what I heard, given more or less f bombs :

Girl "oh my %$#@!ing god I have like 3 exams all in one day, thats like 6$#@%!ing 6 damn hours" (that one grabbed everyones attention of course lol)

Boy (im pretty sure it was a boy, i was too annoyed to look) "thats %$@!*ing Bull%^$@!, i got like $#@%^!*ing 1 or like 2....@#$%^ i dont %$^&%@ing remember "

Girl "well %#@!& I wish I was that $#@&*ing lucky"

Okay I really cant go on, it was such a mundane conversation made overly dramatic for everyone to hear. One lady after 5 minutes had asked them to keep it down around her grand daughter, they obliged to a point but just continued to swear at a lower volume. I could still hear them and the woman was a seat closer then I so it wasnt much improvement.
Mind you its not always the young, ive seen a few adults do it too.
The above is just an example of what I personally consider to be obnoxious and in public for no valid reason.
edit on 1-6-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So if I would live down under and play some Damo, who would get a fine?

This is declaring death to Aussie rap?

@#$% em all!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

This has been happening here in Virginia Beach for years. About 6 years ago I personally received a ticket and the $75 fine to go with it for swearing in public. The principled side of me wanted to fight it and I think that I would have won, but I didn't want to waste all of that money on legal fees... so I paid the $75 and shut up like the good little sheep I'm expected to be. I would fight it now if it were to happen again.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is utterly retarded. I've always admired Australians for being able to keep things real. Based on what I'm told by my friend who grew up in Australia, they tend to not have any regards for political correctness. They use "offensive" language in a joking, tongue-in-cheek manner.

# this legislation.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by pianopraze
They should have never given up their guns!

Let's hope the U.S. learns a lesson from their pain.

I hope you ausies can do something to turn the tide down there!

Oh for crying out loud.....

Look, I know you meant well by that comment but it's just plain ignorant. You lot over in America still have your guns, and yet day by day your freedoms are taken from you and you are spat upon by TPTB - how exactly are your guns helping you now?

Anyhoo.....bugger them I say. Oooooo does my use of the word 'bugger' constitute a fine I wonder? What about calling them wankers?

Hmm.

The second amendment and our right to bear arms is to be used as a last resort. American citizens haven't been made uncomfortable enough to want to use them in defense of freedom and liberty. Our Founders tried diplomacy and the political process for decades before the revolutionary war. We aren't quite there yet.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Its not only in Australia, its been all over the BBC today that the police are doing this in Barnsley England with a view to roll it out all over the UK if it's successful there.

In the articles I've read today they do state that it will only be enforced if its carrying a threat to someone or that someone who heard the swearing was intimidated, so carte blanche for the police to arrest and charge anyone there.

This is already covered in our threatening behaviour laws, but i can already see this being abused. Hypothetical situation, I'm down an alleyway out of view I'm accosted, punched in the face, I start swinging back and swearing like a trooper. I get the fine because there is evidence I swore while none that I got hit first.

Not sure who said it but the law is an ass, and this last sentence cost me 80 quid ffs lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
Thats why i love america so much. I can say what ever the hell I want. Live free or die.

Walk up to a plod and say "I have a bomb strapped to my chest!"

Bet you don't.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
So, you blokes just going to accept this?

There was a movie about cricket here decades ago, called Bodyline. Don't like cricket (yeah yeah) so only remember this one line:

English captain knocks on Australian teams door:

English: "Excuse me, but one of your team called me a bastard."
Australian: "Yeah? Hang on... Hey, which one of you bastards, called this bastard a bastard?"

Yeah the cops have a culture of swearing that they have admitted to. And they're way to OK with charging the public with swearing.

This will just create new revenue they will cash in on. Why not make it illegal to poop?

That'll be next I guess.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
So, you blokes just going to accept this?

In most part Aussies are lazy sheeple.They will not get off their butts to protest,thats why we are going to be charged carbon tax.Aussies are passive in that they will not stand up against government,thats why draconian laws pass so easily.The Australian government relys on this passive role more than the sheeple can ever imagine,the media helps them hand in hand.
Australia is very very closely following the same steps as the USA.
If you have ever seen a puppet prime minister,Gillards address to industry last night on abc was a classic,it was like being read a story from a teacher!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
that is re$%^#ingdiculous...I want to see a protest in australia over this...they can all band up and protest with signs with middle fingers while shouting obscenities...that would be one of the coolest protests EVER

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
that is re$%^#ingdiculous...I want to see a protest in australia over this...they can all band up and protest with signs with middle fingers while shouting obscenities...that would be one of the coolest protests EVER

It's funny you say that, but I can't remember the last time I've seen an Aussie protest.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

come to think of it...neither can I...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Aussies haven't shown much balls since the Eureka Stockade, our government has been eroding our rights for some time, at a guess since they murdered and burnt alive the Kelly Gang in Glenrowan. No swearing another sanitation of the Australian way.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
you're not aloud to swear on ATS, i dont see anyone complaining about that, is ATS trying to take your freedoms away?
swearing is antisocial, many people find it offensive. Surely i'm not the only person who thinks laws like this are good?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
you're not aloud to swear on ATS, i dont see anyone complaining about that, is ATS trying to take your freedoms away?
swearing is antisocial, many people find it offensive. Surely i'm not the only person who thinks laws like this are good?

I see it the same way you do, but the law needs to be down right specific, because this is life and not a forum. Like with my above story, I found that to be obnoxious behaviour and if I could of slapped a fine on it I would have. But if the F bombs were "damns" im not sure I would feel the same way. I would hope it would act as a successful deterrent against pointless public behaviour for the sake of attention or whatever it is they are swearing so loudly about. Im curious as to what the outcome of this is in Australia.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sounds like the Aussie government is desperate for some new revenues.

This should certainly remedy that situation.

But they may need to hire more law enforcement, foot patrols, rent-a-cops, video cameras, tape recorders, paper/pencil pushers, judges.... oh, and more jail cells for when the fines don't get paid.

Hmmm, come to think of it... they just spent all of their newly found revenues.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join