It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I broke my finger/need advice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Yesterday, while clearing out some junk from a shed, my finger got bent backwards. Today it is very swollen and bruised. It hurts a little bit as long as I don't move it, but REALLY hurts if I touch it or try to use it. I do not have insurance so I really don't want to go to the ER......so my question is this....will it heal on it's own? I think all the ER will do is put a splint on and give me a script for pain medicine right? So is it safe to NOT go to the ER, and let it heal on it's own?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You're right that there's not a lot that can be done about it. The only concern is that it heals in the proper alignment and sets correctly. It would be in your best interest to make sure it wasn't healing at an odd angle or you'll never be able to use it properly again.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ice it down if you can, other than that keep an eye on it, I do have to warn you a broken bone is extremely dangerous it can develop into a sever infection if it get's worse go to the doctor right away. Granted the finger is gonna be crooked and funky looking if it is not placed, but infection is the major issue. There should be clinics around that will give you a antibacterial shot and do it for almost nothing.
edit on 5/31/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Over here in the uk pretty well all they would do is strap the bad finger to a good one so its kept straight.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If it is straight and not bent like mentioned above, use a popsicle stick or something of the like as a splint and wrap it lightly with medical tape for a couple of weeks. That's what i do. If it isn't out of alignment, there is no need for a hospital visit.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
"I do not have insurance so I really don't want to go to the ER"

This breaks my heart when i hear this =*( I wish i could do something to fix broken healthcare

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Recently my daughter fractured her wrist, they x-rayed it to confirm the dammage, imobolised it in a cast, then took it off a few weeks later without a further x-ray, so I imagine just imobilising the finger should do the trick, and Ibuprofen is good for pain relief, and swelling/inflammation of course I would advoate getting a professional opinion, just to be on the safe side.

On a side note, getting a prfessional opinion is easy for me to say because here in the UK we can. I personally think its disgraceful that in the states you can't walk in for emmergency treatment, without the question of payment being raised, that is draconian, and really needs to change IMO

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think its crazy myself how the us dont have nhs style care thats one thing that keeps me here

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It might be worth hitting the ER or at least the hospital man...

If it doesn't heal correctly you'll have a problem with it for the rest of your life

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Thank you all for responding so fast! It's straight, just swollen. If it gets real bad I'll go, but I don't want to pay $1000 for someone to tape my finger...it's my middle finger, and I can't bend it, so it looks like I'm flipping everyone off

here's a pic of it... sorry about the crappy quality, but you can get an idea of what it looks like.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27d39712a49c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2918f298052.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is it actually broken?? Dis you hear a pop or crack?

Having damaged almost every finger, I will give you the advice a doctor just gave me(its nice to have a friend in the medical community)

1 Swelling will be normal. Use ice packs and/or keep a glass of ice water handy and stick your fingers in it.

2 if you can, tape the finger to the adjoining one(s), This will help to isolate movement and White tape is the international sign for please dont touch or poke my injury!

3 get yourself some pain relievers(duh) but dont overuse them. Ibuprofin will help with swelling/pain better than aspirin or tylenol

4 He said and I quote, " for most minor breaks go see a local doctor instead of emergency room." It will cost far less and a local doc is more likely to give payment options.

Take it easy and good luck!!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benintheuk

I know! I can't go to the hospital unless there is no other way...I went last year for a kidney stone and was charged over 2000 bucks! They didn't even admit me, I was only there 2 hours.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

It's a shame.....if I get hurt I just have to suffer through it. I had good insurance , but when I changed jobs, of course I lost it. I can't get it through my employer now, so I will have to do it myself. Of course I get hurt before I get it!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Well here, you can pretty much count on having to pay at LEAST a couple of hundred bucks even if they do nothing to you....that's just they charge for sitting in the exam room and speaking to the doctor...you're right, it's a shame.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Thanks for the advice
Yes, I heard a pop when my finger went backwards, then severe pain....but after a while, the pain eased up (I took some tylenol)....now it still hurts but only severe if I move it. I'm going to tape it now.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Honestly from that picture, it just looks like a nasty sprain...

Keep lots of ice on it, try to move it if you can... and keep moving it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My spouse and my sister have both broken their fingers and the advice that the ER Dr told my sister is if it goes black quite quickly from bruising, then it definitely is broken. I have had a big black ring around my broken ankle so I can agree with this.

Yours isn't black, so that pop could mean that you have damaged a ligament. Ice and Voltarol (Ibuprofen gel/cream) will stop bruising, as it is an anti-inflammatory. This is a trick taught to me by a Russian Dr.

I nearly broke my finger and my workplace had a medical centre. They sent me with my finger splinted to the next finger and the NHS ER promptly took it off. No xray, then just sent home. But my sister broke a toe and they did splint it next to a toe, so it all depends on who treats you.

Peace and love.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That's what I'm hoping. It looks worse in person, but unless it really gets huge I'll try to treat it myself....

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Well thank you so much....I will try that. From what everyone said, It may be a bad sprain or ligament, because there is only a little bruising right on the joint, and the rest is red and swollen (that pic didn't show it good). I guess I'll wait to see if the swelling gets worse or not. Thank you so much!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
WOW....you guys are the best! I really didn't think many people would answer. Thanks to all of you, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help me. I am going to try your advice (((((((((((hugs to you all))))))))))))

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join